Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Sep 19, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #76 of 841
Sep 19, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #77 of 841
Oooh, I am very interested in the parametric EQ on the portable unit. There aren't a lot of portables that have customizable EQ, would be nice especially for folks who are using stuff like the Audeze iSine.

Yes, the desktop AAA-788 looks nice but the portable could be the most interesting of all the new Monoprice product launches. I am now inclined to to pass on the desktop unit and try the portable instead,

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #79 of 841
Delayed again until 12/12. Damn it!

Oct 16, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #83 of 841
I just hope they are worth the wait, though I really want to see a review of them before I buy them.

How could it be worth the wait? The amp section is purportedly weak. See the manual.

How much of an advantage will the DAC section give you over what we already have. Modi 3 tests very high according to Schiit's AP report and Amir's independent testing. It's up there with $1000 DACs.

The Liquid Spark is probably a better amp than in the THX AAA. Reviews are universally favorable for that $99 unit. I believe bits stronger than the THX AAA if you go by the manuals monopMono posted last month.

$200 vs $479. You tell me which makes more sense.

Oct 16, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #84 of 841
How could it be worth the wait? The amp section is purportedly weak. See the manual.

How much of an advantage will the DAC section give you over what we already have. Modi 3 tests very high according to Schiit's AP report and Amir's independent testing. It's up there with $1000 DACs.

The Liquid Spark is probably a better amp than in the THX AAA. Reviews are universally favorable for that $99 unit. I believe bits stronger than the THX AAA if you go by the manuals monopMono posted last month.

$200 vs $479. You tell me which makes more sense.

Worth ten times its price? Riiiiiiight....

Oct 16, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #85 of 841
I don't know about the 788, but the top end THX amp has the best measurements in the world, right? It's supposed to have the lowest distortion of any amp. The 788 is supposed the best value oriented amp.

Oct 16, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #86 of 841
I don't know about the 788, but the top end THX amp has the best measurements in the world, right? It's supposed to have the lowest distortion of any amp. The 788 is supposed the best value oriented amp.

Schiit Magni 3 THD: Less than 0.001%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS, less than 0.02% at 5V RMS into 32 ohms
Monoprice 788 THD: < 0.0005%

OMG, the Schiit has as much as 40 times the distortion!

Most people believe anything below 1% is imperceptible. 40 times imperceptible is still imperceptible. Your headphones will add way more distortion than these amps.

Oct 16, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #87 of 841
Schiit Magni 3 THD: Less than 0.001%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS, less than 0.02% at 5V RMS into 32 ohms
Monoprice 788 THD: < 0.0005%

OMG, the Schiit has as much as 40 times the distortion!

Most people believe anything below 1% is imperceptible. 40 times imperceptible is still imperceptible. Your headphones will add way more distortion than these amps.
No problem here man, I asked that as a legitimate question. So here's another one for you, with the distortion measurements being irrelevant what values/measurements would you say are actually important? Noise floor maybe? How do the 788 compare to the Schiit?

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #88 of 841
Delayed again until 12/12. Damn it!

Carrot on the end of a string, I tell ya!

With a THX AAA amp, balanced DAC, full array of inputs/settings, and Dirac Sensaround processing (the biggest draw for me), this Monoprice unit promises a lot. It could turn out to be the best overall DAC/amp under $500 in the world... if it's ever released.

Oct 16, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #89 of 841
Carrot on the end of a string, I tell ya!

With a THX AAA amp, balanced DAC, full array of inputs/settings, and Dirac Sensaround processing (the biggest draw for me), this Monoprice unit promises a lot. It could turn out to be the best overall DAC/amp under $500 in the world... if it's ever released.

I think on that front the real competition is the Topping DX7S, but I'm hoping the Monoprice doesn't have an output impedance of 10 ohm. And you're right about the Dirac Sensaround. That has definitely piqued my curiosity. I'm hoping it's more advanced and convincing than simple crossfeed.

Oct 17, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #90 of 841
No problem here man, I asked that as a legitimate question. So here's another one for you, with the distortion measurements being irrelevant what values/measurements would you say are actually important? Noise floor maybe? How do the 788 compare to the Schiit?
I don’t think any measurement, with regards to an amp are useful. Possibly wattage if you have hard to drive headphones. Beyond features, which tend be a DAC function and not the amp, most amps will sound fine with most headphones. Sometimes pairing matters, so if you have god and or sensitive hearing, the only way to know if a certain combination of equipment will work for you is to listen to it. Most people here put way too much stock in amps and DACs. There are a few that claim to be able to very subtle differences between models, and for for them, it might matter between $4000 amp. For the vast majority of listeners, the headphones make the most difference to the sound, assuming a decent amp and DAC and good source material.

Obviously the draw for this amp is Dirac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back