Monolith M1570 Over Ear Open Back Balanced Planar Headphones
Mar 13, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #766 of 1,015
5 year year warranty, better build quality, and better cabling than Hifiman products. As for the sound quality, that's subjective. I haven't heard the XS but I didn't care for the Ananda or Sundara. The only Hifiman I would consider buying is the HE6se V2 for $549.
I also own the HE6se V2, and that was my #1 headphone before the XS.
The M1570 is #3. I'm not saying it's a bad headphone... with EQ it performs really well and comes very close to the Hifiman sets. My issue is the inconvenience of the pinout, and the MSRP/current cost.

If someone does want a lightly used M1570 for less, I haven't listed mine for sale yet, but will be.

I'm a big fan of the Monolith brand, so I'd be paying attention to any new Planars if they release one this year. Maybe a THX-889 refresh? The THX-889 has been my amp for awhile now.

Mar 13, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #767 of 1,015
I also own the HE6se V2, and that was my #1 headphone before the XS.
The M1570 is #3. I'm not saying it's a bad headphone... with EQ it performs really well and comes very close to the Hifiman sets. My issue is the inconvenience of the pinout, and the MSRP/current cost.

If someone does want a lightly used M1570 for less, I haven't listed mine for sale yet, but will be.

I'm a big fan of the Monolith brand, so I'd be paying attention to any new Planars if they release one this year. Maybe a THX-889 refresh? The THX-889 has been my amp for awhile now.
I'm currently looking at "new" tech, so either some AMT or ribbon headphones.

Apr 3, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #768 of 1,015
Kind of sad with the current pricing on the M1570. The lowest I've seen the sale price as of late has been $449, and it's usually $499. This means the unit no longer can compete with the Sundara, and is now in the Edition XS tier, leaving the M1070 to compete with the Sundara. Maybe that's intentional, or it's just shipping cost inflation creeping into prices.

Planning to add a Little Dot MK III SE to my setup in the foreseeable future when I can save up my pennies.

Apr 3, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #769 of 1,015
Kind of sad with the current pricing on the M1570. The lowest I've seen the sale price as of late has been $449, and it's usually $499. This means the unit no longer can compete with the Sundara, and is now in the Edition XS tier, leaving the M1070 to compete with the Sundara. Maybe that's intentional, or it's just shipping cost inflation creeping into prices.

Planning to add a Little Dot MK III SE to my setup in the foreseeable future when I can save up my pennies.
For anyone that's interested, I'm selling my M1570 for a good price in the classifieds.

Apr 4, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #770 of 1,015
Decided to tweak my EQ settings to improve the level of impact performance of the M1570. Original EQ courtesy of Oratory1990 for M1570 Lambskins, then adjusted for my preferences and age. After today's retuning, man, these babies can slap, and not just in regards to bass. Drums are detailed and visceral, other instruments are no longer disappearing into the background, and vocals are where they should be, and sound so natural. I'll share this profile here if anyone wants to play:

Code:
Filter: ON LSC Fc 124 Hz Gain 7.5 dB Q 0.71
Filter: ON PK Fc 1100 Hz Gain -1.2 dB Q 2
Filter: ON HSC Fc 1300 Hz Gain 7.8 dB Q 0.71
Filter: ON PK Fc 3050 Hz Gain -1.8 dB Q 3
Filter: ON PK Fc 5000 Hz Gain -5.1 dB Q 4
Filter: ON PK Fc 8100 Hz Gain -4.6 dB Q 6
Filter: ON HSC Fc 10000 Hz Gain -2.6 dB Q 0.71
Preamp: -2.5 dB

You adjust the tuning using the 3 shelfs. 124 Hz (bass), 1300 Hz (vocals and mids), and 10000 Hz (for air)

Now I have to reconsider my future plans for headphones... the signature is very spot on to what I like to experience.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #771 of 1,015
Hi there! Thanks to the US Monoprice eBay store, I can get the M1570 for £470. The next contender as my next pair of headphones is the Hifiman Edition XS which is £10 more. I love the look of the M1570 more and I don't mind the extra weight if it has better sound. Monoprice also said I could get warranty service from the UK site. So which one should I get?

