Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
Feb 2, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #751 of 1,325
Is there much difference between Dekoni Audio Blue and Argons Mk3?
I know I've written a comparison between the headphones in this thread, I would do a search if I were you

Feb 3, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #753 of 1,325
I will echo the replies about the T60 Argon soundstage. It's expansive and cool when listening to music, but I would trust my DT 770 more for positional accuracy.
Would you think the T60 Argon is better than the T50RP argon or the T20RP argons? Just curious to find out.

Feb 4, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #757 of 1,325
Would you think the T60 Argon is better than the T50RP argon or the T20RP argons? Just curious to find out.
I don't have any experience with those, but I can say that they are miles ahead of my old Mad Dog Pro in every respect, if that means anything.

I can also share some feedback from Modhouse regarding pad selection. When I first got the T60s (unmodded), I put ZMF Ori pads on them. That sort of killed their midrange, which in my opinion could use a little boost if anything. When I communicated this to Ryan, along with my general preference for somewhat bright headphones, he suggested I get the pleather pads he offers. Pretty sure that was the right choice. I still boost 3k by a few dB with EQ, but after doing that, I can't imagine a better closed headphone. I don't even miss my K702.

Feb 5, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #758 of 1,325
I know these are 'semi-open' but how's the leak on the T50 & T60 Argons (I assume they'd be the same in that respect)?
Like for a shared room, would it bother other people at night or is it quiet?

I have the T50rp, and sound leakage is not that bad, I can pump it loud enough that can drown most of the noise outside, people aren't really hearing it from my experience.

As for in a very quiet room with people, what I can say is that if you're listening at just normal volume, sound won't leak that others will hear. If you pump it louder than average, similar to the loudness in a concert, it is possible that people around you can hear it.

Feb 5, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #759 of 1,325

Can the owners of the Argon MK3 please kindly test their Argon MK3 and their other favorite headphone for immersive single player gaming on this short youtube clip? I need to know which headphone has more RUMBLE when I shoot the cannon and more WEIGHT to the air when I do melee strike (whoosh whoosh effect). I have to make a decision today for purchasing.

Feb 9, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #761 of 1,325
Has anyone been in touch with Ryan from Modhouse? I am looking to send him a pair of T50rp MK2 to mod for me into the original Argons. I know he's probably swamped, and people do say he takes a while to respond to emails, but I'm a bit worried about him since the news of the passing of his father. I hope he is recovering OK. I know how hard that can be.

Also, if anyone has any experience sending him headphones to be modded, and knows what the standard operating procedure is for shipping items to him, that would be helpful. I should have the pair of headphones ready to ship to him within a couple of weeks. I am acquiring the T50rp from another user on here that is bringing them to the States from overseas.

Feb 9, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #762 of 1,325
Does anyone have experience with a T40RP Argon? I have a need for a total isolation headphone and am curious what a fully closed Argon wound sound like.

From my understanding, all the Argons are the exact same. They are semi-open (or should I say semi-closed?). The differences between models from the same generation do not make a difference in the end, because Ryan mods them to be exactly to his spec. Therefore, if the T40rp are a closed model, Ryan mods them to be the exact same as a T50rp, same goes for the T20rp.

Feb 9, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #764 of 1,325
That makes sense. I still wonder what a modded Argon with closed baffles sounds like. Probably a lot less bass and maybe some treble peaks. I’m still curious to hear a T40RP.
For the most part, the T40, 50, 20 are basically the same, just a difference in how much the various holes and vents are blocked.
I read a LOT about the various models and wrote a long post about it around here somewhere....if I remember correctly they are all basically semi closed to one degree or another. the "open" version, isn't very open, the Semi closed version is mostly closed, and the closed is somehow closed, but about as closed or leaky as the rest.
It seems like Fostex come in two flavors: semi closed and closed

Feb 9, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #765 of 1,325
From my understanding, all the Argons are the exact same. They are semi-open (or should I say semi-closed?). The differences between models from the same generation do not make a difference in the end, because Ryan mods them to be exactly to his spec. Therefore, if the T40rp are a closed model, Ryan mods them to be the exact same as a T50rp, same goes for the T20rp.
You've done your reading. I agree.
I think Ryans intent is a Unified Argon Sound.
You send them whatever version of Fostex you want, he sprinkles the Argon Dust on your 'ish and he sends you back an Argon. I am sure there are small variations in sound based on the housing and headband. Then there are further variations in sound based on the type of pads you choose...and finally you have to amp them, right?
SO...they all sound different and the same. At the end of the day it's Argons All the Way Down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back