Mission: Replace the HiFiMAN ear pads with other brand ear pads
Jul 6, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #346 of 756
Hey guys, new to the thread.

I was curious...is there a way to buy the older Hifiman earpads? My HE-5LE has the old style of velour earpads, and I find they actually sound better than the newer velours to my ears. But mine are falling apart, so I was hoping to get a more intact pair.

Thanks!

Jul 6, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #347 of 756
You could post a wanted classified. They are out of production though. I have a single that you can have. 
size]

Jul 6, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #350 of 756
Jul 7, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #351 of 756
Recently got my hands on some 5E-LE's. Looking forward to getting them, but jumped ahead and doing research for mods and other options to help kill time. Anyway, with all this talk of using HM5 pads and the semi-positive experience some are having, I thought I'd share something I found to add to the pad options.

NVX phones are made in the same factory as HM5's, so in short. Clones. In theory these pads should be able to fit also if the HM5 pads do. These are angled and apparently real leather as well. For $25 bucks, could be a possible option! Also regular available as well.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_66627_NVX-XRE100A.html <----where I found it.

Jul 7, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #353 of 756
The audeze vegan angled pads are also in the same price range as the lawton audio's...Just a thought. I think people said it was a tad bass light?

Yeah they said that. It's also above my pad budget : D

Recently got my hands on some 5E-LE's. Looking forward to getting them, but jumped ahead and doing research for mods and other options to help kill time. Anyway, with all this talk of using HM5 pads and the semi-positive experience some are having, I thought I'd share something I found to add to the pad options.

NVX phones are made in the same factory as HM5's, so in short. Clones. In theory these pads should be able to fit also if the HM5 pads do. These are angled and apparently real leather as well. For $25 bucks, could be a possible option! Also regular available as wellD

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_66627_NVX-XRE100A.html <----where I found it.

The QC might as well be the same though.

If anyone is willing to try either let us definitely know of course.

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #356 of 756
Quote:
Anyone ever thought of using the AKG 702 velour pads? Round like those on these phones. Also they are angled. Something obvious I'm missing here?

Not sure if using angled pads with non-angled drivers... By all means give it a try if you want. There are plenty of possibilities out there so every alternative pad found is great.

Jul 13, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #359 of 756
I've always gotten the impression it improves soundstage a bit. Some times people say other things as well, but stage seems to always come up. More than anything though, I've got a narrow head, so angled pads make phones WAAAY more comfortable for me. lol

Jul 13, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #360 of 756
Quote:

Any angled pads or the AKG ones in particular? You don't think more distance between the ear and the speaker will result in any "change in" perceived frequency response?

EDIT: Seems I can't complete a sent.....

The distance will have some change, however the angled pads weren't for me. I had the alpha pads, other than having awfully bloated unclear bass And mids, there was absolutely no advantage in soundstage or imaging.
However, I also owned the J$ pads, they are also fairly deep, but they are not angled. They had the best imaging and seperation and clarity of all the pads and mods I used. So angled is a bit of a gimmick for these headphones I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back