Monoprice Hi-Fi DJ Style Headphone Review
Sep 11, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #106 of 273

Quote:
Having used these several times this week I can't say I'm a huge fan of them either. They're fine headphones I suppose but to be honest I think I'd rather listen to my SkullCandy Hesh cans. They're bassy, and more comfortable. I really don't like how small the cans on these are, but the pad on the headband is really comfy. If this is actually what M50s sound like, I am so glad I ended up with HFi-580s.

M50 don't sound anything like the Kicker/Monoprice. Saying they're an M50 killer or whatever it just nonsense. It's ok if people prefer them over the M50 due to have a better signature for them.
First the ZX700 was the M50 killer, then the HP541..what next?
normal_smile%20.gif

The Kicker HP541 didn't do anything better than the M50. Just had a ton more bass.Sure..it had forward mids until you heard any kind of bass to go and ruin it..

IMO the M50 is an ALMOST bass heavy studio monitor..the Monoprice headphone makes them look almost very well balanced in comparison..and they almost are...

Now, I'm no hater. I can understand people loving this. I'm sure lots of people dislike my favorites too. I did get the HP541 to sound decent with some mods and new pads. Even an EQ didn't seem to solve my issues with them. I just don't like it's signature, that's all.

Sep 11, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #107 of 273
Well, at last I could test mine and I'm actually a bit surprised by the sound they produce (for the price).
It actually kind of resembles my 440s but a lot warmer/bassier and a bit recessed mids.
Don't like the cans per se though. They feel uncomfortable (by a bit) on my ears.
But the headband is Ok and the fit above the head is tight.

I'll keep these on my workstation so that I don't have to keep on disconnecting my main headphones from
my MP3 player to the work laptop everytime I want to listen to a video or something someone sends me! :p

Sep 11, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #108 of 273
Wow you really think they resemble the 440s? I didn't get the clarity on the highs or mids on mine (thoroughly burned in) that I do out of my 440s. That's the weird thing about sound, it's so preferential. Anyone who is enjoying them more power to you, but they certainly won't be my new primary set.

Quote:
Well, at last I could test mine and I'm actually a bit surprised by the sound they produce (for the price).
It actually kind of resembles my 440s but a lot warmer/bassier and a bit recessed mids.
Don't like the cans per se though. They feel uncomfortable (by a bit) on my ears.
But the headband is Ok and the fit above the head is tight.

I'll keep these on my workstation so that I don't have to keep on disconnecting my main headphones from
my MP3 player to the work laptop everytime I want to listen to a video or something someone sends me! :p

Sep 11, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #109 of 273

Have you tried to EQ them? The sound really clears up somewhat when you EQ down the bass a ton. I did this to my XB500 and it's amazing how much better those are than without an EQ. An EQ seemed to do less for the Monoprice than for the XB500 though.

I think the muffled sound (loss of clarity) is only caused by the excessive mid-bass. They CAN sound quite clear with mods and lots of EQing. In the end it still wasn't good enough. I probably spent like 8 hours playing with them.

Burn-in also didn't do a thing for my pair.

Second biggest effect on the sound clarity for me was replacing the pads. It clears up a bit with better pads that have more room inside them.
Quote:
Wow you really think they resemble the 440s? I didn't get the clarity on the highs or mids on mine (thoroughly burned in) that I do out of my 440s. That's the weird thing about sound, it's so preferential. Anyone who is enjoying them more power to you, but they certainly won't be my new primary set.

Sep 11, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #110 of 273

Quote:

Yep, you don't get similar clarity due to the lower-end being more prominent than on the Shure's.
But I kind of enjoy them.
Of course, between the two of them I would still pick my 440s, but for $20-odd bucks I can leave this
in the office lying around without worries.!

Sep 12, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #112 of 273
I actually have them hooked now to my JDSLabs Cmoy and noticed a bit of extension on the highs and vocals stand out even
a little bit more. I don't like messing with EQ much on my MP3 players but I don't think it's bad that it's a necessity! :wink:

So far so good.
Setup now at work is:

Shure 940s --> JDSLabs Cmoy --> Archos 7
Monoprice cans --> Direct headphone out from laptop

No more changing connections. lol :p

Sep 13, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #113 of 273
I plan to order these for my 2 year old son, we will be going on a long plane ride in the near future. Currently own HA-RX 700 and ATH-M50. Will be interesting to see how it compares.

Daniel

Sep 13, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #120 of 273
Mine arrived yesterday. I let them burn in for about 15 hours. I started listening to some of my 320kpbs and enjoyed them, I did a little ABX'ing and was doing well. I took them to class and my friend wanted to listen. He payed my $35 on the spot. Now I'm going to buy another pair later on tonight. I think these are great, ESPECIALLY for their price. I can't wait to have $300+ to spend on some REAL cans.

Thank you, Head-Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back