Monolith M300 In Ear Planar Earphones
post-15683996
Post #646 of 652

CopperFox

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Received my M350 last week and have been playing around with them for about a couple of days worth. ( @Sunstealer )

Some first impressions:

I had zero fit or seal issues with these. The earhooks feel slightly flimsy though.

Without EQ the sound is slightly bizarre. I'd say it's good if snare drums is the thing you're most interested in as they are the most forward thing in the mix by far. However, bass quality/quantity is surprisingly good even without EQ.

With EQ the sound can get really good. Didn't have time yet to adjust it very far, but you can EQ a good amount of bass, upper mids and low-mid treble in. High treble is surprisingly good and airy.

One thing that was conspicuous with these is that they react strongly to amping/sources, even more so than my Tri i3. Of the sources I tried so far the DX220 with the AMP9 tube amp module sounded easily the best, giving a vibe very close to a bassy full-size planar (with EQ of course). Well, I'm currently interested in portable tube hybrids anyway and have ordered some more of those. Didn't yet have time to try my desktop dacs/amps.

And then after about two days the right side mmcx connector started cutting off and then stopped working. Looks like I'll need to return these and get a replacement. Could post some further impressions after that.

post-15684419
Post #647 of 652

Sunstealer

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Thanks for the impressions. I'm not a big fan of heavy EQ do maybe give these a miss. Hopefully TRI will improve on the I3 instead....

post-15866809
Post #648 of 652

deadbeatguy

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
ve a pair of Monolith 300. Love it, except the problem with getting the comfortable fit. I brought another m300 on eBay knowing that 1 unit has no sound. But I wanted the earpieces and clips.
Any way, the former owner had attempted to pry open the non-working unit. I have never seem the inside of the M300, but I cracked the shell with a credit card. Good start. Then I pressed the mmcx connector down and managed to get sound, as long as I continued pressing down. Great start. Then I used an multimeter to check the continuity and determined the loose connection was on the back side. But the "speaker" unit (with the round magnetic unit) is glued to the ear side of the shell. So I carefully separate the unit from the shell to take a look. As you can see on the picture, I ripped the very fragile aluminum coil/film. In fact, there was very high chance I would have ripped the coil film even I knew what it looked like in advance. Oh well.

I posted these pic for other brave souls come after me.
Just gonna share what buzzbuzz did to fix the loose connection on the M300 he bought.

"I first "fixed" the loose connection by putting a 1/8" long toothpick bit on top of the connection and closed the earphone case tight. It worked. But I did not leave well enough alone. I tried to l lift up the diaphragm from the case and see if there was a better fix. Big mistake. The diaphragm was permanently glued to the case. I destroyed it. So don't follow my mistake. Instead try to squeeze the connection (on different spots) until you hear the sound re-appear, then, may be, do the toothpick fix.
BTW, this was a common manufacturing problem with one side of the M300. I forget which side."

Thanks for replying my pm! Worth a shot if anyone's unit is out of warranty. Just use something to apply pressure to the connector see if it reconnects and close the case, otherwise it'll be a delicate procedure to remove the glued on drivers.

Edit: He also mentioned to snap back the case.
"Snap back. But it case cover has to squeeze and hold tight to the toothpick. Trial and error."

Just picked these up used for 60$, hope I won't have to do this. Good luck y'all.

Last edited:
post-15892570
Post #649 of 652

silverre

Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hi all

If anyone here managed to 3d print the ear hooks/clip thingy can you please help to pm me the .stl file?

The audeze groovy kit costs as much as the m300 itself plus shipping lol.

Thanks in advance.

post-15901429
Post #650 of 652

Fra D

Head-Fier
Reaction score
Reactions: Toastybob
post-15901717
Post #651 of 652

Allanmarcus

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
oops, wrong thread :)

post-15931563
Post #652 of 652

qingcai

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I got the fitting problem for weeks, then I use the heat gun to soft the ear hook, then pull the earhook far from the tip. then the tip are perfect aligned to the ear canel .

Received my M350 last week and have been playing around with them for about a couple of days worth. ( @Sunstealer )

Some first impressions:

I had zero fit or seal issues with these. The earhooks feel slightly flimsy though.

Without EQ the sound is slightly bizarre. I'd say it's good if snare drums is the thing you're most interested in as they are the most forward thing in the mix by far. However, bass quality/quantity is surprisingly good even without EQ.

With EQ the sound can get really good. Didn't have time yet to adjust it very far, but you can EQ a good amount of bass, upper mids and low-mid treble in. High treble is surprisingly good and airy.

One thing that was conspicuous with these is that they react strongly to amping/sources, even more so than my Tri i3. Of the sources I tried so far the DX220 with the AMP9 tube amp module sounded easily the best, giving a vibe very close to a bassy full-size planar (with EQ of course). Well, I'm currently interested in portable tube hybrids anyway and have ordered some more of those. Didn't yet have time to try my desktop dacs/amps.

And then after about two days the right side mmcx connector started cutting off and then stopped working. Looks like I'll need to return these and get a replacement. Could post some further impressions after that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)