Monoprice Hi-Fi DJ Style Headphone Review
May 24, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #211 of 273
Quote:
I've never owned a pair of " over ear " headphones. always on ear but mostly In ear as of late. Going to be ordering some things from MonoPrice an a headphone purchase is presenting itself. So my question to all of you is, Will I majorly regret moving away from IEM 's to over ear? I am curious about Monoprice's 8321 " button " style iems's an the 8323 dj style ones. Most of my listening is done at home, sometimes while out grocery shopping or meandering.  Connected to my computer, or my Moto Photon phone. poweramp is such a great tool :)  As far as apples an oranges go, considering the budget angle here. How big of difference in presentation should I expect coming from iem to over ear?

It varies on your preferences.

For myself, choosing an over-ear headphone or an IEM for when I go out ends up depending on what I feel like listening to when I wake up in the morning before I head to work. It ends up mostly being the convenience/portability factor of carrying a pair of IEM's vs a pair of headphones especially if I'm going somewhere else after work.

May 24, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #212 of 273
My current iem's gave up the ghost so looking for a decent set for the time being. Not expecting miracles. But a flat response would be nice. I'm thinking id feel funny walking around with these things on my head. So monoprice iems, can anyone vouch for the button type ones, or the ones above them? Music choices run all over the place. Rock,alt, vocal trance, country.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

May 31, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #213 of 273
Quote:
This thread makes me sad.  I ordered a pair of the 8323 as I said a few post above and had issues with the left speaker.  Monoprice, quick to fix this problem sent me another pair right away.  The 2nd pair had the SAME exact issue.  It was like the left speaker had a "dead spot" some where in the frequency range.  Pushing it to be bassier and less clear.

I've also noticed some sort of slight channel imbalance with my pair that I just got. I've also noticed that even the slightest bit of air pressure or even movement of the headphone can cause the left driver to make a noise as if it is moving in and out of a position it shouldn't be in. Has anyone else experienced this? Unlike the HTF600 I had, it does not need to affect the sound quality (jeez, those were built so poorly). 

I should note that I have not tried the thicker cable. That might change things.

When you got your 2nd pair, did you have to mail yours back in or did they ship you a new pair free of charge? Just curious.

Anyway, small issues aside, I literally laughed out loud when I put these on. I can't believe these only cost $20! Can't wait to see what a bit of modding will do to them.

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #214 of 273
Did some pretty basic modding on these. Lined the interior of the cups with Dynamat, threw sound Acousta-Stuf in there, and place a thin donut of a specific type of felt I have behind the driver (the part that circles the magnet in the middle). 

These are a steal at $20. With some basic modding...I'm speechless. They don't just sound great for their price. They just sound great all around!

Jun 1, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #215 of 273
Quote:
Did some pretty basic modding on these. Lined the interior of the cups with Dynamat, threw sound Acousta-Stuf in there, and place a thin donut of a specific type of felt I have behind the driver (the part that circles the magnet in the middle). 

These are a steal at $20. With some basic modding...I'm speechless. They don't just sound great for their price. They just sound great all around!

What are a steal?  This thread is so active that if you don't reference or quote, there is no way to know which set you are referring to!

bob

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #216 of 273

Quote:
What are a steal?  This thread is so active that if you don't reference or quote, there is no way to know which set you are referring to!

bob

I'm referring to the same headphone everyone else in the thread is referring to...?

Jun 3, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #219 of 273
Ended up buying a set of pioneer se-m390 off ebay. Comfy, sounds decent. Happy camper. Still curious about the monoprice ones though.

Sent from my Motorola Photon via Tapatalk 2

Jun 4, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #221 of 273
Quote:
Heya,

Added reviews for the MHP-839 (the monoprice DJ) to the site. As well as the HP541 (Kicker). Both can be found by clicking their names in my sig.

Freebie: By the way, if anyone wants my MHP-839's, just send me some money for shipping and they're yours.

Very best,

Did you remove the MP review or am I blind?  :)

bob

Jun 7, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #222 of 273
So... I have had a pair of these 8223's for about 7 months or so and they were my first pair of OE headphones. My one and only complaint about the headphones was that I highly disliked the provided ear pads. Just took care of that problem by getting some of the Bey. 250 velour ear pads and I think that has made a pretty significant difference. Not only are they now more comfortable, but also (IMO) provide better isolation and just sound better. I found them for $18 with free shipping from sweetwater and they arrived within three days of ordering them. For only $40 for the cans and pads, I would recommend this set-up to anyone. I hooked it up to my JDS cMoy and these things really impressed me. Do yourself a favor and go out and get these headphones, because for this price, you can use them as a decent everyday headphone and not care what happens to them.

Jun 27, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #223 of 273
Do the Beyer earpads on the Amazon site include everything to properly fit the cups on? If not, where do I find the rest of the kit?

Jun 27, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #224 of 273
Quote:
Do the Beyer earpads on the Amazon site include everything to properly fit the cups on? If not, where do I find the rest of the kit?

Yup, those are the beyer pads.
Or you can get them here, but the stock gets depleted regularly:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DT250Earpad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back