Mission: Replace the HiFiMAN ear pads with other brand ear pads
Jun 30, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #332 of 756
Quote:

I was thinking of using the Alphas as a starting point and modding like what Jerg did...maybe later. Still a bit exy.

I'll be trying the Jergpad mod pads soon also. 

Contact Modulor if you are interested in getting pre-made jergpads, he's making a batch soon AFAIK.

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #336 of 756
Heads up for anyone who finds the HM5 pads (or any other) too soft (causing his/her ears to touch the driver).
Sticking a foam ring (found in the pleather Hifiman pads, requiring to remove the transparent middle mesh, which I would recommend to replace with a thinner one anyway) inside the pad, before putting it on the Hifiman plastic rings.
Giver the pad more shape, causing it to better retain it.
You lose some of the leather softness but gain more depth/ shape.
Also contrary to Jergs findings the foam rings (in this instance at least) do not seem to hinder the SQ in any way.

Jul 1, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #338 of 756
Quote:
Heads up for anyone who finds the HM5 pads (or any other) too soft (causing his/her ears to touch the driver).
Sticking a foam ring (found in the pleather Hifiman pads, requiring to remove the transparent middle mesh, which I would recommend to replace with a thinner one anyway) inside the pad, before putting it on the Hifiman plastic rings.
Giver the pad more shape, causing it to better retain it.
You lose some of the leather softness but gain more depth/ shape.
Also contrary to Jergs findings the foam rings (in this instance at least) do not seem to hinder the SQ in any way.

My observations were only with regards to the HFM pleather pads, and the change in sound signature with the insert foam ring seems to be due to the increase in distance from the drivers to the ears, which was significant with the HFM pleathers being so shallow to start with. The HM5 pads are much thicker so the effect might be non-existent.

Jul 1, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #339 of 756
I think that there may be substantial difference in quality, size and shape among these pads. Mine are simply not big enough to cover the cups on the he4. Not even close really. The comfort is very nice but the pads are much to easy to compress and put the driver too close to the ear. I'm not able to get the foam ring to fit in my pair. 
size]

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #340 of 756
It would seem so, I guess I was lucky and got a relatively similar batch of pads...
They are not the same in diameter but at least the size is right.

Jul 2, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #341 of 756
I gave the hm5 pads the royal treatment last night. Here is what I did:

1. Because I thought that I might have cut too much of the ring originally, I sacrificed another pair of plastic rings and cut them to spec, only taking about 2mm off.

2. Then I about 1.5 inches from the total length of the inner foam ring taken from one of the pleathers so that it would fit underneath the hm5 pad.

3. But the foam ring still protruded too far past the inner diameter of the new pad, so I then cut about 1/8 inch from the inner edge of the foam pad.

This process "stretched" the hm5 pad a little bit and didn't look quite so small sitting on the he4 cups. The comfort...still supreme. The pads were a bit stiffer but still very comfortable. Unfortunately after several listening sessions last night, the conclusion is clear. The hm5 pad does NO favors for the he4 on sound quality. The bass is reduced substantially...mostly impact and weight. Mids are moved back a few rows and the treble extension is reduced (which I did find to be a good thing with the he4).

Sorry but these just don't work for me.

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #342 of 756
Quote:
I gave the hm5 pads the royal treatment last night. Here is what I did:

1. Because I thought that I might have cut too much of the ring originally, I sacrificed another pair of plastic rings and cut them to spec, only taking about 2mm off.

2. Then I about 1.5 inches from the total length of the inner foam ring taken from one of the pleathers so that it would fit underneath the hm5 pad.

3. But the foam ring still protruded too far past the inner diameter of the new pad, so I then cut about 1/8 inch from the inner edge of the foam pad.

This process "stretched" the hm5 pad a little bit and didn't look quite so small sitting on the he4 cups. The comfort...still supreme. The pads were a bit stiffer but still very comfortable. Unfortunately after several listening sessions last night, the conclusion is clear. The hm5 pad does NO favors for the he4 on sound quality. The bass is reduced substantially...mostly impact and weight. Mids are moved back a few rows and the treble extension is reduced (which I did find to be a good thing with the he4).

Sorry but these just don't work for me.

Thats fine. I guess I was just really lucky with the pads. I wonder how is tthat that your sound differently than mine. Might be that they are smaller or just different. I certainly dont perceive any of that - Midrange seems about the same as with the velours/modded pleathers, bass isa bit stronger than with the other pads IMO, treble is slightly reduced but not by much.
Strange
confused_face_2.gif

Good luck anyway. Let us know about the other pads 
beerchug.gif

Jul 6, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #343 of 756
Hi,

I really need a replacement now... the leather type have given way on my he500.
the angled pad are they still available to purchase???
   off the shelf no modification..

rgds

Jul 6, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #345 of 756
Quote:
Hi,

I really need a replacement now... the leather type have given way on my he500.
the angled pad are they still available to purchase???
   off the shelf no modification..

rgds

Which angled pads? Denons? Yes these are. The only pad that is not available anymore is the JMoney

Users who are viewing this thread

Back