Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
Jul 29, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #80 of 1,323
Also there is the sound benefits that tone wood can add to the listening experience. I've made hundreds of wood cups and have owned many headphones made of wood but all were Grado style cups.

Check out my wood.

Aug 5, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #81 of 1,323
I have recently been in contact with Ryan at Modhouse in regards to modding my T20 V2 (with the round drivers) and he said he can mod them, and make them come close to the classic Argon sound, which is awesome. I realize it has a different driver design/ different sound signature....but if it comes close to the Argon sound I'll be happy. Additionally he said he's going to work with me on getting them done in time so that I can compare them to the Dekoni Blue that I will have on loan. I contacted them a while back to try to get the timing down, and he seems pretty cool about trying to make it work out.
I personally am curious to hear how the two compare, and I am betting a lot of other headfiers would be curious to know how the Dekoni and the Argon compare side by side as well....so I'm hoping it all works out. I'll keep y'all posted.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #82 of 1,323
This is an important comparison, and nowadays the Dekoni Blue might have to be thrown into the mix as well. I'm still awaiting my Argon, I won't be able to do the Argon vs ZMF Classic comparison for another 1-1.5 months unfortunately.
I'll be getting the Dekonis on loan around the end of September, I'm working with Ryan to get my Argons done in time to have the two at the same time...if things work out I'll be able to A/B them and give everyone a good idea of how the two compare.

Aug 10, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #83 of 1,323
I finally had a day this week that I got home early enough to go to the post office to send out my Fostex to Modhouse....but I didn't get clear instructions as to WHERE to send my headphones. The closest thing I got to an address was this: Mod House Audio • Elizabethtown, PA, United States
I was hoping to get the headphones out to Ryan so that I have the Argons back in time to compare them to the Dekoni Blue...but I don't feel comfortable sending them out with such vague information...I mean, am I supposed to just send them to Elizabethtown and the post office can figure it out from there? :wink:
Can anyone that has sent theirs off for modding give me more info?

Aug 10, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #84 of 1,323
I finally had a day this week that I got home early enough to go to the post office to send out my Fostex to Modhouse....but I didn't get clear instructions as to WHERE to send my headphones. The closest thing I got to an address was this: Mod House Audio • Elizabethtown, PA, United States
I was hoping to get the headphones out to Ryan so that I have the Argons back in time to compare them to the Dekoni Blue...but I don't feel comfortable sending them out with such vague information...I mean, am I supposed to just send them to Elizabethtown and the post office can figure it out from there? :wink:
Can anyone that has sent theirs off for modding give me more info?

Sent you address via PM...

Aug 10, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #85 of 1,323
Does anyone have experience with the Brainwavz HM5 Sheepskin Angled pads on the Argons? (Or any of the Brainwavz angled pads)
I understand the preferred pad is the ZMF...but is there that much difference between the two pads...if so, what is the difference?

Aug 11, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #86 of 1,323
I was chatting with Zach recently and he said that HM5 pads will alwaxs reflect more highs, because it uses different foam and of course there is a difference in material used.
Also the cowhide has the thickest material and has the most diffraction for the treble, so it will be the smoothest and keep the ear furthest from the driver.

I ordered Cowhide, they should be here in a week or so, I can post some impressions.. But I have mk3 Open Alphas, not Argons :D

Aug 11, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #87 of 1,323
I was chatting with Zach recently and he said that HM5 pads will alwaxs reflect more highs, because it uses different foam and of course there is a difference in material used.
Also the cowhide has the thickest material and has the most diffraction for the treble, so it will be the smoothest and keep the ear furthest from the driver.

I ordered Cowhide, they should be here in a week or so, I can post some impressions.. But I have mk3 Open Alphas, not Argons :D
Thanks, that's good information. I'm not as treble sensitive, so having pads that provide a little more treble wouldn't be such a bad thing for me.

Aug 12, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #88 of 1,323
Sent you address via PM...
I really appreciate you jumping in. Ryan got back to me later that day. I was able to finally get my T20 out to him and he should have them monday. It's been a little bit of back and forth and figuring things out as far as the timing, but hopefully things work out and my Argons are back in time to compare them to the Dekoni blue.
I'll be honest, I have been on headfi for several years,and I have been really interested in planar magnetics in general, and the Fostex T50RP series specifically....but I hadn't heard any until recently. I have read about ALL the variations and mutations and offspring (mayflower/mad dog/talus etc ) so I am really psyched to be getting some Argons for myself...AND at the same time I'll have the Dekoni Blue to compare.
If it all works out, the end of September will be like Christmas for me.....not only do I get my first set of planars, but ones that get crazy good reviews...AND I can compare to them to another set of planars that are a direct competitor.

Aug 12, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #90 of 1,323

Arty McGhee sent me his open Alpha for a listen and I loved the sound of that thing, when I heard the reviews of the Argon on youtube the reviews sounded so much like my time with the Open Alpha that I just had to order one.
I did my Open Alpha 2 weeks ago. The first impression was exactly like yours.
I do not have a chance to listen an Argon, but what people reviews say about the big soundstage, more bass, less details etc. The Open Alpha is exactly what this is. But maybe in a different level as the Argon.
If anyone who have both the Alpha and Argon to have a comparison is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back