Monoprice Hi-Fi DJ Style Headphone Review
Jan 8, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #137 of 273

Quote:
Hmm.... Thanks

Some flat dampening on the back walls
Some foam, not felt, foam filler on the inside
Remove the tape on the outside
Cover the back button of the driver with dampening
and maybe scratch that paper around the vent whole of the driver in the rear.

That would solidity can clarify everything. Bass might be a little killed off, but detail would also shine.

EDIT:
You have a Cmoy amp, right? or Cmoy DIY copy

You tested them with and without the amp, correct?

I bought these to tinker with, what I found after a few days and almost wearing out the screws:

Dampening on back walls did very little, but did soften the tone a bit.
Small cell foam inside worked wonders, removed most of the boom and turned it into punch (by far the best mod)
Removing the white tape was really bad, totally wrecked all bass response
Covering the back of the driver pulled the highs forward, IMO it was too much but some may like it
I didn't scratch the paper around the vent hole. They sounded great by the time I got to this part so didn't feel it was worth it.

Overall, with foam in them and dampening on the back walls the 839s changed profoundly. Enough to make me actually like and want to keep them, I was going to just give them to a basshead friend for him to use as beaters. Now I'm going to order some SRH840 pads and call them done. Awesome cans for $37 ($21+16 in pads) if you put in a little work.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #140 of 273
I just got mine and like them a lot for the price.  I wish the ear cups were slightly larger for my ears and the headpiece was a little more comfy.  I paid $29 after tax and shipping.  The short cord is rather flimsy.  I wish they sold a better cord.  Their thick 3.5mm male to male cord is too thick to fit it.  I'll probably be buying a spare pair next time I place a Monoprice order.

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #141 of 273
I'm debating on buying these or the 6893 (the NC one with the mic) I asked about it in the Buying headphones seeking guidance thread; I figure some of you guys may be willing to help as well:

Sorry if this ends up as a double post; it didn't show up in the thread earlier when I tried to post it

Fairly noob to head-fi stuffs but have been reading up on some of the information threads. And finally decided to come to this thread to seek advice and recommendations.

This semester I've got a couple media oriented classes: studio video production, and audio production and announcing. For audio production and announcing the teacher requires we have full-sized headphones for editing and such (no surprise and totally understandable to me). 

So here's the requirements:

First off price: $25-40 (MAX $50 and it has to be a good bit better than cheaper alternatives) I know this is pretty low for a lot of you but I am a broke college student.

Sound: Pretty good, nothing amazing; I know I'm not going to get the best stuff in this price range but I know this range doesn't have to be junk. Good enough for general recording and editing for radio, interviews, announcing, and some music for video clips, etc. I also wouldn't mind it having good sound for gaming on my PC.

Build quality/ features: Closed ear, maybe semi-open. Solid and durable, yet possibly fold able for convenient carrying around every week to class. One feature I'd really like is a removable cable so if it ends up shorting out I can just buy a new cable. Another plus would be a detachable mic for gaming as well.

A set of headphones that seem to get some respect for their great value and meet most of those requirements are the Monoprice dj headphones that are sadly out of stock until the time I need them by: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082302&p_id=8323&seq=1&format=3#specification

Some alternatives I have looked at are:
Sennheiser HD 202: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-202-Dynamic-Headphones/dp/B000065BP9/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1326944419&sr=8-15
ATH M20: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-Stereo-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00012F7G4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326940558&sr=8-1
AKG K99: http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K99-Headphones/dp/B001GF7WRW/ref=sr_1_16?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1326951438&sr=1-16
Superlux HD 681: http://www.amazon.com/Superlux-681-Dynamic-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B002GHIPYI/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1326951756&sr=1-1

One set I'm really interested in since it seems to cover all of my needs but I've found almost nothing about it on here or anywhere else reputable as far as sound is the Monoprice NC headphones: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082302&p_id=6893&seq=1&format=3#specification
A couple issues I have with those are the fact the plastic looks a little cheap and too shiny and the fact that the detachable cable has a TRRS connector for the mic signal and I'm not sure where I could find a new one like that if need be.

Input and suggestions welcome! Thanks guys

Edit: looks like Monoprice actually has the hi-fi dj headphones in stock now... Think I should just grab them? I'm still interested in the other monoprice model I linked to as well. Thoughts?

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #145 of 273

Quote:

I bought these to tinker with, what I found after a few days and almost wearing out the screws:

Dampening on back walls did very little, but did soften the tone a bit.
Small cell foam inside worked wonders, removed most of the boom and turned it into punch (by far the best mod)
Removing the white tape was really bad, totally wrecked all bass response
Covering the back of the driver pulled the highs forward, IMO it was too much but some may like it
I didn't scratch the paper around the vent hole. They sounded great by the time I got to this part so didn't feel it was worth it.

Overall, with foam in them and dampening on the back walls the 839s changed profoundly. Enough to make me actually like and want to keep them, I was going to just give them to a basshead friend for him to use as beaters. Now I'm going to order some SRH840 pads and call them done. Awesome cans for $37 ($21+16 in pads) if you put in a little work.

Being a headphone novice could I ask how or what is the best way to install the small cell foam in the "cans"?   I have never done an mods to headphones but would like to try this one. I purchased these phones because they were cheap and had several good reviews.

Thanks!

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #146 of 273
I may not be the most experienced reviewer, but stay away from the noise cancelling version.  It looks and feels cheap and clamped with way too much force.  The sound was pretty poor overall with NC off, turning on the NC seemed to boost the volume, especially the bass.  I packed them back up 5 minutes later.

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #148 of 273
Being a headphone novice could I ask how or what is the best way to install the small cell foam in the "cans"?   I have never done an mods to headphones but would like to try this one. I purchased these phones because they were cheap and had several good reviews.

Thanks!

I cut out thin strips, ~1/2 cm thick, enough to line the bottom of the cup, and attached them inside with a little blue tack. You could also use a little hot glue, which will peel off if you want to undo this, but I had the tack on hand.

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #149 of 273
Thanks for the review ~ I have two questions however. 1. Where can I get a braided cable just as one pictured in the very first photo? 2. Is it possible to change stock pads to something that goes around the ear to improve comfort of these cans? I have no idea what to get and where. If you have links or tutorials for cord + pads (cheaper is better), feedback is very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #150 of 273
My thanks for the help instructions.

One more question if I may? When you say "bottom" of the cans, do you mean the actual bottom that hangs below the ear or what I call the "back" the part of the cup that backs the speaker? (showing real noob ness here) :)

Thanks for the help and patience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back