Monoprice Hi-Fi DJ Style Headphone Review
Jan 22, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #151 of 273

Quote:
Thanks for the review ~ I have two questions however. 1. Where can I get a braided cable just as one pictured in the very first photo? 2. Is it possible to change stock pads to something that goes around the ear to improve comfort of these cans? I have no idea what to get and where. If you have links or tutorials for cord + pads (cheaper is better), feedback is very welcome. Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure that's the thin cable that came with the headphones and he sleeved it himself using braided sleeving such as from here: http://ftwpc.com/ and here's some tutorials on sleeving cables: http://www.overclock.net/t/1122053/lutro0-customs-sleeving-tool-tutorials

And there has been mention in this thread of different pads that work; I don't recall which pads off hand.

But I just got these in the mail last night; I have to say, even before burning them in I really like the sound on these. I can hear how some people say they're too heavy on bass, but overall I really like them. That being said I must also say that I've never really had any good headphones. I've had IEMs but not headphones; also the IEMs I've owned have maily been skullcandy. I've had Ink'd, Full Metal Jackets, and Titans; not from SC have been the Meelectronics M9p. I'm all about value, which is why I've never paid more than 30 bucks for IEMs and now headphones. I'm sure when I have disposable income in the future I'll end up spending a lot of headphones lol

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #152 of 273
Would these cushions \ pads be sufficient to cover an average sized ear? Does the cable seem alright? Does this seem like a reasonable purchase to beef up the monoprice cans? Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Z9JWZ8/ref=oh_o00_s01_i00_details

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031U1ATG/ref=oh_o01_s00_i01_details

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #153 of 273
My thanks for the help instructions.

One more question if I may? When you say "bottom" of the cans, do you mean the actual bottom that hangs below the ear or what I call the "back" the part of the cup that backs the speaker? (showing real noob ness here) :)

Thanks for the help and patience.

The back.

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #155 of 273
Would these cushions \ pads be sufficient to cover an average sized ear? Does the cable seem alright? Does this seem like a reasonable purchase to beef up the monoprice cans? Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Z9JWZ8/ref=oh_o00_s01_i00_details
ir

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031U1ATG/ref=oh_o01_s00_i01_details
ir

Yes, those pads are said to work fine and they have a larger opening for your ears, I wouldn't worry about the cable, though. The ones they ship with are great and the one you linked isn't any better. Honestly, these are good phones, but I don't think they're of high enough quality where a cabling upgrade is going to improve them.

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #156 of 273
So I messed around with these again and changed some things.

mep-839.jpg

I replaced the foam with a cotton pad, my wife uses them for facial cleansing, or whatever else chicks do with them. :) Anyway, I stretched it a little oblong and attached it to the inside with glue stick. The yellow is standard tack, just around the pad, and the same thing on the back of the driver, without covering the vent holes. Overall this sounds better, the bass is still very good but there's more of it now, over using the foam. So, still no boom, but more bass with punch. Cheers.

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #157 of 273
I already own a pair of MDR-V6's that I use at home and am seriously considering purchasing these for use at work. Looking at the price and depending on what I learn prior to purchase, I might even be convinced to purchase two sets - one for regular use and another for trying out the various mods here. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways, have read couple of reviews on Monoprice about people experiencing microphonics/cable sound and attributing it to the detachable cable included with these cans. How noticeable is it with these cans? My understanding/experience is that microphonics is more noticeable with IEMs not over the ear cans such as these (havent really noticed it on my V6's). Would using the premium 3.5mm audio cable sold separately at Monoprice help with this? Thoughts?

Thanks,
-Topper

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #158 of 273

Quote:
So I messed around with these again and changed some things.
mep-839.jpg

I replaced the foam with a cotton pad, my wife uses them for facial cleansing, or whatever else chicks do with them.
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyway, I stretched it a little oblong and attached it to the inside with glue stick. The yellow is standard tack, just around the pad, and the same thing on the back of the driver, without covering the vent holes. Overall this sounds better, the bass is still very good but there's more of it now, over using the foam. So, still no boom, but more bass with punch. Cheers.

Awesome. I might mod mine or buy another pair specifically for modding when i have some spare change. But wouldn't that much sticky tack add some noticeable weight to the cans? And what does adding the tack to the back of the driver do?

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #159 of 273
Well, part of it is the fact it adds weight, the tack counters the "plastiky", hollow sound which makes them boomy by adding a little mass. The tack and the pad get rid of the flat, hard surface inside countering sound refection, which also adds to making them sound tighter. I have Beyerdynamic DT 250 velour pads on order too, which I hope will make them more comfortable. This is what I want:

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #160 of 273

Quote:
Well, part of it is the fact it adds weight, the tack counters the "plastiky", hollow sound which makes them boomy by adding a little mass. The tack and the pad get rid of the flat, hard surface inside countering sound refection, which also adds to making them sound tighter. I have Beyerdynamic DT 250 velour pads on order too, which I hope will make them more comfortable. This is what I want:

Sweet let us know how those pads work out

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #161 of 273
Well, the pads worked out perfectly, fit like they were made for the phones. They're very comfy too, much better than the stock pleather, of course.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016MF7W2

Overall, I'm quite pleased. They're really darn good bass cans now, and have surprisingly decent mids and highs, all things considered. They don't have the detail of something like Denon D2000s, but they embarrass many $100-150 sets I've listened to. IMO, sound better than ATH-M50s, for only $40 w/ pads. Killer deal. :)

Jan 29, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #162 of 273

Quote:
Well, the pads worked out perfectly, fit like they were made for the phones. They're very comfy too, much better than the stock pleather, of course.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016MF7W2
Overall, I'm quite pleased. They're really darn good bass cans now, and have surprisingly decent mids and highs, all things considered. They don't have the detail of something like Denon D2000s, but they embarrass many $100-150 sets I've listened to. IMO, sound better than ATH-M50s, for only $40 w/ pads. Killer deal.
smily_headphones1.gif

You know that is what I have been telling guys ever since I joined headfi. Shows you just how much the M50s are overrated.

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #163 of 273
Got my co-worker to buy these.  I suggested these to him, because they fit the bill of what he wanted in his headphones.

1. Portability (folding)
2. Good sound with bass
3. Not too expensive.
4. Decent seal.

after burning them in.... HE LOVES THEM!

I compared these with my Brainwavz HM3 (Fischer FA-004)... and I feel they're very comparable in sound with slight bit more clarity in the mids and highs on the HM3.

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #164 of 273

Quote:

I compared these with my Brainwavz HM3 (Fischer FA-004)... and I feel they're very comparable in sound with slight bit more clarity in the mids and highs on the HM3.

So you would say Brainwavz HM3 (or the Fischer) is slightly better? What about soundstage between these, suppose it's not the best on either of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back