Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
Nov 13, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #721 of 1,326
man i thought it was bad that it's been 8 weeks since my order... they must be slammed

Nov 13, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #722 of 1,326
I have a set of Fidelio X2HR coming tomorrow...sadly they might be replacing my Argons.
For my birthday this year I bought myself a sailboat to live on. I just got my solar system set up and I am finding that running a proper headphone amp just draws too much power to justify keeping it. I am thinking of reducing my headphone collection to low impedance/high efficiency headphones that sound good out of a cell phone or laptop, occasionally using a Fiio A3 for longer listening sessions.
Does anyone else have direct experience with how the X2 and the Argon compare?

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #723 of 1,326
I have a set of Fidelio X2HR coming tomorrow...sadly they might be replacing my Argons.
For my birthday this year I bought myself a sailboat to live on. I just got my solar system set up and I am finding that running a proper headphone amp just draws too much power to justify keeping it. I am thinking of reducing my headphone collection to low impedance/high efficiency headphones that sound good out of a cell phone or laptop, occasionally using a Fiio A3 for longer listening sessions.

I had the X2HR's briefly before I returned them. They were a bit heavy, not nearly as comfortable as the Argons. They have a lot of grain in the treble and didn't really tickle my ears that much. If I were looking for something open and fun like the X2HR I'd much prefer a pair of open back AKG 612 or 712 instead. The Argon's aren't really as hard to drive as they are made out to be. My Atom has no trouble with them and my LG V20 has enough power as well.

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #724 of 1,326
If you’re not averse to stockpiling 9v batteries, there are a couple of great powerful portable amps that would not require usb charging. I frequently use a Ray Samuels SR-71A with my Argons. Other options include Plussound Cloud Nine, Headamp Pico Power.

Nov 14, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #726 of 1,326
I had the X2HR's briefly before I returned them. They were a bit heavy, not nearly as comfortable as the Argons. They have a lot of grain in the treble and didn't really tickle my ears that much. If I were looking for something open and fun like the X2HR I'd much prefer a pair of open back AKG 612 or 712 instead. The Argon's aren't really as hard to drive as they are made out to be. My Atom has no trouble with them and my LG V20 has enough power as well.
One of my phones is actually an LG V20, and I don't feel like it powers the Argons sufficiently. I haven't tried it lately but I when I get the X2 I am going to a/b them on my phone and see.
As far as battery operated amps, I have seen people mention a couple of ones that seem to work, but the idea of having to remember to buy batteries and then store them on the boat, doesn't appeal to me. The AKG 7 series is another one I have been interested in for a while, but I don't think the bass would be sufficient for my preferences.
My use case is different than when I lived in a house...I had a couple of different amps hooked up to various laptop/tv/phones and switching back and forth was relatively straightforward. On the boat I need to simplify as much as possible. I want headphones that can be plugged directly into whatever device I choose with minimal loss in SQ. I have been kind of spoiled by my Fidelio L2. They sound so great out of lower powered sources that I only feel the need to amp them when I know I am going to be sitting still for longer listening sessions. I don't feel the same way about my Argons unfortunately. With the Argons plugged into a phone or laptop I find myself wanting for more, I know they can sound better so it's kind of a disappointing experience.

Nov 14, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #727 of 1,326
One of my phones is actually an LG V20, and I don't feel like it powers the Argons sufficiently. I haven't tried it lately but I when I get the X2 I am going to a/b them on my phone and see.
As far as battery operated amps, I have seen people mention a couple of ones that seem to work, but the idea of having to remember to buy batteries and then store them on the boat, doesn't appeal to me. The AKG 7 series is another one I have been interested in for a while, but I don't think the bass would be sufficient for my preferences.
My use case is different than when I lived in a house...I had a couple of different amps hooked up to various laptop/tv/phones and switching back and forth was relatively straightforward. On the boat I need to simplify as much as possible. I want headphones that can be plugged directly into whatever device I choose with minimal loss in SQ. I have been kind of spoiled by my Fidelio L2. They sound so great out of lower powered sources that I only feel the need to amp them when I know I am going to be sitting still for longer listening sessions. I don't feel the same way about my Argons unfortunately. With the Argons plugged into a phone or laptop I find myself wanting for more, I know they can sound better so it's kind of a disappointing experience.

