Mission: Replace the HiFiMAN ear pads with other brand ear pads
Feb 13, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #676 of 756
Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #677 of 756
Mar 21, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #678 of 756
I have the Sundara. The stock pads look like an updated, more premium revision of the FocusPads (instead of velor, the inner face is cloth mesh that's also perforated). However, the ear cavities are too small and hurt my ears.

Has anyone tried the Brainwavz XL hybrids / sheepskins?

Mar 22, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #679 of 756
I have the Sundara. The stock pads look like an updated, more premium revision of the FocusPads (instead of velor, the inner face is cloth mesh that's also perforated). However, the ear cavities are too small and hurt my ears.

Has anyone tried the Brainwavz XL hybrids / sheepskins?

Yup. I tried the sheepskin and the pleather but not hybrids. They both tame the treble and bump up the mid bass. I MUCH prefer the sheepskin because they aren't so prone to hot sweaty-ness. These sheepskins appear to be my final destination (or at least a nice resting place?) on the hifiman pad rolling journey.

If you want sub bass, slightly lift them off your head. I use hair bands between the fork and the cable connector to give it a slight lift. Quite the bass cannons if you want them to be.

This is for the newer he-400i with 2.5mm connectors BTW.

Mar 22, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #680 of 756
Yup. I tried the sheepskin and the pleather but not hybrids. They both tame the treble and bump up the mid bass.
Thanks for the information. I actually find the sound with the stock earpads to be just right, so here's to hoping the hybrids don't mess with the treble or mid bass.

Apr 7, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #681 of 756
So I've been thinking about getting new pads for my 400i and from what I've read throughout this thread the Ori pads might be up my ally. I've been using the HM5 hybrids (angled), and they've held up nicely for almost 2 years now...but that squeaking because of the pads rubbing against the ear cup clamps is really annoying. I was wondering what yall's recommendations would be in terms of material for the Ori pads? I read @Selfish Android review, where the Ori pads were highly recommended, but it wasn't stated what type he/she recommended. Just wanted to get some experiences compared to the hybrid hm5, which I've been satisfied with sound wise..maybe a little more sub bass though. Thanx

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #682 of 756
The hybrids are - as far as I have gathered - supposed to leak bass: The holes are for that purpose. In other words, if you buy a leather / protein leather (HM5) pad, you will have more sub bass. If the squeaking sound is coming from the clamps, it will most likely be the same though... Are you sure it's not from something else? If you put a piece of velour or other soft fabric between the clamp and pad, you might have solved to issue and can choose whatever pad you like most from a sonic perspective.

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #683 of 756
Brainwavz have now also round pads with an outer diameter of 100mm. That's the HiFiMan standard size on the older models like HE-6, HE-500 and - if I am not mistaken - also the HE-400 series. Note that the XL models are 110mm which is better suited for Audeze cans.

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/headphone-pads

Apr 8, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #684 of 756
Thanks for the reply @LarsHP I know that the squeaking is a result of the HM5 lip rubbing against the clamps, made worse by the fact that the clamps on the left side recently broke in two places so I've had to super glue them back together, further decreasing the tolerance between the clamp and ear pad lip. I'll definitely look into the new round hm5's. Will probably try the sheepskin ori pads. My buddy has a 3D printer so I might print new clamps that are a little more suited for oval pads.

Apr 8, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #685 of 756
Pulled the trigger, been a while since I last made an impulsive purchase :wink: Went with the ori lamb and ori lamp perf..will probably purchase the brainwavz at a later date..recently made balanced xlr cables using canare L-4E6S star quad and noticed that the 400i's are way more spacious compares to the xlr cables I purchased through HiFiman..I like the added soundstage, but they seem a bit "thin" or ressesed when it comes to bass now.

Apr 8, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #686 of 756
So I've been thinking about getting new pads for my 400i and from what I've read throughout this thread the Ori pads might be up my ally. I've been using the HM5 hybrids (angled), and they've held up nicely for almost 2 years now...but that squeaking because of the pads rubbing against the ear cup clamps is really annoying. I was wondering what yall's recommendations would be in terms of material for the Ori pads? I read @Selfish Android review, where the Ori pads were highly recommended, but it wasn't stated what type he/she recommended. Just wanted to get some experiences compared to the hybrid hm5, which I've been satisfied with sound wise..maybe a little more sub bass though. Thanx

When i posted my impressions the only material available was "lamb skin" i have no experience with the other materials so i can only recommend the lamb skin ones.

Jun 26, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #689 of 756
X-Post from the HE400i thread:
Are the Ori pads an improvement from these pads?
Yes, in my opinion the Ori pads are some of the very best you can get.
The Audeze pads are not made with memory foam - at least not those who came with my LCD-2 r2 and neither the vegan pads that I bought later.

Jun 28, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #690 of 756
Yesterday I threw the Brainwavz Round pleather pads on my HE4XX and I think the sound signature didn't change much from the focus pads. Maybe a slight elevation to bass/ low mids.
Also as a result the mids feel a bit further away. Though haven't A/B tested with focus pads yet. (getting pads off and on is a pain on Hifiman)

Not sure yet do I like the Brainwavz more than the Focus pads even on comfort level as I actually think the velour on the Focus pads is more comfortable than pleather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back