Monolith M300 In Ear Planar Earphones
Oct 17, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #316 of 659
Well, I've come to the decision that with the comfort issues being as bad as they are for me, I think returning the M300 is the best option. Shame as I really wanted this to work out, but I have better quality IEMs, so it's no huge loss, and I think I'd rather have the money back for now. I may reconsider in the future if they release a different version with reportedly better comfort. I just hope the return process isn't difficult.

Oct 17, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #317 of 659
Send them a message. They say to send them a message if you don't get an RMA reply in 3 business days. They didn't respond to my RMA request so I emailed them. Once I did, they took care of everything right away.
Thanks, just messaged, we'll see. hope they have better hooks by now.
Did you break both the black and the clear? My black broke,. Ut the clear seem far more durable. I ordered the Audeze Groove kit but the hangers are too tall, and though the tips fit well, the grooves actually irritate my ears. Went back to the stock tips, and the medium size, and can now wear for long periods of time. No issue with lows or mids. I'm treble sensitive, and prefwr a quieter treble, but man, if these don't sound excellent. My absolute go-to portable, which makes me kind of sad seeing as I paid for my V-Moda CF2W, which I like a lot, but am loving the m300 and I'm a Can user.
Both black ones, the transparent ones are better but a tad too small. I ordered the Audeze kit but I'm afraid the hooks are too big, seem I can cancel those anyway as for unavailability locally, and no way I'm paying $50 extra shipping for the USA ones, I would sooner buy a 3d printer to make some that would fit. Bummer, because they are really annoying after half an hour or so, and I love the sound (by now) very much too.

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #318 of 659
Well, I've come to the decision that with the comfort issues being as bad as they are for me, I think returning the M300 is the best option. Shame as I really wanted this to work out, but I have better quality IEMs, so it's no huge loss, and I think I'd rather have the money back for now. I may reconsider in the future if they release a different version with reportedly better comfort. I just hope the return process isn't difficult.
what are your better iem pls?

Oct 17, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #319 of 659
I may have missed it, so forgive me if this is a repeat, but what exactly are your comfort issues with the m300?

Oct 18, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #320 of 659
Unfortunately, the black clips simply break. However, the clear ones seem to be of a much higher quality. As far as tips, they don't need to be shoved in your ears. They don't require a seal as we are used to with I'm. They simply need to sit on the edge of the canal, and lightly block flow to in canal. As far as comfort of the clips, I visited Home Depot today, spending $6 to purchase 2 sizes of Black heat shrink. 1/4 to 1/32, and the slightly larger one where the smaller size is 1/4. Two layers added to the surface area and the material is gentle resting against the back/side of my ears. Also, generally the front of the hooks don't need to rest flush against the front of your ear. Leaving a little room is ok, and it's less pressure on the ears. These headphones are phenomenal.

Oct 18, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #321 of 659
It has already been suggested, to break the ear clip, at its junction.then using neoprene/plastic/heat shrink, place memory wire,( Available eBay etc.) inside tubing, heat shrink tubing to remain part of ear clip. I will be trying this later.
It has already been suggested, to break the ear clip, at its junction.then using neoprene/plastic/heat shrink, place memory wire,( Available eBay etc.) inside tubing, heat shrink tubing to remain part of ear clip. I will be trying this later.
This solved the fit/comfort problem for me, but I will sell/swap the M300, as I am keeping/modding the iSINE 20.
IMG_1596.JPG

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #322 of 659
I may have missed it, so forgive me if this is a repeat, but what exactly are your comfort issues with the m300?

For me, it's a combination of the nozzle size as well as the earhook comfort.

what are your better iem pls?

Sennheiser IE800 & Rose Tech Pudding.

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #323 of 659
I just found out about these. Browsed the pages, and see comfort/fit is an issue ? Why not use the same $8 headband from parts express that people use for the KSC75. Just cut off the tab sticking out and it should lay flat against the m300 housing. Add some foam couple inches up on the metal band to keep it square on your head like the portapro headband. Maybe trim the plastic so it doesn't cover the holes.

