Modding the Sennheiser pc350 headset
Aug 15, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #241 of 508
I just bought a pair of 350's mostly for playing FPS on XBL (Halo Reach in a month). I will be going to MLG tournaments and LANs, so i figured def get a closed ear headset for noise cancellation. Right away the 350's stock pleather ear pads were uncomfortable to me, and i didn't like how i felt the "under water feeling" from the closed ear. I want to at the very least swap the ear pads for HD555 velour ones. Also, possibly drilling maybe one small hole for more bass and slightly less of a closed ear feeling. Has anybody only swapped the ear pads and noticed less of a closed feeling, maybe because the velour 555 pads are less dense?? If i can get the more comfort and a little bit more open feeling by just replacing the pads, maybe that's all i will do. I don't really trust my self opening them up and taking a drill to them anyway..i'd appreciate any insight, thanks..

Aug 15, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #242 of 508

Quote:
I just bought a pair of 350's mostly for playing FPS on XBL (Halo Reach in a month). I will be going to MLG tournaments and LANs, so i figured def get a closed ear headset for noise cancellation. Right away the 350's stock pleather ear pads were uncomfortable to me, and i didn't like how i felt the "under water feeling" from the closed ear. I want to at the very least swap the ear pads for HD555 velour ones. Also, possibly drilling maybe one small hole for more bass and slightly less of a closed ear feeling. Has anybody only swapped the ear pads and noticed less of a closed feeling, maybe because the velour 555 pads are less dense?? If i can get the more comfort and a little bit more open feeling by just replacing the pads, maybe that's all i will do. I don't really trust my self opening them up and taking a drill to them anyway..i'd appreciate any insight, thanks..

Quote:
Guys I was wondering if someone could help me out. I'm not very good or experienced with with Headsets and I don't know a whole lot about them accept that I have Astro A40's and that I hate them. My friend Gunfreak has the Sennheiser PC350 headset and I tried it out and personally I like it more in terms of comfort, Lightweight, Durability, and sound but I did notice that the bass was recognizably different/lower. I have been wondering what is the best way for me to mod my PC350's when I get them? Like where should I drill the holes, how many should I drill, and how big? Not trying to ask alot but I don't want to screw up cause if I do then I'll break my PC350's and be out of all that money and be stuck with Astro A40's again lolz. 

Hi,

I done a small mod with a 2 mm hole at the top and some padding similar this mod version:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/406187/modding-the-sennheiser-pc350-headset/135#post_6348990

Its from the user Porter. Really easy, just take it slow and easy. I haven't got different pads yet, but I would suggest that you do the mod first. But do a burn in period for about 50-100 Hours. Start small like I did. I'm satisfied with the result.

Aug 15, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #243 of 508
If you're wanting bass, the 555 pads won't do it for you on the PC350's. Check out the PXC 450 pads, I use them on my pair of PC350's and couldn't be happier with the comfort/bass response.

Aug 15, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #245 of 508

Quote:
I read in this thread that some are suggesting the PC350's use the same drivers as the HD595's, is this correct?

Yes, this is correct, it actually was brought into light by a Sennheiser representative.

Aug 16, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #246 of 508

Quote:
If you're wanting bass, the 555 pads won't do it for you on the PC350's. Check out the PXC 450 pads, I use them on my pair of PC350's and couldn't be happier with the comfort/bass response.

I checked it out and seen that the PXC 450 pads are leather.  Even though they look like a more comfortable leather than the stock PC350 pad, i allows prefer a velour ear pad.  I plan on using the PC350 almost a 100% for console gaming with the Astro Mixamp. So i'm gonna put the HD555 pads on and then break them in (they are still brand new), and then see how they sound after several hours of use. I have a pair of HD595's and i can wear them forever they are so comfy. So i hope the swapping of the pads on the 350's makes it so i can game for hours and barely notice they are on my head..

Aug 17, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #247 of 508
I called SennheiserUSA and they gave me they part # for the HD555 ear pad (094738). I looked everywhere online even with the part # i can't find a place in the US that sells them. If anybody can find them and link me thatd be really cool. I guess my last option is to order them over the phone from SennUSA, but i wanted to get them online if possible. The few places i did find online were all in the UK, so if someone could help me out i'd appreciate it.

