Modern Balanced Tube Amp Build
Feb 28, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #181 of 189
Anyways SonicTrance can you post the specific details of the "Oblivion" as compared to the other versions you have planned?
I have two versions planned:

Oblivion: SE input stage (RCA input) and balanced LTP output stage
Citadel: LTP input stage (XLR input) and LTP output stage.

The main difference is the input stage. Both amps will have regulated B+ and B-, gyrator plate loads, CCS tails (Oblivion only in output stage as input stage use grid bias)
Citadel will rule out any “imperfections” the SE input stage brings. Those “imperfections” may not be bad though, that’s up to the listener and personal preference. Citadel will sound cleaner than Oblivion.

Both amps will have optional speaker outputs.

Dec 26, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #182 of 189
Anybody bite on the DIY front?

I've got a few builds planned, I'll document them here at some point.

The circuit is not THAT difficult to set up. If you use the exact same notes as somebody else, it's very straightforward. If you want to use some other tubes, there's some extra steps.

Dec 26, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #183 of 189

The circuit is not THAT difficult to set up. If you use the exact same notes as somebody else, it's very straightforward. If you want to use some other tubes, there's some extra steps.
I was about to start ordering the parts but then my company decided to move me from LA to their Canadian office.... and i never really got the chance to setup my my workshop here :X

Dec 28, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #184 of 189

Interested to hear when you do that.

I did talk about it with Maxx a while back, then he got his Oblivion and I think he is happy now that he doesn't have to build. Then I got my LD back working again and was happy with it. Personally I would like to give it a try at some point, not now though. I would not be totally confident without help, especially of theory, and time and money are a factor atm, as always!

Edit: Money tends to go on the house and car, and time on playing my Stratocaster which I'm just getting back into after a long lay off... you know how it is!

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #185 of 189
If and when I do decide to go ahead and do this I would probably do it one module at a time, v e r y s l o w l y...., nice and easy.

This is intriguing me.

Dec 29, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #186 of 189
Just been re-reading the Oblivion review thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/oblivion-ultrasonic-studios.902926/page-5 and the picture of Sonic's latest version of Oblivion, especially the internals on page 5 looks doable, it is so neat and tidy. I just might be able to copy that... sometime...
:).

Edit: It actually doesn't look THAT complicated…. I might come to regret saying that...

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #187 of 189
Each module when broken down is very simple. Like making one gyrator module, it's just a FET with a couple resistors and a cap. That's all.

A CCS module is not that much more complicated. The 3D nature of the layouts makes it look messier than it is, when you actually make it yourself.

Most of the circuit is just repetition, lots of the same module over and over again. The end result has a lot of wire, but it's not hard to make.

I'm telling you, the amp you'll love the most, is the one you made for yourself.

Dec 30, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #188 of 189
Each module when broken down is very simple. Like making one gyrator module, it's just a FET with a couple resistors and a cap. That's all.

A CCS module is not that much more complicated. The 3D nature of the layouts makes it look messier than it is, when you actually make it yourself.

Most of the circuit is just repetition, lots of the same module over and over again. The end result has a lot of wire, but it's not hard to make.

I'm telling you, the amp you'll love the most, is the one you made for yourself.

Yes right! That would be absolutely fine. The CCS that I did for the LD was not a problem. TBH I'm not interested in the theory, apart from general principles, so if it's an assembly job I would be happy with that.

It is tempting, I will look again at this sometime in the coming year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back