Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Oct 19, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #616 of 1,409
Is it supposed to open up after a little while? Asking coz me no happy out of the box, utter dynamics compression, hazy SS that's quite annoying, metallic & thin mids....yikes, it'd better behave soon or it's going back to amazon on monday.

I can name quite a few vintage orthos that sound a whole lot better to me.

That sounds like you could have very well gotten a defective pair. But a little burn in certainly doesn't hurt to see if it improves.

Oct 19, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #618 of 1,409
I happened to own a pair and disliked matching with Burson CV2+, bass sounded muffled and highs seemed to be very unnatural. Probalby Output impedance did not want to cooperate. I matched cans with Shanling M1 and it got a bit better but nów enough for me to keep it So I sold them, lol.

Oct 19, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #619 of 1,409
Sounds to me like FOTM and/or poor QA but I'll let it burn-in over the week-end at high volume for the hell of it :)

300 bones for such weight and poor resolution sounds far stretched to say the least :D

But then again, vanilla 1060 supposedly needs a day of burn-in so be it.

PS: anyway yeah, 1060C sounds like open drivers that were never meant to be closed. Sending it back to amazon.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #620 of 1,409
No, it won't fit.
Did anyone here attempt, and had any luck, putting the 1060 cups on an Audeze LCd model? I'm wondering if the size would fit the cup size of the lcd-2c? Would be a fun project.

Terribly sorry, I read this wrong. I thought u mean the back grill part. Were you referring to the wooden ring instead?

Oct 22, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #622 of 1,409
Is it supposed to open up after a little while? Asking coz me no happy out of the box, utter dynamics compression, hazy SS that's quite annoying, metallic & thin mids....yikes, it'd better behave soon or it's going back to amazon on monday. And EQ ain't solving nuttin :xf_eek:

I can name quite a few vintage orthos that sound a whole lot better to me.

The shouty mids don't go away. But mine responded quite well to EQ:
GlobalGain="-2"
Band Mode="Peak/Dip" Frequency="500" Gain="1.5" Bandwidth="1.39"
Band Mode="Peak/Dip" Frequency="1700" Gain="-4.5" Bandwidth="0.71"
Band Mode="Peak/Dip" Frequency="3500" Gain="2" Bandwidth="0.41"
Band Mode="Peak/Dip" Frequency="6300" Gain="2" Bandwidth="0.41"

BTW, at a similar price, I find the Argon MkIIIs superior. Comparable soundstage and imaging but better mids.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #623 of 1,409
The shouty mids don't go away (..) at a similar price, I find the Argon MkIIIs superior. Comparable soundstage and imaging but better mids.
I simply forgot how untrustworthy and misleading those headfi appreciation threads can be, lesson learned even though I got a full refund from amazon this time :D

I guess open grills for 1060C are a pre, forget about its closed cups altogether.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #624 of 1,409
I simply forgot how untrustworthy and misleading those headfi appreciation threads can be, lesson learned even though I got a full refund from amazon this time :D

I guess open grills for 1060C are a pre, forget about its closed cups altogether.

Yeah, that's the problem with this hobby. What sounds awesome to one person sounds terrible to another. Going off of anyone else's review is always risky.

Oct 22, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #625 of 1,409
Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #627 of 1,409
1060C is now only $249 at Monoprice.com. I just ordered one with free shipping to NY. I like my 1060 and now expecting 1060C's arrival. I also using the combined shipping discount to order two thick glass computer monitor stands.
1060C has been at $329 for long time. A BIG drop in price for sure.

Nov 5, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #628 of 1,409
After going back to my HD 6XXs as my daily drivers, and these gathering dust, I finally decided to try out converting these to open backs. Falling in love with these all over again. Also am currently using the Dekoni Elite Velour pads.

These just sound so much more natural and way less fatiguing to me as open backs. I always was a fan of the bass on these, but find it even cleaner with the change to open backs. Still incredibly detailed and finding the soundstage much more enjoyable. I originally bought them as my collection lacked a good pair of closed backs, but they had poor isolation so really will not be missing using them closed back.

With just the tweak of the pads and changing them to open backs these might finally dethrone my 6XXs as my daily drivers.

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #629 of 1,409
Fantastic! Glad I could help. Let me know your impressions once you get it. I love that X Bass switch since I'm a bit of a basshead. The only drawback to the amp that I've found is a lack of a power switch. To get around that I use it with a remote controlled power plug that I bought on eBay for like $10 to turn it on and off.

I've had enough time to evaluate the M1060C's (open modded) with the iCan SE and it is a pairing I really like: smooth, detailed yet very relaxing and non-fatiguing.

