Modding the Sennheiser pc350 headset
Jun 17, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #226 of 508

Quote:
Sure you can order parts for any Sennheiser product as far as I know, check if your local Sennheiser-selling shops can help you out with repairs/ordering new parts.
I've gotta say, you've done a bad job at keeping your headset safe, I mean, they can only be about two years old, treat them better man, they deserve it, they're Senns.
wink_face.gif

Oh most definately i've tried, just the situation of living I was in when i first got them. That and the cord tends to latch to my cargo pants and try to come with me when i get up -.-. But yeah I want to refurb them, how much you think repairs like that would really cost me? Think it's worth doing?

Jun 17, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #227 of 508

Quote:

Oh most definately i've tried, just the situation of living I was in when i first got them. That and the cord tends to latch to my cargo pants and try to come with me when i get up -.-. But yeah I want to refurb them, how much you think repairs like that would really cost me? Think it's worth doing?

That you have to really find out yourself, prices on the repair job depend on what kind of damage there actually is, and who's gonna fix 'em. The pleather pads aren't that expensive, probably around 20eur. It's a so-and-so when it comes to if it's worth doing, find an awesome deal and you'll probably have a good shot at getting a new headset for the price of the pads+parts+repairs. At least I'm afraid so.

Jun 18, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #228 of 508
Does anyone know how the PC350 sound with the HD555 ear cushions?

Jun 18, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #229 of 508
You can get new pads, like Jaawa said, for $40ish USD, and the cable + plugs shouldn't cost more than $40, if you do the soldering yourself. You can actually get a new PC350 for $50 some places, so It might be cheaper to buy a new pair. Even if it's fake, you can still just swap your old drivers into the new housings.

Jun 21, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #230 of 508
Ok so i'll see about refurbing them.

but i don't plan to keep these i plan to give them to a friend of mine, prolly off topic here, but I just got the ATH-AD700's and was wondering do i need an amp? Was thinking a E5 but i have a Auzentech X-Fi Forte with a amp built in. Also what would be a good desk mic?

Jun 30, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #232 of 508

Quote:
Ok so i'll see about refurbing them.

but i don't plan to keep these i plan to give them to a friend of mine, prolly off topic here, but I just got the ATH-AD700's and was wondering do i need an amp? Was thinking a E5 but i have a Auzentech X-Fi Forte with a amp built in. Also what would be a good desk mic?

At, 38ohm you don't need to get an amp  for the AD700 BUT an amp will def. boost these mic as to any mic. E5 is only for 20 dollars.

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #233 of 508
Just had to register to this site to give my praise to the creator of the Hero Mod.

I was in a similar situation as many gamers/ husbands
L3000.gif

Long Story:
Lots of gaming and music/movies late at night and a sound sensitive wife.
Two and a half years ago I got the Steelseries 5H v2. I got them after read a lot of review and listening to what was available here in Sweden. They where great for gaming but the quality of the plastic and the headband wasn't that great. The sound was in my non-headphone-geeky ears good but with a lack of bass. But they had a big downside and that was that they are an open design, leaking a lot of sound out from the cans. So my wife often complained that I was playing too loud.
frown.gif

Well, the 5H had started to develop a nasty habit as well, the volume control started to brake with the result that I was loosing the sound from the left cup. I opened the control pod and tried to fix it but I soon found that the problem also was in the cable somewhere. grrrr

Started to look for alternatives with the following criterias:

Over the ear
Closed
Good microphone
Great comfort
Good sound

I didn't find much until I started to look for more expensive headsets.

So I found the PC350 and got them, the most expensive headgear I bought by far (€130)
Tried them in the store I and they sounded similar to the 5H.

Ran home and unpacked them. I had read all of the reviews including the modding of the PC350:s

Used them for 24 hours w/o mod.

The sound unmodded?

Crisp high freq.
Good med freq.
Precise bass but very low volume.
Didn't help messing with the tone controls.
The soundstage was really good for gaming but I felt a "pressure" almost like the sound
compressed inside the cans. I even tried my Dolby Headphone amp (creative) and it was better but still a "small" sound with no kick in the bass.

To make sure that I didn't had a output issue I ran them both with my cheap USB soundcard and my brand new Denon 1611eu(591us)

The sound improved a little with the Denon but still not worth the money if I got them only for the sound. On the other hand the microphone was fantastic! Clear sound, no hissing and great damping.

