Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
Dec 19, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #736 of 1,326
I have a Desktop PC motherboard with NE5532 Premium Headset Amplifier (Supports up to 600 Ohm headsets) - do you think that's enough to drive Argons?

If not, what would be good middle-of-the-road amplifier for Argons within let's say <$150 budget that requires USB connection only? I don't want one that needs extra external power brick.

Dec 19, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #737 of 1,326
I have a Desktop PC motherboard with NE5532 Premium Headset Amplifier (Supports up to 600 Ohm headsets) - do you think that's enough to drive Argons?

If not, what would be good middle-of-the-road amplifier for Argons within let's say <$150 budget that requires USB connection only? I don't want one that needs extra external power brick.

I don't know your motherboard offhand. 600ohm isn't a useful reference point in this case b/c Argons are low-impedance but require high current to drive. Many people will say it's impossible to get good sound this way, but it's probably worth trying. My laptop can drive Argons reasonably well -- although I don't think that's true of most laptops, for the record.

Re: amplifiers, I'm not sure b/c USB power can be something of a constraint. Maybe the Grace m9xx/m900 would be a good option? Or get a powerful portable amp like the Fiio A5.

(Some will for sure tell you that you need something that pushes multiple watts of power; I've never felt the need for that, but then again I haven't tried it yet, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. But I have no qualms running the Argon on amps that are in the same power ballpark as the A5, or less.)

Jan 30, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #746 of 1,326
I just opened the package on my T60 Argons from Ryan, the legend himself. I have a huge grin on my face while typing this. Detailed, quick, and punchy are the first adjectives that come to mind. I was looking for an upgrade to my DT 770, which while great, are a just a tiny bit harsh (Mt. Beyer is hell to climb) and boomy. These are exactly what I was looking for. I've never been to a trade show, but I really can't imagine any other semi-closed cans being noticeably better than these wooden beauties.

Jan 31, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #747 of 1,326
Argon T50RP Mk3 vs Argon T60RP vs AKG K702 for positional accuracy in competitive fps gaming?

I own k702 but i can't tell VERTICAL positioning in BF1 (upper and lower floors). Can i achieve that with a modded fostex?

Jan 31, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #748 of 1,326
Argon T50RP Mk3 vs Argon T60RP vs AKG K702 for positional accuracy in competitive fps gaming?

I own k702 but i can't tell VERTICAL positioning in BF1 (upper and lower floors). Can i achieve that with a modded fostex?
Just judging on vertical positioning get the Monoprice m570 instead. Intimate soundstage but one of the best at positional audio that I’ve tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back