After converting these cans to open and running them via this hybrid tube amp they perform very well and punch above their weight - providing you give them enough juice.

I first tried this set up: Schiit Modi Multi > iFI iCan SE (Listening mostly to FLAC files through J River)

I liked it. Very clean sound. Bass extended low (nothing missing). Mids were pleasant (Do not find mids shouty or hear any ringing). Vocals pushed slightly forward but i like that.

Then, out of curiosity, I incorporated my Sony STR-DB790 again as a pre-amp feeding the iCan SE.

Not as black a background as before but... Goddam! the overall result was a lot better.

I was happy with how it was before but now, with the Sony's extra power, combined with the smooth / warm sound signature of the iFI iCan, these M1060C Opens suddenly came alive. I've test driven some LCD2 Classics and ZMF Atticus recently and really liked their impact and how they make you feel the music in a tactile way. The M1060C's are now getting closer to that experience (but a little less thickness and a bit more brightness).

Instrument separation, placement, imaging, detail and micro-detail are all improved. The music has become more holographic. Sometimes the sounds are happening around me and I am sitting in the centre of a performance.

What also increases the realism and enjoyment is that my open M1060C's can now dish out bass with authority. The detail and texture is outstanding. If i switch the iCan X-Bass on (and eq bass up a touch on the Sony) it is pure bass bliss. Clean, fast, detailed, extends way down low and makes my skin vibrate. Its not bloated and doesn't bleed into other frequencies. (I don't like overly bassy closed cans because of weird resonances that make my ears ring). This crap was clean though, completely controlled with no distortions.

The headphones have suddenly come to life and in turn brought the music to life. It allowed me to listen to my music collection in a completely new light. I heard details i didn't realise were there even though i'd heard those songs many times before.

I love the sound signature of the Modi Multi & iFI iCan combo. It just needed a touch more power to make the M1060C Opens shine.

I will replace the Sony in the future with a better, cleaner solution. But keeping me happy for now...

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #630 of 1,409
I've had enough time to evaluate the M1060C's (open modded) with the iCan SE and it is a pairing I really like: smooth, detailed yet very relaxing and non-fatiguing.

After converting these cans to open and running them via this hybrid tube amp they perform very well and punch above their weight - providing you give them enough juice.

I first tried this set up: Schiit Modi Multi > iFI iCan SE (Listening mostly to FLAC files through J River)

I liked it. Very clean sound. Bass extended low (nothing missing). Mids were pleasant (Do not find mids shouty or hear any ringing). Vocals pushed slightly forward but i like that.

Then, out of curiosity, I incorporated my Sony STR-DB790 again as a pre-amp feeding the iCan SE.

Not as black a background as before but... Goddam! the overall result was a lot better.

I was happy with how it was before but now, with the Sony's extra power, combined with the smooth / warm sound signature of the iFI iCan, these M1060C Opens suddenly came alive. I've test driven some LCD2 Classics and ZMF Atticus recently and really liked their impact and how they make you feel the music in a tactile way. The M1060C's are now getting closer to that experience (but a little less thickness and a bit more brightness).

Instrument separation, placement, imaging, detail and micro-detail are all improved. The music has become more holographic. Sometimes the sounds are happening around me and I am sitting in the centre of a performance.

What also increases the realism and enjoyment is that my open M1060C's can now dish out bass with authority. The detail and texture is outstanding. If i switch the iCan X-Bass on (and eq bass up a touch on the Sony) it is pure bass bliss. Clean, fast, detailed, extends way down low and makes my skin vibrate. Its not bloated and doesn't bleed into other frequencies. (I don't like overly bassy closed cans because of weird resonances that make my ears ring). This **** was clean though, completely controlled with no distortions.

The headphones have suddenly come to life and in turn brought the music to life. It allowed me to listen to my music collection in a completely new light. I heard details i didn't realise were there even though i'd heard those songs many times before.

I love the sound signature of the Modi Multi & iFI iCan combo. It just needed a touch more power to make the M1060C Opens shine.

I will replace the Sony in the future with a better, cleaner solution. But keeping me happy for now...

I'm glad you are liking the combo! I do have a question for you though. When you say you are feeding the iCan with the Sony how are you doing that? That Sony is a receiver, right? So is it through the headphone jack, speaker terminals, or is there another output on it? The Sony might be doing a little DSP to the sound even when set to straight through or maybe it's just the DAC chip it uses. My M1060 sounds very pleasant out of my Yamaha receiver even though it hasn't got very much output power out of the headphone jack (I think it's only like 150mW) but it sounds different from my other amps. Whatever the amp does though, the M1060 responds well to it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back