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #324 of 659
I just found out about these. Browsed the pages, and see comfort/fit is an issue ? Why not use the same $8 headband from parts express that people use for the KSC75. Just cut off the tab sticking out and it should lay flat against the m300 housing. Add some foam couple inches up on the metal band to keep it square on your head like the portapro headband. Maybe trim the plastic so it doesn't cover the holes.
This mod is aHuge help in addressing the comfort of the earhooks. (1/4 to 1/32 heat shrink, and 1/2 to 1/4 heat shrink over the smaller. Had them on for 7 hours straight, with little to no discomfort. Again, these don't need a deep insertion, for most. A larger tip to simply create a seal with shallow insertion limits sense of pressure in inner ear.20171018_112148.jpg

Oct 18, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #325 of 659
This mod is aHuge help in addressing the comfort of the earhooks. (1/4 to 1/32 heat shrink, and 1/2 to 1/4 heat shrink over the smaller. Had them on for 7 hours straight, with little to no discomfort. Again, these don't need a deep insertion, for most. A larger tip to simply create a seal with shallow insertion limits sense of pressure in inner ear.
I got some tubing, and memory wire, then broke the ear clips, at the point that they start to curve around the ears. Then I measured the amount of tubing needed, then cut the memory wire, to fit inside the tubing, then bent it to the same shape as the ear clip. I then slotted the tubing over the remaining part of the ear clip. So, to sum up, there was only about half inch of the ear clip used, then the over ear, is all memory wire. Hope this helps some of you. You now have a couple of ways of doing it.

Oct 19, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #326 of 659
I am considering one of these for work, how is the isolation and leak? I've heard that planar IEMs leaks more than normal IEMs, and this is important since my workplace is not very noise-tolerant (the guy next to my cube complained when I had my HD555 on, so I had to switch to a M50). Thanks!

Oct 19, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #327 of 659
I got some tubing, and memory wire, then broke the ear clips, at the point that they start to curve around the ears. Then I measured the amount of tubing needed, then cut the memory wire, to fit inside the tubing, then bent it to the same shape as the ear clip. I then slotted the tubing over the remaining part of the ear clip. So, to sum up, there was only about half inch of the ear clip used, then the over ear, is all memory wire. Hope this helps some of you. You now have a couple of ways of doing it.
That's interesting, but I'm pretty sure not all will be quite as handy as you were with this mod.
I am considering one of these for work, how is the isolation and leak? I've heard that planar IEMs leaks more than normal IEMs, and this is important since my workplace is not very noise-tolerant (the guy next to my cube complained when I had my HD555 on, so I had to switch to a M50). Thanks!
Yes they leak, however, being that these are in ear, the volume level that is listenable is far less than that of cans. As long as he's not laying right next to you, you can have an audible volume that he won't hear, and you can still hold s conversation with the music playing and the headphones in your ears.

Oct 24, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #329 of 659
One of the transparent hooks just snapped in two, still no reply from Monoprice on a service ticket from oct. 4, no reply to sent email @Support from oct. 18. No way to wear 'm now, what a waste.
Oh, wow. I'm so sorry. I've had NO issues with the transparent. I actually set some fire to them to change the shape a bit, which has been helpful. Looking on the internet, there are little to NO reviews on these things still. My enjoyment of these has me interested to know how they compare to the 3 other sub $1000 priced in ear headphones currently on the market

Oct 25, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #330 of 659
Oh, wow. I'm so sorry. I've had NO issues with the transparent. I actually set some fire to them to change the shape a bit, which has been helpful. Looking on the internet, there are little to NO reviews on these things still. My enjoyment of these has me interested to know how they compare to the 3 other sub $1000 priced in ear headphones currently on the market
No worries, my PM-3 isn't bad too. Been looking around for a 3d printing pen to make some hooks, pretty cheap (even cheaper than ordering a groovy kit) but still not sure about the best filament material to use.
So which one besides the isines are you thinking of comparing to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back