Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Sep 26, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #721 of 841
I was going to. The other unit I had in mind Rme adi-2 dac. I was going to buy it until I found it uses the same chip with Monolith which is AKM 4493. I would love to get a D90 but it doesn't come with any of the EQ options. If Rme makes a dac with AKM 4499 chip with all the other functions intact, I would buy it in a heart beat.
I'm presuming your source isn't a laptop or a PC, then? If it is, you can easily EQ using many options, the most versatile being Equalizer APO.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #722 of 841
My unit seems to have an issue where the channel balance randomly swings left or right, and then recentres after a while. It's very evident on mono / centred content like YouTube videos. This happens on both XLR and USB inputs. I first thought it was from my Steinberg audio interface going into the XLR input, but it's definitely the Monolith because it happens on USB as well.

Oct 10, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #723 of 841
Hi guys! Planning to buy this. You think its worth buying, because I want MQA work on this, I'll have my Fiio M11 Pro connected through line out going to RCA. Will i get the full MQA output doing it this way? Or should i jjst look somewhere else.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #724 of 841
Hi guys! Planning to buy this. You think its worth buying, because I want MQA work on this, I'll have my Fiio M11 Pro connected through line out going to RCA. Will i get the full MQA output doing it this way? Or should i jjst look somewhere else.
Better get monoprice 887 or Topping A90. This Dac/Amp is best used with USB rather than RCA input.

Oct 28, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #728 of 841
Thank you. Some one said it will destroy the Equipment. That is why I was trying to make sure if it is fine.

Are you sure there will be no issue.
You could destroy equipment, if you use a 4-pin XLR adapter (the front XLR output) and short it to single ended like this. That, is always a very very (terribly!) bad idea.

Your use case is fine. no worries.

Nov 9, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #733 of 841
Can we choose the frequency as well as db and q value or is it predetermined ? 5 band is fine if we have full control. I can use eq apo for visual readout to determine values.
Yes, 5 bands and you can choose the frequency for each band. Good idea to use Equalizer APO to find your values and then set them on the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back