Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
Jul 21, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #61 of 1,323
Well, got my Argon MK3s today, hardwire dual entry recabled by BTG-Audio w/ ZMF proteins run through a BasX A100 and all I can say is... Damn.

Can't wait to hear mine, they got sent out a while ago but my address got mixed up, hoping to receive them this week, have to keep monitoring the tracking details throughout each day to call and get it re-directed to my address when it's onboard for delivery. #WorthIt

Jul 21, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #62 of 1,323
Has anyone listened to the ZMF Classic and these ? If so how do they compare ?

Jul 21, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #63 of 1,323
Has anyone listened to the ZMF Classic and these ? If so how do they compare ?

This is an important comparison, and nowadays the Dekoni Blue might have to be thrown into the mix as well. I'm still awaiting my Argon, I won't be able to do the Argon vs ZMF Classic comparison for another 1-1.5 months unfortunately.

Jul 21, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #64 of 1,323
This is an important comparison, and nowadays the Dekoni Blue might have to be thrown into the mix as well. I'm still awaiting my Argon, I won't be able to do the Argon vs ZMF Classic comparison for another 1-1.5 months unfortunately.
I am on the list for the Dekoni Blue tour...I should get my time with them sometime around the last week of September. I was hoping to have some Argons to compare the two side by side, but the timing probably won't work out because the lead time is 9 weeks for them right now.
I'll be able to compare them after the fact obviously, but I would have liked to be able to a/b them.

Jul 21, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #65 of 1,323
My T20RP (v2, not MKii) arrived today....I'm kind of underwhelmed. They aren't bad, but in stock form they don't seem like anything special. Part of me wants to try to figure out what kind of mods I could do to improve them...but I'm not sure what the point would be. I clearly need to send them off to Modhouse.

I was underwhelmed when I got my T50RP, for a year tried many of the mods in the (fostex t50rp incremental mods and measurements) thread but never did come up with a sound that I liked, so I traded it off for a M50x which I traded off the next week. I thought the Fostex mods were crap after that...until Arty McGhee sent me his Open Alpha Dog. MrSpeakers shared a version of the Alpha Dog 3D printed headphone for the community to build DIY projects and Arty printed one, did the mods, and let me have a listen. It was like WOW! amazing sound. It sounded just like the reviews of the Argon.....which is why I'm buying one.

Jul 21, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #66 of 1,323
I know the recommended choice is to get the deerskin strap, but I thought I could work something else out for a little bit less money so I went down to the local leather shop and picked up a scrap and made one myself...I could have saved myself a little money, but I got two different pieces to see if there was one I preferred...total cost? $0.25 The original pads were total worn out garbage, so after trying a few different pads I landed on the HM5 hybrid as the most comfortable....
Can anyone confirm that Ryan can perform the Argon mod on a V2? I emailed them last week but haven't heard anything back

IMG_20180721_171002_004.jpg

Jul 23, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #67 of 1,323
I know the recommended choice is to get the deerskin strap, but I thought I could work something else out for a little bit less money so I went down to the local leather shop and picked up a scrap and made one myself...I could have saved myself a little money, but I got two different pieces to see if there was one I preferred...total cost? $0.25 The original pads were total worn out garbage, so after trying a few different pads I landed on the HM5 hybrid as the most comfortable....
Can anyone confirm that Ryan can perform the Argon mod on a V2? I emailed them last week but haven't heard anything back

That was the original Argon so I'm sure he can.

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #72 of 1,323
OK, I had the T50rp that was just before the Mk3, I assumed it was Version 2, I guess not.
I did a DEEP dive into the backstory of the Fostex RP story this weekend. (While listening to my pre 2006 V2 T 20RP :wink: )
Without getting too far into the weeds there have been something like 8 different versions of these headphones, some early ones had different cups (T30 for example) but since 1980-something they have all had the same cups but the DRIVERS changed in 2006 from the round configuration to the square one currently in use...the T50 kind of went away for a while and there were only the 40 and the 20 ....I've seen some people say there was NO V2 T50...some sources say there were, they just never got imported outside of Japan...but then the T50 came back with the MK2, but the T30 never came back...it's all confusing and interesting (more confusing than interesting, honestly )
Since the 80's they have the same cups, but V2 and earlier are round drivers, while MK2 and newer are square. They did some pad changes and further confused things by putting the newer pads on some old stock of headphones....but that's the basic difference.....I think.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #73 of 1,323
It's not. See my previous post. He can still mod them though, just wont sound exactly like the newer gen "square driver" argon.
I'm ok with them not sounding exactly like the newer versions if I can get them modded to have great soundstage AND great bass and retain the accurate mid range...I like the headphones in stock form, but I don't love them. The bass is rolled off, the treble is also... I was able to bring it up a little with the hybrid pads, but i definitly want more bass and a more expansive of soundstage would be wonderful.

Jul 26, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #75 of 1,323
Has anyone ever tried putting some wood cups on a pair of Argons? I'm curious if it would make them better or worse.

The internals of the plastic cups are heavily and strategically damped to produce the "Argon" sound.

I don't think changing the cup structure to wood would have an appreciable difference once the damping has been implemented unless you are increasing the volume of the cups in the process by a significant margin over stock.

In the end tuning a t50rp driver does seem to require a bit of magic so I could always be wrong...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back