Mission: Replace the HiFiMAN ear pads with other brand ear pads
Jun 25, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #301 of 756
IMO, comparing the DT990 to velours, I think the velours have better bass and a more forward midrange. 
The DT990 pads are much more comfortable.   

I ordered the HM5's last week- cant beat the price.
Will post when received.

Jun 26, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #302 of 756
Quote:
Here are some of my initial impressions:

[size=small]"Just did some more listening. Alpha pads seem to make the headphones sound more spacious compared to the stock velours and pleathers. Instruments aren't more separated but it sounds like the music is being played in a larger room. Treble seems to be a bit more pronounced with the alpha pads vs pleathers. I can't really tell much of a difference with the mids between the alpha pads and pleathers. I still think the bass comes through more with the alpha pads compared to the pleathers."[/size]

Sorry about the brief snipped, I'm not all that confident yet in how to describe what I'm hearing. I'll write something a bit more detailed after I've had a bit more time with these.

Sounds a lot like the HM5 pads to me... except there is a huge price gap between the two :)

Hope you will all be pleasantly surprised folks :)

Jun 27, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #303 of 756

HM5's not recommended.

I just received them in... the first thing I noticed, quality control is terrible.  The 2 are not the same size, one is almost 1/4" bigger in circumference than the other.
Also, leather/mesh material is not the same between 2.  These are not from the same lot or build.
Lastly, no way the HM5 pads are going to fit on the Hifiman plastic mounting rings without major modification to both parts.  I tried.  I had extra rings, so I trimmed one, but then the HM5 covered the Hifi clips needed to install to headphone.  You would have to trim the HM5 plastic too. 

This is not a worthwhile mod imo.

ps- Conquerator2, you must have received bigger pads than me.

Jun 27, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #304 of 756
Quote:

HM5's not recommended.

I just received them in... the first thing I noticed, quality control is terrible.  The 2 are not the same size, one is almost 1/4 bigger in circumference than the other.
Also, leather/mesh material is not the same between 2.  These are not from the same lot or build.
Lastly, no way the HM5 pads are going to fit on the Hifiman plastic mounting rings without major modification to both parts.  I tried.  I had extra rings, so I trimmed one, but then the HM5 covered the Hifi clips needed to install to headphone.  You would have to trim the HM5 plastic too.  Theres not much there to begin with. 

This is not a worthwhile mod imo.

ps- Conquerator2, you must have received bigger pads than me.

Ok, two things.
First, my two cups are not the same size, either but it does not affect the sound or (my personal) comfort in any way.
Second, I have trimmed my rings and I did post that it is probably necessary to do so...
ALSO, they can be easily stretched a lot more than your pictures tell, so only minor trimming is required,
Thank you for posting.

Here are some more pics (I could have posted them sooner... but nobody asked for them)

The pads are clearly not the same but it did not matter that much to me, so I didnt find it all that interesting

Left - HM5 pad, right - original HFman pad
See how small a difference it is, when the pad is stretched?

The leather is simply bent under the pads, no problem

This is the smaller pad.... still big enough IMO..

I would still recommend them...
All the points you posted are valid but I think you should still give them a chance...

Kindest regards sir

EDIT-Its not like the HFM velours and pleathers are perfect either... Here you are paying 17 bucks for a pair of real leather pads... Go beat that. Its not like the Alpha pads, although 60 bucks are much different.... save for the QC, hopefully.

Jun 27, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #305 of 756
Quote:
Ok, two things.
First, my two cups are not the same size, either but it does not affect the sound or (my personal) comfort in any way.
Second, I have trimmed my rings and I did post that it is probably necessary to do so...
ALSO, they can be easily stretched a lot more than your pictures tell, so only minor trimming is required,
Thank you for posting.

Here are some more pics (I could have posted them sooner... but nobody asked for them)

The pads are clearly not the same but it did not matter that much to me, so I didnt find it all that interesting

Left - HM5 pad, right - original HFman pad
See how small a difference it is, when the pad is stretched?

The leather is simply bent under the pads, no problem

This is the smaller pad.... still big enough IMO..

I would still recommend them...
All the points you posted are valid but I think you should still give them a chance...

Kindest regards sir

EDIT-Its not like the HFM velours and pleathers are perfect either... Here you are paying 17 bucks for a pair of real leather pads... Go beat that. Its not like the Alpha pads, although 60 bucks are much different.... save for the QC, hopefully.

Are you sure the HM5 pads are real leather?

Jun 27, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #306 of 756
Quote:
Are you sure the HM5 pads are real leather?

Either that or really good replicas.
Apart from the HFM pleathers
- They are much softer/deforms easier
- Feel like real leather to the touch
- Have the leather properties (a bit warm and sticky when sweating)

I cant be sure of course but I can definitely say, even if these were fake, they feel a lot like the real things.

The pads seem to be really well made altogether (the stretching was very easy and they adopted fast tot he slightly trimmed rings) apart from the different diameter hole size of course (which is not a big deal to me. And I have really big ears)

Also, its not like ordering a second pair would hurt... I will soon as a matter of fact, who knows maybe I get two different diameters again and get 2 matched pairs :D
If not then... I dont really care :p

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #307 of 756

Ok, took a second look/try at the HM5 pads.  I made one side work taking hints from Conquerator2.

Pictures shows HM5 pad and Hifiman pleather pads installed.  If you like your ear pads smaller than the cans themselves, the HM5's are for you!

Like I said earlier, my pads must be smaller than Conquerator2's. 

The actual leather material feels nice, but quality control pertaining to size and material consistency is lacking.  But hey, what do you expect for $17.00?

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #308 of 756
Hmmm...my pads are due today. 
popcorn.gif

Will be interesting to see if they match yours in size. 

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #309 of 756
Quote:

Ok, took a second look/try at the HM5 pads.  I made one side work taking hints from Conquerator2.

Pictures shows HM5 pad and Hifiman pleather pads installed.  If you like your ear pads smaller than the cans themselves, the HM5's are for you!

Like I said earlier, my pads must be smaller than Conquerator2's. 

The actual leather material feels nice, but quality control pertaining to size and material consistency is lacking.  But hey, what do you expect for $17.00?

They look so much like the J$s. Do they have damping holes?

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #310 of 756
No damping holes.

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #312 of 756
Okay, no sign of the hm5 pads today. They tracked to New York on Monday and then just vanished. I'm starting to think that they may not show. 
size]

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #313 of 756
It's now the 12th day and no pads from mp4nation. I realize that it was a purchase of less than $20, but it was not my plan to "give" mp4nation $20. Greatly disappointed and this will be my last purchase from them. Oh well, live and learn. I've learned my lesson from this company. 

Sent them an email two days ago asking about the pads. No response. 
size]

Jun 29, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #314 of 756
Quote:
It's now the 12th day and no pads from mp4nation. I realize that it was a purchase of less than $20, but it was not my plan to "give" mp4nation $20. Greatly disappointed and this will be my last purchase from them. Oh well, live and learn. I've learned my lesson from this company. 

Sent them an email two days ago asking about the pads. No response. 
size]

I'm pretty sure you're able to let them send you another pair. Most online stores are very afraid of bad publicity. But yeah, pretty bad of them to not respond to you.

Jun 30, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #315 of 756
Then, they should sound very comparable to the alpha pads. The alpha pads were very bassy.

Not Very Bassy Imo.
Just slightly Moré Thán thé stock velours slightly less than pleathers.
I am sorry you are having trouble with the delivery or pads

@CorvetteGarage
Did you at least try them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back