Monolith M300 In Ear Planar Earphones
Oct 11, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #286 of 659
There are several inexpensive mmcx cables on Amazon, but I wanted to ask around first
i meant QUALITY mmcx cables.
Those inexpensive ones generally are quite inconsistent or are not very durable

Oct 11, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #287 of 659
i meant QUALITY mmcx cables.
Those inexpensive ones generally are quite inconsistent or are not very durable
Can you tell me from experience what, if any, difference you notice between the original cable other than possibly less microphonic and weight?
Edit: I'm. Not too keen on spending 2/3rds the headphones price on a cable, especially when I won't be using often

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #288 of 659
Can you tell me from experience what, if any, difference you notice between the original cable other than possibly less microphonic and weight?
Edit: I'm. Not too keen on spending 2/3rds the headphones price on a cable, especially when I won't be using often
My only comments on the standard cable are about the weight and stiffness, too much for the in-ears. I bought this one for $25, now $36 it seems, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/***...32818799415.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.wrWcCd
Balanced, 2.5mm to mmcx, thin and light but not very flex as my $49 braided one from Penon that I got for my Oppo pm-3. It has an angled 2.5mm 4-pin, so it depends on your needs and budget.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #289 of 659
My only comments on the standard cable are about the weight and stiffness, too much for the in-ears. I bought this one for $25, now $36 it seems, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/***...32818799415.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.wrWcCd
Balanced, 2.5mm to mmcx, thin and light but not very flex as my $49 braided one from Penon that I got for my Oppo pm-3. It has an angled 2.5mm 4-pin, so it depends on your needs and budget.
Thank you. $25 to $40 isn't horrible, but someone suggested earlier a cable that was $100. Maybe I'd think about a $100 cable for $600 headphones....MAYBE. And it wasn't a balanced cable, we were simply discussing a typical trrs cable

Oct 12, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #290 of 659
Durability, looks, and sound(if you believe)
I personally have bad experiences with such cables as they have crappy shipping times or just have very poor build quality and very poor strain relief

Oct 12, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #291 of 659
If you dont mind, the one i am reccomending is 45 usd and is of better build quality

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #293 of 659
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MMCX-Silver...Cable-3-5mm-Audio-2-5mm-Balanced/262966678773

I bought one of these just to see if it even worked and it works well, is very light, no heavy microphonics. I can't speak to durability but it's only $15, so buy 2 or even 3.

If it seems like I'm cheap regarding cables, I am. It's on purpose because I can't tell any audible difference in them at all, provided they meet the electrical spec (nearly all do).

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #294 of 659
Not at all. Do you have a link to that one? Have you owned any of the cheaper Ali balanced cables?

The Ali one is on promotion at $25 at the moment btw.
I am speaking out of experience with th 3.5mm version
i also do not believe i have abused the cables in any way.
https://sgaudiohive.com/

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #295 of 659
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MMCX-Silver...Cable-3-5mm-Audio-2-5mm-Balanced/262966678773

I bought one of these just to see if it even worked and it works well, is very light, no heavy microphonics. I can't speak to durability but it's only $15, so buy 2 or even 3.

If it seems like I'm cheap regarding cables, I am. It's on purpose because I can't tell any audible difference in them at all, provided they meet the electrical spec (nearly all do).
the durability of those arent very good plus they oxidise quickly

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #296 of 659
Oct 12, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #297 of 659

Ordered one right away! It looks like the one I bought from their Hongkong shop for my Oppo, except that was a straight 2.5 to 3.5mm one.

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #298 of 659
Comfort?. I have struggled with these for a few days, but I now feel comfortable with them. For me, the one major flaw, is the angle of the tube, meaning, for me, it is difficult to get the fit I need. I have quite a few Chinese cheap earphones, remove from packet, put in ears, fine, excellent fit. I appreciate that there is a huge gulf between these and my iSINE 20 and Monoprice m600, size/weight etc., but with a bit more thought, the M300 could be a lot better, cable included!. I now have a cheap mmcx cable, and I can't distinguish any difference between them, but then my old ears wouldn't hear a train coming, so what do I know!.

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #299 of 659
Comfort?. I have struggled with these for a few days, but I now feel comfortable with them. For me, the one major flaw, is the angle of the tube, meaning, for me, it is difficult to get the fit I need. I have quite a few Chinese cheap earphones, remove from packet, put in ears, fine, excellent fit. I appreciate that there is a huge gulf between these and my iSINE 20 and Monoprice m600, size/weight etc., but with a bit more thought, the M300 could be a lot better, cable included!. I now have a cheap mmcx cable, and I can't distinguish any difference between them, but then my old ears wouldn't hear a train coming, so what do I know!.
Don't you think the larger earhooks from the audeze groovy tips pack would benefit you? Comparing pictures and seeing the difference, I'm thinking of ordering the pack, just for the hooks.

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #300 of 659
Don't you think the larger earhooks from the audeze groovy tips pack would benefit you? Comparing pictures and seeing the difference, I'm thinking of ordering the pack, just for the hooks.
As I have the iSINE 20, I have tried changing hooks. the M300 ones, seem to have a bit more give. I am also in the process, of making them with an overhead band. Many failures in design, but what the hell. Postage to the uk, of the Audeze hooks, from US, is plus 70 dollars!. I am speaking to a guy in China, with a view to making an over ear hook, with a stronger design, as they fit the iSINE 10/20/m300. Nothin might come of it, but we shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back