Modify your Woo 6. . Sophia and EML 274B . Images pages 32, 33, 34 of int. and ext. and discussion of the SE . . .
Dec 31, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #811 of 893
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Brighten,

Pics of the surf lessons on real waves are up - they've only surfed the web about 3x since Xmas Eve...
tongue.gif

The stepped attenuators are supposed to have a more transparent effect on the sound, as you are using a higher quality circuit for the sound to pass through. I still plan to upgrade to a Goldpoint like jamato8 one of these days, but the stock attenuator hasn't been bad. I still wonder if my standard attenuator is why a stock WA6 without max, PDPSU or Sophia is 90% of my maxed with all the upgrades except attenuator.

Thanks Larry, that stock Woo certainly is a bargain for the performance ratio though.
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #812 of 893
It isn't a huge jump and I don't think any attenuator is unless the stock one is just of poor quality but it does further refine the sound. Since the signal goes through these resistors, they are important. The stock attenuator is a conductive plastic type, which isn't bad but high quality individual resistors are better. You also don't have the contacts that wear out but that does take a long time.

I prefer the Goldpoint to the DACT (they coppied Goldpoint and continue to) and the GP is less expensive but uses the same switch (they used this switch first).

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #814 of 893
It has taken some time but the teflon bypass caps on the coupling caps and the first power supply cap are broken in now. The transparency refined and in general the sound is the best I have heard.

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #815 of 893
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have kept him abreast of what I have done and the changes. All you have to do is mention the pseudo dual power supply and he will know. Also the 470uf cathode bypass caps.

Jam et al: Sorry for my lack of understanding the circuit topology, but by all of your subsequent experience, and assuming Jack would do all the work, is this still the way to go? You guys have done plenty else, but if I were to have one made with the PDPS and with Jack's recommended (site-listed) upgrades I would ask for the 220 ufs to be replaced with the 470 caps? Would he agree to this? Any latest opinions on the DACT attenuator? Known to sound better than the Alps? I know Jam likes the Goldpoint, but Jack probably wouldn't do that one. Is the 2dB stepping of the DACT perhaps an issue? The Sophia sounds like a "must."

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #816 of 893
If you are going with the upgraded caps but most are good. The DACT is better than the standard volume control. On the Gold Point I have never found that the stepping is an issue but I don't know how close this is to the DACT. On the one DACT I had that I used on a preamp I had to get their modification kit that contained really little SMD resistors the change the initial steps to smaller ones.

The pseudo dual power supply is the must and then better coupling caps.

Jan 26, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #817 of 893
I just received my WA6 w/ the Pseudo Dual Power Supply, and the Sophia Princess upgrade everything else in the amp is stock. I didn't read this thread before placing my order, should I (or can I) send back my unit for upgrades? Will there be a huge improvement in sound? Also, does burn in really make the sound better? I'm using the 6 with Grado GS1000s, and I want to get the best sound possible. Thanks!

Jan 26, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #818 of 893
Sure burn in is needed. At least 100 hours but enjoy it the whole time. I think you got the main good upgrades. The only other thing would be the attenuator.

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #819 of 893
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure burn in is needed. At least 100 hours but enjoy it the whole time. I think you got the main good upgrades. The only other thing would be the attenuator.

Jam, speaking of burn-in, I saw in another thread your mention of the Sophia Princess darkening in color - has yours held up sound-wise? Are you driving it harder or less hard than Jack's maxed PDPS setup? Thanks to your recommendations, I am expecting a maxed PDPS with Sophia in a couple of weeks.

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #820 of 893
Well, the Sophia does physically darken in colour as the silvering on the tube does seem to grow over time.

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #821 of 893
Quote:

Originally Posted by sclamb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the Sophia does physically darken in colour as the silvering on the tube does seem to grow over time.

How dark will it get lets say in a 1000 hours or so, does anyone know? Will it just keep getting darker and darker till you cant see into the tube anymore?

Feb 1, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #822 of 893
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never had a tube make as many changes during burn-in as this Sophia Princess.

Now with 42 hours on it the bass on my Edition 9 is totally different on my WA6 vs new with ZERo hours, being tight and controlled vs loose and flabby at first. The treble has always been nice with this tube, and better than my Bugle Boy or Philips metal base GZ34. The lower mids were too forward at ZERO hours and are now opening up nicely, and soundstage is already matching my Single POwer Square Wave XL balanced.

For the first time, my Edition 9 via WA6 sound better than my Balanced SR-325i. And, for the first time I think I may actually like the Edition 9 on the WA6 better than on the Single Power Sq Wave XL, as they seem slightly more alive and vibrant, with more powerful but controlled bass. The Sq Wave is very good with these headphones, and makes them more neutral and accurate I think, while the WA6 still has them colored but in a good way.

I still have 58 more hours to reach the Sophia recommended burn-in of 100 hours, so we'll see if this holds up. If it stays like this or gets better (not worse) I will be thrilled, and can whole heartedly recommend the WA6 maxed with PDPS for running Edition 9 headphones. And, it still sounds great with my RS-1 and HD600!

Did your Princess also darken a lot? More importantly, has the SQ held up? Mine is coming soon (thanks to you guys), and I want to make sure that the Sophia's expense is justified with long-lasting SQ. Thanks

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #823 of 893
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2wheels4me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did your Princess also darken a lot? More importantly, has the SQ held up? Mine is coming soon (thanks to you guys), and I want to make sure that the Sophia's expense is justified with long-lasting SQ. Thanks

Mine is still clear and sounds as good as ever. No worries mate!

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #824 of 893
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How dark will it get lets say in a 1000 hours or so, does anyone know? Will it just keep getting darker and darker till you cant see into the tube anymore?

The bottom get silvered but you will still see the tube in all its glory
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back