I already own the Hifiman HE-X4 and iFi Zen stack.

Apr 5, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #772 of 1,015
Hi guys! I have read all the pages here - great bunch of information, big thanks to all of you :beerchug:

I was very lucky... bought the 1570s as "B-Stock" for only 380€ / 410 USD just because of a few little scratches on the headband and so on. Here in the EU, it's quite a fair price.

I really like these headphones a lot - they bring some "musical magic" out of the tracks, hard to describe. Especially mids are great, soo creamy and a little bit colored (in a positive way). Reminds me in some way of my good old Hifiman HE-500 - the mids, especially voices on this headphone are soo unique, soft, silky, present but without being shouty. In general, the M1570s are a bit of a mix between LCD2 and HE-500. Not exactly, but these were my first thoughts. But they are much more "magical" than the LCD-2 and have the full body and bass power which i missed on my HE-500. Perfect match for me! Also they are working perfectly together with my Burson Amp.

The weight... oh yeah, you can feel it :dt880smile: As i am a karting racedriver, my head / neck is well trained, so i have no issues handling these rocks. My ananda is just feeling like a piece of cheap plastic sh*** when A/B ing these cans.

As i will definitely keeps these headphones, i'm thinking about buying a 2,5mm balanced cable for my iBasso DX220. But not sure if that's really necessary... Power is enough, don't know if there would be some other improvements too.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #773 of 1,015
Hi there! Thanks to the US Monoprice eBay store, I can get the M1570 for £470. The next contender as my next pair of headphones is the Hifiman Edition XS which is £10 more. I love the look of the M1570 more and I don't mind the extra weight if it has better sound. Monoprice also said I could get warranty service from the UK site. So which one should I get?

I already own the Hifiman HE-X4 and iFi Zen stack.
M1570 has better build quality and has a 5 year warranty, and the cabling is rather good quality, as opposed to Hifiman, which has QA issues, failed drivers after a few months, craptacular cabling, and only 1 year warranty.

Apr 5, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #774 of 1,015
M1570 has better build quality and has a 5 year warranty, and the cabling is rather good quality, as opposed to Hifiman, which has QA issues, failed drivers after a few months, craptacular cabling, and only 1 year warranty.
Well damn, that's a good argument.

Aaaannnnddddd ordered :)

Apr 11, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #777 of 1,015
Apr 15, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #778 of 1,015
So my M1570's just came in...

Tried them without EQ and with Oratory1990's EQ. Without EQ I would return these, they sounded really muddy compared to my HE-X4. With that preset though, it sounds soooooooooooo gooood! Vocals are crisp, I can pick out each instrument in the tracks and I can feel the music all around me. I'm definitely keeping these :D

The best way I can hear the difference is the song Tenebrous by Essenger. In the beginning, I can hear what sounds like raindrops in the beginning while you can't tell with the HE-X4. Then when the song drops, the HE-X4 are much softer while the M1570 are sharper and cleaner.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #779 of 1,015
So my M1570's just came in...

Tried them without EQ and with Oratory1990's EQ. Without EQ I would return these, they sounded really muddy compared to my HE-X4. With that preset though, it sounds soooooooooooo gooood! Vocals are crisp, I can pick out each instrument in the tracks and I can feel the music all around me. I'm definitely keeping these :D

The best way I can hear the difference is the song Tenebrous by Essenger. In the beginning, I can hear what sounds like raindrops in the beginning while you can't tell with the HE-X4. Then when the song drops, the HE-X4 are much softer while the M1570 are sharper and cleaner.
It's amazing what you get in the HE-X4 for the money. And then something like the Ananda, and M1570 (I presume) comes along, and stamps it out of rotation.

Apr 15, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #780 of 1,015
It's amazing what you get in the HE-X4 for the money. And then something like the Ananda, and M1570 (I presume) comes along, and stamps it out of rotation.
HE-X4 is 100% worth the money.

But something that costs like 5x it should definitely beat it xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back