Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Jun 14, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #796 of 1,409
got mine today! Initial impressions:

1. Pads are smaller than the M1060. They arent as thick as the M1060. Ears are closer to the driver.
2. Out of the box they sound great with a pretty wide soundstage and are really resolving. Like them better than the Sendy Aiva.
3. maybe because they are new they seem more solid than the M1060. There is less movement in the headband and the cups dont move a freely.
4. the opening in the pads seem to be wider and less tall than the m1060
5. Same old stupid box and case.

Looking forward to burn in and modding these.

For $260 they are off the hook on value.

Jun 15, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #797 of 1,409
hi! for folks wondering how the convertible grille works here are images of how it assembles together. The teal part is the stock wood cup rotated 45 degrees so you can bolt them to the adapter plate without interfering with the stock screws locations( new holes are located 12, 3, 6 and 9 o clock positions). The green part is the adapter plate. You can either secure the wood cups with m1.7 nuts and bolts, or just glue it to the adapter plate. The purple parts are the pegs that interface with the grilles. The red part is the grille that has holes in them that hold the purple pegs. Just screw in the grille as normal. I will include M3 bolts in the kit that will hold the pegs in place and they will also be magnetized by the driver for a secure lock :)

I'll probably include 2 sets of pegs: 4mm and 6mm so you can choose between closed and semi-open :D

ZzLk5BV.png

zWEb2kZ.png

Jun 17, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #798 of 1,409
Hey guys! The new grilles are now available here: https://armattanproductions.com/pages/shop_product_grid/1971

These are convertible so you can quick detach the wood cups to make them from Open to Close or vice versa. These kits are sold in pairs unlike the product page where parts are sold as individual items

For folks who bought the original m1060C Monolith Grilles, there's a backwards compatible kit in there too :)

Do note that these are using thicker carbon plates compared to the previous ones. If you plan to attach the adapter plates to the stock wood cups, you have to purchase m1.7 nuts and bolts separately because armattan doesn't have them in their inventory. Otherwise, just use adhesive to attach your wood cups to the adapter plate.

When you put on the spacers to the adapter plate, make sure that the screws are towards the driver while the nuts are towards the cups so the driver's magnets will have something bigger to attract

s6e2r1l.png

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #799 of 1,409
Hey guys! The new grilles are now available here: https://armattanproductions.com/pages/shop_product_grid/1971

These are convertible so you can quick detach the wood cups to make them from Open to Close or vice versa. These kits are sold in pairs unlike the product page where parts are sold as individual items

For folks who bought the original m1060C Monolith Grilles, there's a backwards compatible kit in there too :)

Do note that these are using thicker carbon plates compared to the previous ones. If you plan to attach the adapter plates to the stock wood cups, you have to purchase m1.7 nuts and bolts separately because armattan doesn't have them in their inventory. Otherwise, just use adhesive to attach your wood cups to the adapter plate.

When you put on the spacers to the adapter plate, make sure that the screws are towards the driver while the nuts are towards the cups so the driver's magnets will have something bigger to attract

s6e2r1l.png
Wow! Any pics of the completed nautilus? They look GORGEOUS

Jun 27, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #800 of 1,409
There will be a reviewer for the "convertible" nautilus grille by next month when his pair arrives.

Jul 1, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #801 of 1,409
Hey gang! Production Fazors are finally here! And yes, your eyes aren't deceiving you, there's also m1060C fazors available that has been beta tested by another headifer Auxine. The m1060C version has an additional lip on the fazor for a tighter control of the mids and sub-bass retention.

webstore: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/drschnickistein-slab

wAS1d3Z.png

Jul 18, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #802 of 1,409
Curious...

If you have the M1060s... can the wood backs for the closed-back model be purchased to sort of turn your opens to closed when you feel like it?
Or are there after-market backs that can be put on the M1060s to close them?

Just wondering if this set is sort of interchangeable like that, or if the 2 models are completely different cans.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 18, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #803 of 1,409
Curious...

If you have the M1060s... can the wood backs for the closed-back model be purchased to sort of turn your opens to closed when you feel like it?
Or are there after-market backs that can be put on the M1060s to close them?

Just wondering if this set is sort of interchangeable like that, or if the 2 models are completely different cans.

Thanks in advance.
The cups have different diameters and screw patterns so the backs/grilles are not interchangeable. Additionally, you can't buy the M1060C cups alone from Monoprice (as far as I know). Also, the M1060C has a different (or modified) driver that is generally considered to be better. Because of these differences you would be better off just getting a M1060C instead and modding it, IMHO.

Jul 18, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #804 of 1,409
Well, I do sell mods to make m1060C open and closed :D

just not for the m1060 per se though...

On the other hand I could probably make some 3d printed set of cups for them if you want.

not sure how it'll affect performance <_<

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #805 of 1,409
Wow! Any pics of the completed nautilus? They look GORGEOUS

they look like this by the way. This version is the one that can use the convertible plates but you can just order the plain jane ones that don't include those holes:)

20190717_135830.jpg

here's a picture of one of my beta tester's m1060C rocking 3d printed fazors :D

he's settled for the version that's currently listed on the webstore

IMG_20190714_151906.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #806 of 1,409
These headphones deserve more attention. I really liked the M1060, but I love these. Excellent bass response with a nice balanced sound.

Easy enough to drive from a smartphone as well. Rare for a Planar.

Current EQ with Audeze Vegan pads:

Excuse me. With vegan pads the treable roll off a little? Actually the treable is a little enhanced in my m1060c with stocks pads..

Jul 22, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #807 of 1,409
20190719_141939.jpg
I have both. M1060c and M1060 are very different flavors sound wise. But, if I were to spend the money again, I'd go with the M1060c only. IMHO as a closed back although it's a little warmer and doesn't have the soundstage of the open, it's still very very good. However, once you take the back off of the C, that's when it really shines. I honestly believe they're going to release the m1060c without any changes other than the back and call it the m1065.
Excuse me, when you opened the m1060c, did you remove this cloth that cover the internal grids of the drivers?

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #809 of 1,409
Monoprice M1060C with Open Back Mod (LOSODO Grills) Measurements:
(MiniDSP EARS. Pur1n's compensation. 500Hz 84dB normalized. All 3 use 1/12 smoothing. Right Only)

Monoprice M1060C with Open Back Mod (green) vs LCD-2 Pre-Fazor Dekoni Velour Pads (red) vs Verum 1 (purple)
M1060C.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #810 of 1,409
Definitely not. I'd leave that there to protect the membranes.
My 1060s and 1060c both are naked and no issues with the membranes. Been like that for a year or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back