Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #736 of 841
If I want to use monolith as a dac alone, do I need to turn the volume all the day down when it's connected to another amplifier?

I think the general consensus is to set your DAC to as close as 0 dB as you can get, while using the amp itself for control. Not a good idea to do digital volume control on your DAC imo.

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #737 of 841
I have output coming out of both the XLR and the 1/4" SE at the same time. The manual states otherwise. Kind of like it tbh.

1600016463614.png

Mine does this too, and so does my Liquid Platinum haha! I have no idea why they tell you it'll mute, when both of my Monolith amps support dual output. I wonder if it's a bug?

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #738 of 841
I remember seeing someone mention a new version would be out in 2020, any links? Couldn't find any. :frowning2:

Also there doesn't seem to be a guide on modding the XLR in to XLR out. Google had no links, can anyone share? ty

Is there actually a way for the XLR inputs to be turned into balanced XLR outs? I'm currently using SE RCA out to my amp, and I'd really love to use it in balanced mode.

Nov 24, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #739 of 841
https://forum.headphones.com/t/mono...ifier-and-dac-with-thx-aaa-technology/2307/28

Andrew from THX instructions:

1. The unit has balanced inputs, and unbalanced inputs and outputs. You can use the balanced headphone output on the front as a balanced output.
Yup, set to 0dB gain. It is possible to rewire the rear XLR3 inputs as outputs if so inclined.

2. And with some warranty-voiding simple soldering, it should be pretty straightforward to modify the unit so the two XLR-3 "inputs" become balanced outputs wired internally to the XLR-4 headphone out and controlled by the volume dial. i.e. remove C67, C76, C79, C84 to disconnect XLR3's from the ADC. Then patch wire twisted pairs connecting the two XLR3's pins to XLR-4 pins as follows:

twisted pair 1
L+: XLR3 J2 pin 2 to XLR4 J10 pin 1
L-: XLR3 J2 pin 3 to XLR4 J10 pin 2

twisted pair 2
R+: XLR3 J4 pin 2 to XLR4 J10 pin 3
R-: XLR3 J4 pin 3 to XLR4 J10 pin 4

Each XLR-3 pin 1 is already tied to ground so you can leave that alone. This configuration is a bit better than using the XLR-4 balanced output since the cables will now have grounded shields, and the downstream device will now have shared ground with the 789 product.

/End.

Note: - find an electronics guy in your area to do this, it appears trivial.

1606268264721.png

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #740 of 841
Mine does this too, and so does my Liquid Platinum haha! I have no idea why they tell you it'll mute, when both of my Monolith amps support dual output. I wonder if it's a bug?
I've asked that question on the Monolith's website, hopefully they will answer soon.

Jan 31, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #744 of 841
Isn't this DAC/AMP combo pretty awesome deal given that it has dual DAC and AMP paths for fully balanced at a cost around $400? I understand 887 has more power but this is just an AMP and getting a balanced DAC would set cost at least that much and IIUC, 887 is not balanced internally. I don't understand how important for everything to be "balanced" but I assume it must be a good thing as they added extra DAC and AMP chips to make 788 balanced. This stuff is pretty confusing to me, I hope someone can clarify it to me.

Jan 31, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #745 of 841
Isn't this DAC/AMP combo pretty awesome deal given that it has dual DAC and AMP paths for fully balanced at a cost around $400? I understand 887 has more power but this is just an AMP and getting a balanced DAC would set cost at least that much and IIUC, 887 is not balanced internally. I don't understand how important for everything to be "balanced" but I assume it must be a good thing as they added extra DAC and AMP chips to make 788 balanced. This stuff is pretty confusing to me, I hope someone can clarify it to me.
It is indeed a pretty good deal and a very good combo unit. But, (there is a but), you should really use it over digital inputs. The analogue inputs go into an ADC>DAC conversion stage which certainly limits fidelity. This is to make the EQ/DSP effects work on analog inputs..

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #746 of 841
Decent watch.

It's not the top end solution of course, but I'm extremely happy with the Monoprice, most especially with my Beyerdynamics. It somehow gets a shedload of extra oomph from this amp. Sounds fantastic.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #747 of 841
It is indeed a pretty good deal and a very good combo unit. But, (there is a but), you should really use it over digital inputs. The analogue inputs go into an ADC>DAC conversion stage which certainly limits fidelity. This is to make the EQ/DSP effects work on analog inputs..

I only consume digital source so that A/D conversion does not matter to me. I can choose 887 and 788 for the same price. I already have an OK DAC though (nuforce 80) so I am inclined to 887 or buy both but later seems waste :) Though I heard that I can use 788 as balanced DAC/preAMP to 887 but latter is not fully balanced so there is no benefit of using balanced DAC. I also don't need bluetooth, hdmi input etc so.

Primarily, I am curious why this unit has dual DAC and AMP chips. AFAIS, this is not common.

I am not looking for top end solution, AFAIS there is no end to it and reviews, options and prices are mind boggling. Up until recentl, I was running my HD650 without amp. I just want to improve the sound where I can notice the difference easily. So I got a W80, major improvement, and just received 887, another major improvement but now I am curious if I should get 788 instead 887 since price on it pretty good and it has all these cool features..

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #748 of 841
I am not looking for top end solution, AFAIS there is no end to it and reviews, options and prices are mind boggling. Up until recentl, I was running my HD650 amp, I just want to improve the sound where I can notice the difference easily. So I got a W80, major improvement, and just received 887, another major improvement but now I am curious if I should get 788 instead 887 since price on it pretty good and it has all these cool features..
887 is arguably the better amp so I would just be happy :wink:

Feb 1, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #749 of 841
Yeah I decided to keep 887 for home to be used with Nuforce and ordered one of the open box 788 for work to be ready when I am back to work. It is easier choice to get both of them :) I think it is a small price as cost of these things are amazing and I don't have to haul the the system back and forth. I strongly considered Liquid Gold DAC/AMP but monoprice liquid gold costed roughly 60% more so went with cheaper option.

Feb 4, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #750 of 841
Question about using Monolith's DAC unbalanced RCA line out. Since the unbalanced line out only outputs 2w of power. If I connect the unit to a Topping A90, which has a 7.6w of power at 16 olm. Does that mean Topping A90's power is capped at 2w per channel as well even for the balanced output? Also why does Monoprice put 2 DAC and 2 Amps in this unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back