Monoprice 8323 vs HTF600 vs Contenders
Apr 23, 2012 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Lompang

New Head-Fier
Been lurking for awhile and I've been wondering which would be a better contender for FPS games that require excellent sound positioning to easily locate positions. My main budget is 50 dollars and under I've heard these headphones are real nice for the price, but are there any others that would fit my preference for FPS games?

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 10
I bought the monoprice headphone last week (along with Beyer DT990) and even though I really like the monoprice headphone, I would caution you about buying them, unless your play sessions are very short. I play BF3 with my friends and our sessions usually last any where from couple of hours to all night on weekend and for that Monoprice headphone are a no go due to being uncomfortable.

With that said, they are fun cans to use for FPS due to pronounce bass that really makes you feel every gun fire and the rolling of tank when it passes you by but the downside of it is that subtle noises get drowned in bass and it is very difficult to distinguish footsteps when someone comes behind you (unless you are really hearing for it).

Conclusion: They are awesome cans for the price and dare I say it, there is nothing that can match the price/quality ratio in that price range or even double the price but if you plan on doing extended gaming with these, switch out the pads to something more comfortable (see the official thread for suggestions)

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
You would want an open pair of headphones for FPS gaming online. At $50 I'm not sure what you can get but maybe a used pair of HD 555 or AD 700?

Where have you been mate? 
tongue.gif

Superlux and Samson offer pretty good product for people who are on budget. 

A semi-open like the HD 681 is a good option for gamers. 

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 10
There is no issues with either headphone. I personally don't like the HTF but I bought the  DT990pros and HD598 at the same time so the HTF sounded muffled and lacked the clarity of my other two headphones. But that is an unfair comparison because the other two are 10 times the price.

The monoprice would be useless for FPS because they lack any sense of soundstage.(very closed headphone) For the price/performance for music they are a wonderful cheap headphone. You would have to read the HTF thread on whether the HTF600 are ok for FPS never got that far with them.

For your price I would also look at the Samson SR850 or Superlux 668B. I have the Superlux 668B and I adore them still. I still plug them in every other day when I need that Beyerdynamic DT990 sound and my HD598's don't provide the bass umph I want. Both headphones are uncomfortable at first but you grow used it them. You can also buy velor replacements down the road. Also the Koss KCS75 if you just need some cheapies for the time being are stellar for FPS. Clear highs, good mid-bass and crazy soundstage for such a tiny headphone.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-4-12-2012-akg-q701-added/5250#post_8326146

check out this thread for more help.

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 10
I don't buy headphones below $100...........................just kidding :p

Definitely get those then, I hear great things and they're cheap!
Quote:

Where have you been mate? 
tongue.gif

Superlux and Samson offer pretty good product for people who are on budget. 

A semi-open like the HD 681 is a good option for gamers. 

Apr 24, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for the indepth analysis guys. It seems to be between the Superlux HD 668B/Harx 700/Samson SR850. I would like to know in your opinion which has the biggest soundstage and sound accuracy that would work well with my needs.

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #8 of 10
The JVC HA-RX700 wouldn't make great gaming phones (again soundstage is an issue with most closed or semi/ported phones).  The HARX700s are ported (or semi-open, mostly closed) phones and I find them to be great for jazz and vocal pieces.  Can't speak for the Superlux or Samson as I don't own either and have not tried either.

Jul 30, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #10 of 10
Here's a review on the monoprices. I'm gonna have a agree with you all on the comfort not being overly great; however the sound (for $30 headphones) imo is really unmatched. I'll be honest i haven't tried some of the other budget kings yet. But i have been through several pairs of sub $50 headphones and these are really at the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back