Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Sep 19, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #691 of 841
IMG_20200620_010631.jpg
Ladies, gents, and all yall nonbinaries. I present the volume knob mod.

A bit of sticky rubber stuff leftover from some 3m rubber feet. Cut up and used so you can control the volume infinitely with one finger.

The rubber feet came in a square piece of rubber with the round feet bits punched out. I just used a bit of the excess and viola!

Ive been using this since close to day 1 and just realised I should share. The rubber feet are about 1inch to give you a sense of scale.

One of those small tweaks that make for a massive quality of life differences. Adjusting volume and navigating the menu is nowhere near as much of a chore.

isn't that a bit redundant with the dB readout?

Sep 19, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #694 of 841
isn't that a bit redundant with the dB readout?
It's not an indicator, it's pretty much so you can hook your finger on the rubber and spin the dial more accurately. I run my finger around the outside so it's not much of an issue for me, plus you get accustomed to using the dial, but this is a good solution too

Sep 20, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #695 of 841
It's not an indicator, it's pretty much so you can hook your finger on the rubber and spin the dial more accurately. I run my finger around the outside so it's not much of an issue for me, plus you get accustomed to using the dial, but this is a good solution too

but you can do it with one finger pressed into the dial not just at the edges with the stock dial. seriously, I'm doing it right now.

Sep 20, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #696 of 841
but you can do it with one finger pressed into the dial not just at the edges with the stock dial. seriously, I'm doing it right now.
Of course, I was speaking for OP there but for me it's not much of an issue either. I've gotten so quick with the knob and buttons (haha) that I can quickly zip to whatever volume I need, or turn all 5 bands of eq on or off in a few seconds. This is of course when I want to say, leave the shelf eq on but turn off customized PEQ for another set. It's just muscle memory and how you adapt to controls i guess :wink:

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #697 of 841
Hey I have a question guys. I'm intending to use this unit as a pre amplifier/dac with USB input and Line Output to another headphone amplifier. Will the EQ or Dirac setting I have on this amplifier affect the sound that comes out the end amplifier to the headphone ?

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #698 of 841
Hey I have a question guys. I'm intending to use this unit as a pre amplifier/dac with USB input and Line Output to another headphone amplifier. Will the EQ or Dirac setting I have on this amplifier affect the sound that comes out the end amplifier to the headphone ?
Yep it will. I do this too and I like to be able to eq and Dirac through to the second amp.

As a side note, as it's merits have been hotly debated: I use Dirac more often than not actually as I don't like the weird/unnatural placement headphones typically give you. Guess I'm too much of a speaker guy. Works good for music for me. But it really shines for movies and games, much more accurate soundfield I find. I've compared to a couple other crossfeeds like Meier and I like Dirac much better. Plus it's hardware so not source dependant.

Anyway, hope that works out for you!

Sep 23, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #699 of 841
Thanks for your input. So if I connect Monolith to another amplifier, will Monolith work as DAC or preamp? I'm planning to connect Monolith to my pc via USB and then connect Monolith to another amplifer through line out. Is this the correct setup

Sep 23, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #700 of 841
Thanks for your input. So if I connect Monolith to another amplifier, will Monolith work as DAC or preamp? I'm planning to connect Monolith to my pc via USB and then connect Monolith to another amplifer through line out. Is this the correct setup
That's right, it's basically both then. Just change the output under settings to "line". Turn volume to 0db if possible to not lose any SNR.

Sep 23, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #702 of 841
Thanks again for your input. I just bought Topping A90 amp. Not sure how much the Monolith will affect its sound by turning on Dirac. They both suppose to have very clean sound.
Cool, no problem. At these specs you probably won't hear a difference between them but who knows... report back any findings!

Sep 23, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #703 of 841
I usually run mine standalone but once in a while I run the output to the schit vali2 and enjoy a little bit of tube sound. pairs very well.

Sep 23, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #704 of 841
I usually run mine standalone but once in a while I run the output to the schit vali2 and enjoy a little bit of tube sound. pairs very well.
Nice, I run mine to a Lyr for the same reason! Now I'm craving more tube sound, its a slippery slope 😄

Sep 23, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #705 of 841
The reason I'm using it as a preamp is because it alone is not poewrful enough to drive abyss 1266 TC. But I'm so used to the EQ and Dirac sound of Monolith. It feels strange to listen to a song without it. Hopefull Dirac's soundstage will be able to translate to Topping A90

Users who are viewing this thread

Back