Monoprice Hi-Fi DJ Style Headphone Review
Feb 17, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #184 of 273
if you insist on spending an extra ~10-20 dollars here you go. I just placed another monoprice order this morning. They are great. 

-edit - had the wrong HP linked 

I guess you can buy kickers from amazon

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #185 of 273
Between this monoprice and Creative Aurvana Live, which one would you guys think is more bang for the bucks?

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #186 of 273
no reason to fear monoprice, I have personally ordered form them plenty of times and know several others who have as well.

Feb 21, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #188 of 273
Well, not to post a scare or anything...but in the spirit of transparency, Monoprice did get hacked about two years ago and customer info was compromised. I personally was a victim of credit card fraud because of that. HOWEVER:
1) The credit card company took care of the charges and nothing bad happened to me.
2) Monoprice dealt with it very professionally with full disclosure, sent out letters to all customers, and upgraded their security systems. That's definitely commendable and much better handled than the Sony hacking fiasco.
3) I still make boatloads of purchases from Monoprice and just ordered a pair of these =)

Buying anywhere online, even through Amazon, always has its risks. But Monoprice is far from a shady company and gets MANY good reviews.
Quote:
I 2nd this. Monoprice is great.

Quote:
no reason to fear monoprice, I have personally ordered form them plenty of times and know several others who have as well.

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #189 of 273
so did the credit card firm that processed for DSW shoe stores.  Hacking does happen on occasion. As you said, the response of monoprice to assist refunds and bolster security after the fact was on par so I stand by my original statement of "nothing to fear from monoprice."

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #190 of 273
I've got to play with these now over the weekend, and I must say that I am impressed. Thanks RPGWizard for "sponsoring" me (he bought the cables, I kept the headphones. I'm using them with a Monoprice retractable 3.5mm cable). Overall impressions are that they are pretty clear sounding with good bass and a narrow soundstage. Compared to my D1100, which has a similar bassy sound signature, the D1100 have a much more spacious soundstage. This is probably the most notable difference, and can be heard on music of all different genres. However, I wouldn't say it's a huge negative. For a classical or folk listener, a large soundstage is definitely a plus, but for my electronic music and some rock music I actually preferred the more engaging and narrow Monoprice 8323.

The build quality is pretty good overall, and very good for $27 (after shipping). Comfort is decent - the pads do sit on and around your ears, so that can cause some discomfort after some time (> 1 hour of wear), but I haven't had a problem with sweat (granted, it is winter here in California, ~15 degrees Celsius). Isolation and noise-leakage is very good. Doesn't let a lot of noise in, and barely lets noise out.

I was looking through the mods and decided to play around with what I had lying around at home, which ended up being cotton balls. I pulled them apart for a bit more surface area, took apart the headphone, and just stuffed the chamber. I think the bass is better, but it's hard to A/B it without a second pair of un-modded headphones (I listened to them unmodded, then I took them apart, modded them, listened, then took them apart and unmodded them and listened). I ended up keeping the cotton balls inside the headphones. Thinking of getting another pair (or a few to give away) to have around since they are so cheap!

Thank you Monoprice! I love you guys!

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #191 of 273
Just got the MP 8323 yesterday in the mail and pretty impressed so far. Wasn't expecting TOO much but was interested in giving them a try after stumbling on the review at Cnet and had to grab some other stuff on monoprice. Overall I think for the 28 (including shipping) I paid i am more than happy with it good enough bass and clarity being good enough as well as. Would like to give a BIG thanks to zarg up there for welcoming to the boards by giving me some input on how to do my first mod in adding the cotton balls into the chambers. Overall I would say i think it does make a difference, tried one side with and one without then both with it and both without and decided to leave them in as well as i feel it was a little deeper. Looking forward to adding the putty as well as soon as i make my way to the store!

Edit: Was gonna PM you zarg and let you know but I reached that daily limit PM message so just wanna say thanks again sir! it was a breeze!

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #192 of 273
Glad to hear that you are enjoying them! Hopefully this begins a fun journey of head-fi for you =)

Quote:
Just got the MP 8323 yesterday in the mail and pretty impressed so far. Wasn't expecting TOO much but was interested in giving them a try after stumbling on the review at Cnet and had to grab some other stuff on monoprice. Overall I think for the 28 (including shipping) I paid i am more than happy with it good enough bass and clarity being good enough as well as. Would like to give a BIG thanks to zarg up there for welcoming to the boards by giving me some input on how to do my first mod in adding the cotton balls into the chambers. Overall I would say i think it does make a difference, tried one side with and one without then both with it and both without and decided to leave them in as well as i feel it was a little deeper. Looking forward to adding the putty as well as soon as i make my way to the store!

Edit: Was gonna PM you zarg and let you know but I reached that daily limit PM message so just wanna say thanks again sir! it was a breeze!

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #193 of 273

Quote:
Heya,

I think they make the $150 price tag of M50's seem silly.

Very best,

Err...I don't know if you were having a bad listening day or what, but there is no comparison between the M50s and the Monoprice headphones.   The difference is night and day.

The 8323s are good for the price...that's about it.

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #194 of 273
Nice to read about so many of you whome enjoy the headphone. At 20 + shipping you really have nohing to lose. Haha

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Satanic Unicorn magic.

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #195 of 273
is there a way to reshape the headband a little?  looks like it's got that awkweeerrd SRH-750DJ shape to them.

they're comfortable enough so far but would be better if they conformed more to my head, and also not look as ridiculous in public...

edit: also props to monoprice, these took like a day to get here w/ overnight (probs cause i live in cali)

very nice so far, surprised they're not nearly as bassy as i was expecting them to be (granted i've been listening a lot to the xb500 lately...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back