Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
Jul 18, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #49 of 1,323
Well, got my Argon MK3s today, hardwire dual entry recabled by BTG-Audio w/ ZMF proteins run through a BasX A100 and all I can say is... Damn.

Yup that pretty much sums up the full review that I would give.... glad you are happy with the choice... I know I am

Jul 19, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #51 of 1,323
Are they t20 mk2 or t20v2? Big difference as they use completely different magnet arrays, but Ryan can mod either
Is there a spotters guide of some kind to be able to tell the various iterations apart? I can tell the difference between MK2 and MK3...but it seems like you are saying there are 2 different versions of the MK2.
From what I have read it doesn't matter as far as the Argon mod but now I am curious how I can tell which version I have.

Jul 19, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #52 of 1,323
Is there a spotters guide of some kind to be able to tell the various iterations apart? I can tell the difference between MK2 and MK3...but it seems like you are saying there are 2 different versions of the MK2.
From what I have read it doesn't matter as far as the Argon mod but now I am curious how I can tell which version I have.
Not really, but I was able to piece some info together by searching around.
Basically they changed from a round magnet array to the current square design at some point. Easy ways to tell include the markings on the cups and driver opening shape. The round driver, older model is referred to as the "t20v2" not to be confused with the newer but discontinued "t20mk2". Refer to these 2 posts for specifics.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fostex-cans.226557/#post-2763467
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fos...and-measurements.618659/page-69#post-10552117

Jul 19, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #53 of 1,323
Not really, but I was able to piece some info together by searching around.
Basically they changed from a round magnet array to the current square design at some point. Easy ways to tell include the markings on the cups and driver opening shape. The round driver, older model is referred to as the "t20v2" not to be confused with the newer but discontinued "t20mk2". Refer to these 2 posts for specifics.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fostex-cans.226557/#post-2763467
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fos...and-measurements.618659/page-69#post-10552117
Thanks, that's exactly what I needed. So I have a V2, not an MK2.

Jul 19, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #54 of 1,323
Are they t20 mk2 or t20v2? Big difference as they use completely different magnet arrays, but Ryan can mod either
I hope this is the case...I have been reading a lot about these for years and somehow I missed that there were 2 different versions of the earlier version...I thought it was simply MK2 or MK3 I needed to choose from. I'll be bummed if it turns out I can't get some Argons after all, since that was the whole point of picking up this set in the first place.

Jul 20, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #55 of 1,323
Anybody love HD600/650s and have tried these cans? I keep hearing these are vocal centric as well with more bass so Im interested.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #57 of 1,323
Anybody love HD600/650s and have tried these cans? I keep hearing these are vocal centric as well with more bass so Im interested.

I hope they don't sound anything like the HD600. I love the HD600 don't get me wrong. The HD600 is the most neutral headphone I've ever owned but these from the sounds of it are the exact opposite. I have neutral headphones and am looking for a fun sound signature. From what I understand these are warmer than the HD650 with bigger and deeper bass and enormous soundstage.

Argon Reviews

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #58 of 1,323
My T20RP (v2, not MKii) arrived today....I'm kind of underwhelmed. They aren't bad, but in stock form they don't seem like anything special. Part of me wants to try to figure out what kind of mods I could do to improve them...but I'm not sure what the point would be. I clearly need to send them off to Modhouse.

Jul 20, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #59 of 1,323
I hope they don't sound anything like the HD600. I love the HD600 don't get me wrong. The HD600 is the most neutral headphone I've ever owned but these from the sounds of it are the exact opposite. I have neutral headphones and am looking for a fun sound signature. From what I understand these are warmer than the HD650 with bigger and deeper bass and enormous soundstage.

I own the 650s and the argons... They are as different as you can get. You will not be disappointed. The 600 series is very neutral and closed in sound stage and the argons are very open sounding and a really fun sound signature. I think if you only had two headphones to get then these would compliment each other very well.

Jul 21, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #60 of 1,323

Argon Reviews

Users who are viewing this thread

Back