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #248 of 508
I know what you mean man. I own the pc350 and the hd595 I also looked everywhere and could not find any sellers for this item except SennUSA but it's alright I guess. I still have the orig pads on my pc350 as they are my LAN headset only. but I did try the pc350 with the 555/595 pads and they are great. Noisecancelling is not as good BUT you loose the underwater feeling with the leather pads

Aug 17, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #249 of 508
Greetings from Slovenia everyone!

Today was a sad day as my beloved PC350s stopped working. They fell on the floor and I thought 'no big deal, I dropped them many times before'. Well, when I returned to the computer about 10 minutes later to listen to some music they were just silent. No hissing, buzzing, not a sound. I immediately opened them to check if any of the little cables got torn off but everything seemed in perfect order. I suspect that the volume control is the one to blame but I'm not an expert so I'm turning to the experts here to try and fix this problem as these headphones were far from cheap.

Thanks,

Sam.

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #250 of 508
Quote:
Did the mod last night. The sonic results are very good so far!...........

Hi Mr.Porter

I was wondering if you might have the time or if you would desire to make a "how to video" of your Sennheiser pc350 modding and post it on YouTube. It would surely help every pc350 user, hence all videos does when doing this kind of modding.

Also I would greatly appreciate it and I'm sure the rest would if you did a video about it since there are none of it on YouTube.

Registered just to post this. 

/k4hn

Aug 18, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #251 of 508
Quote:
Greetings from Slovenia everyone!

Today was a sad day as my beloved PC350s stopped working. They fell on the floor and I thought 'no big deal, I dropped them many times before'. Well, when I returned to the computer about 10 minutes later to listen to some music they were just silent. No hissing, buzzing, not a sound. I immediately opened them to check if any of the little cables got torn off but everything seemed in perfect order. I suspect that the volume control is the one to blame but I'm not an expert so I'm turning to the experts here to try and fix this problem as these headphones were far from cheap.

Thanks,

Sam.

The volume control does seem to be overly fragile. My friend's set has popping in the output from the mic and left channel issues if the in-line controller moves at all and my set just recently picked up a volume issue as well. Seeing as this set is marketed for using at LAN parties it's unfortunate that Sennheiser didn't make the controller more rugged for the journey.

Aug 18, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #252 of 508

Quote:
Hi Mr.Porter

I was wondering if you might have the time or if you would desire to make a "how to video" of your Sennheiser pc350 modding and post it on YouTube. It would surely help every pc350 user, hence all videos does when doing this kind of modding.

Also I would greatly appreciate it and I'm sure the rest would if you did a video about it since there are none of it on YouTube.

Registered just to post this. 

/k4hn

Hi,

You don't have to mod it man. just make sure you give it time breaking them in. The mod gives it more bass BUT it muffles the mids. when playing call off the duty the sounds is more bassy BUT again the voice of the man telling you "the enemy is capping a" or "when it tells you your the last one standing" etc...is muffled.

Aug 18, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #253 of 508

Quote:

Hi,

You don't have to mod it man. just make sure you give it time breaking them in. The mod gives it more bass BUT it muffles the mids. when playing call off the duty the sounds is more bassy BUT again the voice of the man telling you "the enemy is capping a" or "when it tells you your the last one standing" etc...is muffled.

You're doing it wrong
tongue.gif

No muffling here, just need to experiment with the amount of holes/amount of wool.

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #254 of 508

Quote:
You're doing it wrong
tongue.gif

No muffling here, just need to experiment with the amount of holes/amount of wool.

ic what you are saying. well i guess to some modding is the answer they are looking for but for me my pc350 is perfect. To all that does the hero mod good luck and I hope you guys find the balance you are looking for.

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #255 of 508

Quote:
You're doing it wrong
tongue.gif

ic what you are saying. well i guess to some modding is the answer they are looking for but for me my pc350 is perfect. To all that does the hero mod good luck and I hope you guys find the balance you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back