Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
May 13, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #1,025 of 2,832
You can get a free sample... http://www.tempurpedic.com/Our-Company/information-kit.asp

Too bad we can't get that in Canada :frowning2:

May 14, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #1,026 of 2,832
Anyone know the dimensions of the drivers on the T50RP?  I was thinking of transplanting the drivers from a T20v2 that I recently picked up onto my already painted T50RP enclosure whose drivers were fried (and I threw out, derp). 

As a side note, I'm fiddling with the T20v2 drivers.  Anybody have any experience modding them (if they are at all different from the T50RP drivers, which I assume they are). 

May 14, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #1,028 of 2,832
Anyone know the dimensions of the drivers on the T50RP?  I was thinking of transplanting the drivers from a T20v2 that I recently picked up onto my already painted T50RP enclosure whose drivers were fried (and I threw out, derp). 

As a side note, I'm fiddling with the T20v2 drivers.  Anybody have any experience modding them (if they are at all different from the T50RP drivers, which I assume they are). 

Search the Orthodynamic Roundup thread for T20v2 tuning tips. Also, check Faust3D's Wikiphonia site.

I'll measure T50RP dimensions and post tonight. The diaphragm frame is 48 x 52 mm, not counting the solder pad that protrudes outside the frame and not counting the 3 driver to baffle screw sockets.

Too bad you tossed the fried diaphragms. Unless they were truly toast, they may have been repairable.

May 14, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #1,029 of 2,832
I've used temperpedic memory foam before, the biggest difference I noticed is the mid bass increase in quantity and tightness

Other open-cell foams can also work well, though it depends on what you use and the specific application. I got a few various materials off this site to play around with for both internal cup and front driver damping: http://www.foambymail.com/

May 15, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #1,030 of 2,832
I work at a plastic sheet company and I'm making some 1/4 sheet tonight, I'm going to bring some home and make spacers for between the driver and baffle to make the driver farther from my ear to see what it does to the sound stage.

May 15, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #1,031 of 2,832
Search the Orthodynamic Roundup thread for T20v2 tuning tips. Also, check Faust3D's Wikiphonia site.

I'll measure T50RP dimensions and post tonight. The diaphragm frame is 44 x 52 mm, not counting the solder pad that protrudes outside the frame and not counting the 3 driver to baffle screw sockets.

Too bad you tossed the fried diaphragms. Unless they were truly toast, they may have been repairable.

Haha, I sparked my drivers because I had just come from lab.  My bad for not wearing an antistatic band.

I checked Wikiphonia, but it doesn't have the driver size for some reason.  According to some people on Head-Fi (after a while of searching), the drivers should be the same. 

May 16, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #1,032 of 2,832

T50RP drivers are square. T20v2 drivers are round. 

Here's one of my T20v2 mods I did 2 years ago:

T20v2 round driver with stock white damping material ~ 50 mm diameter. The driver housing appears to be built into the baffle as a single unit.
Newplast around the driver and onto the baffle.

Paxmate Plus in cup floor wells
Not Shown: Stock open cell foam disk fills the cup and compresses against the back of the driver

Stiff felt donut on back of driver

Soft felt inner disk

Paxmate Plus "Ear Ring"
Stock pads 
I have not tried Shure 840 pads, yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back