It's odd, my V20 was not providing enough power for the Argons at all, I rebooted it and I guess something got fixed because it was way louder at the same volume level. I have a pair of L2BO as well, but as I've moved to Argons and become accustomed to their darker sound, the L2's seem pretty shouty now in comparison.

Nov 14, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #728 of 1,326
It's odd, my V20 was not providing enough power for the Argons at all, I rebooted it and I guess something got fixed because it was way louder at the same volume level. I have a pair of L2BO as well, but as I've moved to Argons and become accustomed to their darker sound, the L2's seem pretty shouty now in comparison.
It may just be a problem with my version of the V20. It's with Tmobile and I recall reading somewhere that their version is slightly different, so I may be missing out on some update, or it might not be recognizing my Argons as high impedance. I really need to get one of those little impedance adapters and see if that works.
You're not wrong about the L2s seeming shouty compared to some other headphones when you A/B them...conversely some headphones sound slow and dull compared to the L2...kinda depends on which headphones you wear first and what kind of music you're enjoying. Generally speaking when I am listening to 'digital' music (anything with artificial drums/bass such as hip hop) I love my Argons, and anything 'analog' (guitars, stand up bass, vocals) I love my L2 or Grado 325e.
I don't want to get rid of or replace my Argons, but if I can find another headphone to fill it's spot that doesn't force me to hassle with an amp constantly I am going to wind up using them a lot more.

Nov 14, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #729 of 1,326
I just got a T60RP Argon! very nice and compared to my MK2's I have had It's a slightly more organic sound with a warmth to it. In short it's exactly what I wanted an Argon with wood cups to be! It's a definite recommendation from me. Saying that I still love my new MK2 which I shipped with MK3 baffles and it has the balanced mod.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #730 of 1,326
When I got home after work yesterday there was a surprise delivery (never got a shipping notification) but there is was sitting on my porch and it was my Argon balanced MK3 headphones. I also have a T60RP with the balanced cable with ZMF cowhide pads and Mayflower baffles and I read a few people saying how they rated the T60RP over the Argon MK3 but for me my new Argon blows away my T60RPs. I compared both with the same balanced source on my Monolith Desktop DAC / THX Amp. Honestly I was very hyped for these after watching Z Reviews & DMS review of it so I was expecting to be disappointed because of having a very high expectation but that was not the case at all. Just want to say yes the wait was long but I am very very happy.

Nov 15, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #731 of 1,326
When I got home after work yesterday there was a surprise delivery (never got a shipping notification) but there is was sitting on my porch and it was my Argon balanced MK3 headphones. I also have a T60RP with the balanced cable with ZMF cowhide pads and Mayflower baffles and I read a few people saying how they rated the T60RP over the Argon MK3 but for me my new Argon blows away my T60RPs. I compared both with the same balanced source on my Monolith Desktop DAC / THX Amp. Honestly I was very hyped for these after watching Z Reviews & DMS review of it so I was expecting to be disappointed because of having a very high expectation but that was not the case at all. Just want to say yes the wait was long but I am very very happy.

Yes the Argon is a nicer headphone than stock T60, The T60 Argon is also very nice.

Nov 18, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #732 of 1,326
Heads up to anyone interested in buying an argon mk3 with zmf cowhide mod:

These will be in the for sale forums. I purchased them this spring and are in great condition. Figured I would let people in the forum know first - great if you want to skip the wait period.

Also selling a fiio k5pro amp.

The argon will be missed, I'm moving to a wireless setup.

Nov 19, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #733 of 1,326

Hi, have you managed to a/b the argon and x2 yet? Curious to hear how they sound compare to each other too, thanks!

Nov 23, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #735 of 1,326
I've been on the hunt for widest soundstage closed headphones. Right off the bat, I know that open headphones are generally wider by default, but if you had to rank closed headphones, are the Argons number 1? (which is wider, t60 argon or the t50?)

Currently, it's a choice between the whichever Argons are wider or the BeyerDynamic t5p (b-stock for $700)

If it's a MUCH bigger soundstage, I might consider the open LCD-2 classic or the DT1990 (don't know which one's wider)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back