Mixing with headphones - hard choice?
May 24, 2011 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

spinn3r

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone

I do realize that you shouldn't mix with headphones, but I'm moving out of my current location, and I will be without my gear for a couple of months, and I do need some really good headphones without busting up my bank account.

After searching on this forum (great stuff around here), I have narrowed it down (or so I think hehe):

AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-M50S

AKG K-271 MKII Studio

The reason I am asking for your help is that I have never used headphones to mix, I just check how my mix translates to my Technics RP-DH1200, I use them for djing only, they are nowhere near a proper studio monitor, but they have lot's of bass and that is why I use them to dj :wink: they are useless when mixing (on the studio, that is)!

Any opinions are very, very welcome. I mainly produce house music, on the deep side.

Thank you for your attention

May 24, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #2 of 7
Read this:- http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan07/articles/mixingheadphones.htm "Mixing on Headphones"  from Sound On Sound magazine.

I use the Sennheiser HD 800 for mixing and editing, via a Grace m902b (will probably upgrade to the m903 as the USB is much much better than the 902).

At the mid level there are really only 3 to consider.  On recording forums these three always seem to come out on top and seem to be about equal in popularity:-

Sennheiser HD 650
Sennheiser HD 600
AKG K 701

They are all slightly different and some prefer one over the others - but, on average, they seem to have an equal number of adherents.

I hope this helps.

May 24, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #5 of 7
another vote for HD-25's

I don't think HD650's are suitable for mixing

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #6 of 7
Thank you, everyone, for your contributions :)

After quite a few hours of reading on the web and speaking with my friends, i decided to buy the KRK KNS 8400 headphones. I've just received them, and, man, these guys are crystal clear, and pretty neutral. As of now the higher frequencies are a bit upfront, but the bass is there, and it goes lowwwwwww :) Right now they sound like my B&W 602 S3, with the ruffness in the upper department.

I'm gonna let these babies burn in. But the bass is there, no problems in that department, and these guys sound really good. High def, like a proper studio monitor :wink: no distortion even at high volume. And everyone says they will sound better after the burn in, so, i'm good to go, a lot of mixing on the way :)

Comfort wise... well, they are great, very light, my ears are enjoying :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back