Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #751 of 841
I literally just got the M1060 30 minutes ago and I am thinking about pairing this with the 122459.

Has anyone paired this amp/dac with the M1060 that can chime in?

Maybe I'm a failure at the search function.... but I couldn't find any solid opinions on the two together.

Mar 29, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #754 of 841
I think it's a bit of a stretch calling the RME ADI-2 this amp's counterpart.
Agreed. I have owned and used both extensively. The amp section of the Monolith 124459 is a bit better and more powerful than the RME ADI-2 DAC, but everything else about the RME ADI-2 DAC is way better. Without even discussing the many, many, many things that the RME can do that the Monolith cannot. The EQ abilities on the RME are better than any device I have ever seen or heard at ANY price. The DAC capabilities in both are very comparable but the execution and implementation in the RME maximizes every single component. I have used it mostly as a DAC/preamp (for the Monolith 124459, THX 789 and ZMF Pendant). For anyone who loves EQ and versatility, the command and control the RME gives you are nearly limitless. The Monolith 124459 is an amazing value, a very solid performer and is unbeatable at its price point, but if you have the coin the RME is an even better value with unmatched versatility at any price.

Apr 2, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #756 of 841
I think it's a bit of a stretch calling the RME ADI-2 this amp's counterpart.

Well both Dac/Amp features EQ, PEG EQ, crossfeed, and AKM 4493 Chip. Rme Adi 2 probably has more functions for tweaking the sound but Monolith is also has a more powerful amp. Fundamentally these two units are very similar, Rme might have functions but not sure if its $700 better than Monolith dac/amp.

Jun 25, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #758 of 841
Anyone know if this will work in AU/NZ with a simple plug adapter?
Unfortunately, no. I'm in the UK, and we use 230/240v just like you. I got one of these transformers. Simple plug adapters wouldn't work alas.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #759 of 841
If I have now a set of SMSL SU-9 DAC + Monolith Monoprice THX AAA 887 AMP is it worth to try Monolith Monoprice 24459 ? I like my actual set but just wondering if there any profit of Monolith combo.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #761 of 841
If I have now a set of SMSL SU-9 DAC + Monolith Monoprice THX AAA 887 AMP is it worth to try Monolith Monoprice 24459 ? I like my actual set but just wondering if there any profit of Monolith combo.
The only reason you would try the 24459 over your current set up is if you needed the EQ features. The EQ features are good if you primarily use one main headphone that needs EQ. However if you have multiple headphones that need EQ, the RME ADI-2 is a far better solution.

Aug 14, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #762 of 841
The only reason you would try the 24459 over your current set up is if you needed the EQ features. The EQ features are good if you primarily use one main headphone that needs EQ. However if you have multiple headphones that need EQ, the RME ADI-2 is a far better solution.
Thanks for your comment. I don't use EQ so not a problem for me. Then I will stay with my set up without trying Monolith 24459.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #763 of 841
I'm new to the hobby. This unit looked like a good starting point. I have been using a unit for the past month or two. I was wondering what path would be suggested to upgrading. Should I upgrade to a different DAC and use the unit as an amp until my wallet recovers? Or vice versa?

Oct 15, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #764 of 841
I'm new to the hobby. This unit looked like a good starting point. I have been using a unit for the past month or two. I was wondering what path would be suggested to upgrading. Should I upgrade to a different DAC and use the unit as an amp until my wallet recovers? Or vice versa?
Do you want to keep the THX sound or do you want to listen to something completely different?

Oct 15, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #765 of 841
To answer that I would first say that an amplifier will always make a bigger difference in your chain. Do you need more power? Or you just got an upgrade itch? Do you use the EQ features? I feel you have to spend a pretty good chunk to get a noticeable improvement in the amp section, unless you just need more power. And after hearing DACs that cost anywhere from $100 to $5000+, they don't really get better sounding, they just sound different. (😯There is gonna be like 1000 Headfiers whom have spent thousands & thousands on 'different' sounding DACs coming after me with torches and pitchforks, I may not live to see the morning). One really cool thing that can be done with the 24459 (especially when using the EQ section) is to use it as a preamp for a tube amplifier, like a Bottlehead Crack or even better, a ZMF Pendant or another Ampsandsound model etc.

You are right, it is a great starting point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back