Monolith M300 In Ear Planar Earphones
Feb 11, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #436 of 659
What headphone amp does everyone like? I have tried straight out of my Korg DSDAc 100m, Cyberdrive Feather, CMOY tin amp and my heavily power supply upgraded Creek OBH-11. They sound full and very impactful with the Creek. So what amp do you like? Also straight out of my Xduoo X10 and Fiio X3 II, good just not impactful.

Feb 11, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #437 of 659
Hello fellow head-fi'ers. This is my first post so I hope I can be of some kind of usefulness to you all. I'm new to the game but I'm jumping all in.

I almost sent my m300's back to Monoprice. I actually picked them up because my initial problems with these (comfort) was what I was worried about with the iSines. They sounded great but what use is that if you can only wear them for an hour or two? My black clips broke, the included cable was heavy and the eartips felt unwieldy. At first I attempted to switch to Comply tips... no luck. I thought they still felt fatiguing so I addressed the next issue, weight. I bought a new mmcx cable through amazon and I finally felt like I was making some progress. At this point I was at about 3-4 hours of listening before needing to remove them. Mind you that they were getting to unbearable around that time. Lurking through these threads I found the memory wire solution. "Problem solved!" I thought. Well, not so much. It helped but I just never looked forward to putting them on my ears compared to some of my over ear cans. I ALMOST tossed in the towel at this point.

Enter Amazon. Searching through earhooks I came across these babies https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075K59NDV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. They sent me the smallest size connectors (not what I ordered but I think the largest size may also be too small) and I sat down for a little doctoring. I simply cut the original earhooks just above the semi-circular area, pulled the corresponding parts out of the new silicone ones and swapped them out. They do sit a bit higher than the Monoprice hooks so you may need an exacto knife and some extra time if your ears are a little smaller but these things are incredible. I paired this with the new lightweight cable and Spinfit CP155's and I can't be any happier. In fact I'm looking into some Unique Melody ME1's and hopefully I can splurge on some lcd i4's by the time my birthday comes around. I'm seriously loving this in-ear, open back planar thing. It suits my lifestyle incredibly well and my over ears may take a backseat for 2018. If I can't birthday surpise myself with the i4s I'm going with some Auteurs though. I hope this helps someone out. It's an incredibly quick fix, very easy and supremely comfortable.

Cheers!!!

bWVkaWFJZDoxNTUxODIxMzM=

cGF0aDovMjAxODAxMjdfMTIyNzE0X3pwc295OXNhZ2tkLmpwZw==

bWVkaWFJZDoxNTUxODIxMzQ=

So I actually checked out these clips (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075K5DRZ9?tag=5336119060-20&th=1) that are mentioned in this comment. If you don't want to mod anything, you can actually buy the .28inch clips and put it on the nozzle that leads to the ear tips (I don't know what you'd call it). It fit well for me and they are much more flexible/durable than the clips provided by Monoprice.

Feb 11, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #439 of 659
Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #440 of 659
I would think 12mm would be closer to the diameter of the snap on part of the Monoprice hooks. I ordered the ear lock ones you mentioned before, they are yet to arrive. Let us know how these work.
The ear locks are fine, but when laying on my back, the support for the pods is minimal. The above hooks won't be shipped before end February however.

Feb 12, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #441 of 659
What headphone amp does everyone like? I have tried straight out of my Korg DSDAc 100m, Cyberdrive Feather, CMOY tin amp and my heavily power supply upgraded Creek OBH-11. They sound full and very impactful with the Creek. So what amp do you like? Also straight out of my Xduoo X10 and Fiio X3 II, good just not impactful.
My go to DAC is my Dragonfly Red. Love the detail, but a bit too clinical and narrow to be used by itself IMO. When seated at a desk, etc., I pair the DFR to a Cayin C5. Warm, expansive, sounds great with the m300. When on the move, DFR paired with a JDS Labs C5. A little less warm the the Cayin, but a little more detailed with forward mids. I love both. I'm definitely a warm, wide, laid back presentation person.

Feb 17, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #442 of 659

I am driving these with a fiio e12 diy with the lme 49860 op amp. The m300 comes alive with decent power.

Feb 25, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #443 of 659
I am driving these with a fiio e12 diy with the lme 49860 op amp. The m300 comes alive with decent power.
I've recently switched from the dragonfly red to the SMSL idea. The 9018q2c beats the 9016k2m hands down! Eats up a whole lot more battery, but the phone is connected to is solely used as a bit perfect DAP, so 7-8 hrs on a charge is fine with me. Especially when it has a magnetic charging port that can be used while the microusbport is occupied.

Mar 4, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #445 of 659
Mar 6, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #448 of 659
Just got them, they are too small, the horse shoe fit (12.3mm) that is. It just flips off the pods right away, so don't buy these.
Ya, after I measured the diameter of the horse shoe I figured they would be to small. I measure the internal diameter of the ring as being 17-18 mm.

Mar 19, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #450 of 659
Any one having any luck finding replacement ear hooks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back