Monolith M1570 Over Ear Open Back Balanced Planar Headphones
Jan 24, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #736 of 1,015
I responded in pm to 227qed, but I just want to comment in the open a few things for others to read.

The Schiit Asgard is a stop gap side-grade and a waste of money. It is a glorified Magni that has a built in power supply and DAC card capable. Don't do it. Just save for the Jotunheim 2. It has outclass the Asgard EVERY TIME I have compared them with every headphone. The performance gap is that big. Jotunheim 2 is a great amp.
RebelAmp is performing at $900 or more in sound quality. I would pay $900 or more for this sound. Buy one now before Rebel Audio figures out their pricing mistake and raise the price.
Singxer SA-1 pairs wonderfully with the M1570 at $560 and performs like $560. But why get it when the RebelAmp exists.
Thanks again, really appreciate the honest feedback!

Jan 29, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #738 of 1,015
So here's a question: I'm just about to attach a modmic to my M1570's. The Modmic uses a magnet to attach the microphone to the mount that you glue to the side of your headphones. But will that magnet negatively affect the headphones at all?

Jan 30, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #739 of 1,015
So here's a question: I'm just about to attach a modmic to my M1570's. The Modmic uses a magnet to attach the microphone to the mount that you glue to the side of your headphones. But will that magnet negatively affect the headphones at all?
The Modmic magnet isn't particularly strong. The magnets in the planar drivers themselves are much stronger and they don't influence any ferrous metals outside the cups. I think if you attach the Modmic to the rim surrounding the grille rather than directly on the grille itself, you should be more than safe.

Jan 30, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #740 of 1,015
The Modmic magnet isn't particularly strong. The magnets in the planar drivers themselves are much stronger and they don't influence any ferrous metals outside the cups. I think if you attach the Modmic to the rim surrounding the grille rather than directly on the grille itself, you should be more than safe.
Phew!! Thank you!

Jan 30, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #742 of 1,015
listens to the sound of all the magnets going to the outer shell where JdeFalconr puts the mic mount. :)
Stop it, you're scaring me.

Seriously now, I'm looking like mad for a microphone that will output 3.5mm to play nice with the SB X4. USB or XLR mics are all the way rage but Creative Labs in their infinite wisdom only added a 3.5mm mic input, because why would you use anything else? But I digress, this is not an audio forum.

Jan 30, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #743 of 1,015
Stop it, you're scaring me.

Seriously now, I'm looking like mad for a microphone that will output 3.5mm to play nice with the SB X4. USB or XLR mics are all the way rage but Creative Labs in their infinite wisdom only added a 3.5mm mic input, because why would you use anything else? But I digress, this is not an audio forum.
I use a desk mic that has 3.5mm out and USB option. :shrug:

Feb 6, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #744 of 1,015
So after nearly completing my FrankenCable (pictures incoming) I am now genuinely curious what it would cost to rewire the Audeze mic cable to work with M1570's. Does anyone know of a service that might be able to do it?

EDIT: Behold: Compy 386 FrankenCable! Part M1570 stock, part ModMic, part 3.5mm extension, part PET sleeving and heat-shrink tubing.

Attachments

• PXL_20220206_184515290.jpg
    PXL_20220206_184515290.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #745 of 1,015
So after nearly completing my FrankenCable (pictures incoming) I am now genuinely curious what it would cost to rewire the Audeze mic cable to work with M1570's. Does anyone know of a service that might be able to do it?

EDIT: Behold: Compy 386 FrankenCable! Part M1570 stock, part ModMic, part 3.5mm extension, part PET sleeving and heat-shrink tubing.
Probably easier to open the outer shell and resolder the min-XLR pins to match Audeze layout, and you'd have to get a new cable to replace the stock one.

Feb 6, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #746 of 1,015
Probably easier to open the outer shell and resolder the min-XLR pins to match Audeze layout, and you'd have to get a new cable to replace the stock one.
Sayonara warranty

Feb 7, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #747 of 1,015
Sayonara warranty
A more professional or automated solder would be hard to replicate, but the factory solder job is of poor quality. You can easily match it in execution, twice if you needed to undo it before sending back.

I ended up getting a custom Hart cable made before opening (and breaking a wire free from the factory solder joint when trying to swap headbands). My very poor solder skills easily matched (reattaching the wire that broke free) the oem solder joint.

Feb 8, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #748 of 1,015
Did some work today with the DT-1990, and for fun tried to get them to be more in line with the M1570, and decided the Dekoni Elite Hybrids did the best job for that. Also noted that my M1570 EQ was lacking a tad in bass impact/slam, so I adjusted Oratory1990's tuning, sliding the left shelf from 115Hz to 125Hz, and restored the slam back to be balanced with the rest of the audio, and the music is just that more immersive and energetic. (Going up to 135Hz caused the bass to get bloaty) So the EQ is sounding it's best it ever has been. :)

Addendum: After a day with the change, I still cannot fathom how such a minuscule EQ adjustment makes the whole audio reproduction so much more satisfying by several degrees. It's like I fixed the one thing that was missing, and now have perfection. Songs have gained energy and impact, and has had a positive impact on the instruments and vocals. The bass blends seamlessly, and everything is full-bodied. \o/

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #749 of 1,015
Well I upgraded the firmware in my modi multibit and got a jot2 about the same time.

The combo seems to have taken my 1570C up a notch for sure. The bass on the jot2 is hard to describe with these. It’s not seeming to be louder, but just fuller and more present so I don’t find myself cranking up the 20 Hz knob on my Loki as much. I think the imagining and detail has improved a bit as well.

Overall I’m back to just caring about the music, not the gear, so that’s really the highest praise I can give to my new DD setup. Though a BF2 and lokius are on the menu for future upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back