So I took the plunge and modded my new (48 hours old) headphones. Really scary.
I used the heat version and poked 2 mm hole on top of the cans. Reassembled them and listen... wow bass and more and more and the added "airiness". A much larger sound stage. But there was a down side as well. Since I'm not a "Basshead" I was getting too much bass with less precision. Ok, open them again and added a bit of damping.

Testing again...

Yes, this is how I want them!
atsmile.gif

Thanks again for the mod!

I've been revisiting a lot of music and the sound is amazing. There is only one more thing to fix, replacing the ear cushions with something that will have a similar damping but not this fake leather. I even considering the "sockmod".

Aug 8, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #234 of 508
Hi everybody, I enjoyed with modded PC 350 for about 6 months and today all of a sudden right can just went silent. Checked everything, wires, soldering etc look fine. Looks like the speaker itself got broken. This the first time I have such trouble with Sennheiser (and hope the last one). Since I've already lost official guarantee I'm going to open the smaller glued can containing the speaker itself.

Did anybody try to do this before? I wonder if this smaller can is comparatively easy to dismantle and put together after?

P.S. The worst thing is that in my country (Ukraine) there is no any tech service authorized by Sennheiser nearby, so if speaker got short circuit or something I'll have to buy a new one again, cause I love this headset, and don't have  any idea  where to get spare speaker if  I have to:)

Aug 8, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #235 of 508
post pics and say how you got it open please.
worst case is you put drivers from another headphone in. i would put in jvc or koss drivers for best performance/cost advantage

Aug 8, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #236 of 508

Quote:
post pics and say how you got it open please.
worst case is you put drivers from another headphone in. i would put in jvc or koss drivers for best performance/cost advantage

Unfortunately I haven't done it yet. This is basically why I asked if anyone tried that before. From what I see inner is glued pretty strong, so I guess there is no easy way, but to remove it forcefully with sharp knife or anything like that trying not to damage the driver.  I want to have a look at it, there is still a chance it cab be revived.

Aug 9, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #237 of 508
Ok, today I finally managed to get into the inner can of my PC350 to see if I can fix it myself.  As far I can see manufacturer did not provide a possibility to replace a driver itself, so most likely inner can should be replaced only. Сover is glued pretty well and there is no any way to remove it gently so upon giving up on some tools I just used a fretsaw and separated the cover. 

Inside driver looks really nice and again lots of glue around, I guess for keeping  closed design and headset's noise reducing capabilities. Sennheiser definitely does not save money on materials as overall build quality is really impressive, everything is so solid so I had to apply some force to pull the driver out.

Finally I'm holding the driver in my hands but to my pity patient is rather dead. Really, I felt like an surgeon standing over the dead patient's body. It seems that there is a problem with the inner wire coil or wire attached to membrane has just come off, but anyways it cannot be checked without damaging the membrane.

So this is my sad story. I definitely won't be blaming Sennheiser as I loved PC350 and always buy headphones from this company and believe it's just unhappy accident.  Today I talked to a seller representative and he said they would discuss it with Sennheiser  and probably  get me a spare driver part. If they fail then this is high time to order a new pair of PC350 and proceed with Heromod:wink:

Below you can see the results of post-mortem examination:

Aug 10, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #238 of 508
This is terrible......I have never seen such horrific pics. lol. I am sorry that this happened to you man. I wish everything works out man. Are you using your pc350 for gaming? music? or both?

Aug 10, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #239 of 508
Thanks for compassion)) For both, although I mostly listen to music on my portable rig (cowon d2 + senn ie8), or through av receiver. Until everything is fixed I have to play bad company 2 with monitor's in-built speakers, this is terrible:)  

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #240 of 508
Guys I was wondering if someone could help me out. I'm not very good or experienced with with Headsets and I don't know a whole lot about them accept that I have Astro A40's and that I hate them. My friend Gunfreak has the Sennheiser PC350 headset and I tried it out and personally I like it more in terms of comfort, Lightweight, Durability, and sound but I did notice that the bass was recognizably different/lower. I have been wondering what is the best way for me to mod my PC350's when I get them? Like where should I drill the holes, how many should I drill, and how big? Not trying to ask alot but I don't want to screw up cause if I do then I'll break my PC350's and be out of all that money and be stuck with Astro A40's again lolz. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back