Mission: Replace the HiFiMAN ear pads with other brand ear pads
Jun 28, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #691 of 756
Yesterday I threw the Brainwavz Round pleather pads on my HE4XX and I think the sound signature didn't change much from the focus pads. Maybe a slight elevation to bass/ low mids.
Also as a result the mids feel a bit further away. Though haven't A/B tested with focus pads yet. (getting pads off and on is a pain on Hifiman)

Not sure yet do I like the Brainwavz more than the Focus pads even on comfort level as I actually think the velour on the Focus pads is more comfortable than pleather.
Did you seal the pads properly to the cups? If not, you loose some (sub) bass.

Jun 30, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #692 of 756
So my ZMF pads came in buuuuuuuut:
Turns out the store shipped out the perforated pads instead of the originals. Are the perforated pads a step down from the ogs to the point where I should exchange these ASAP or am I still good with these?

Jun 30, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #693 of 756
Perforated pads = bass leak

In other words, if you want the most (sub) bass - return them.

Jul 9, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #695 of 756
Hi guys, I've been into headphones for a while now but new to pad swapping. I like bass slam and more so, the subbass clarity (read Flea's basslines from RHCP and prefer to hear every note). After being disappointed with the stock pads on the HE 560's, I swapped them for MrSpeakers Alpha Pads. I have a mixed feeling till now. I can totally feel more speed and slam but the mids and highs are so pronounced that I am feeling a bit lost on the subbass. But the quality is definitely there like crystal clear but maybe not the quantity (my favorite can till now is the HD 600).

My short question is, does the ZMF Ori offer anything more bass-wise over the Alpha pads?

Thanks.

Jul 9, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #696 of 756
I don't know what foam material the Alpha pads are made of, but if they aren't made of memory foam, then you will most likely hear more punch and sub bass impact with Ori and other pads made with memory foam and (p)leather finish. If you feel you get too much treble, then you could start off by putting some cloth (velour for instance) on the inner "walls" of the pads. This will absorb the excess treble while retaining the bass and punch you get with leather pads. To maximize sub bass quantity, make sure the pads are mounted air-tight to the cups. Use soft and sticky double sided tape for this task.

Sep 17, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #697 of 756
I have the HE4xx.
I've been reading a ton on replacing these, and the ZMF Ori comes up very frequently.
I just wrote to ZMF and they immediately suggested the Auteur Lambskin solid.

given that these cost almost half as much as my headphones I want to be pretty careful about what i end up ordering...

thoughts on Ori vs. Auteur (vs. Massdrop Dekoni ? - don't let the $35 price tag fool you, it's +$30 for lambskin HE series)

Sep 17, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #698 of 756
I just checked the Auteur vs. Ori pads. The latter are out of stock at the moment. However, if you check the inner size of the pads - the "ear cavity" - the Auteur is slightly taller (72mm vs. 70mm) and markedly wider (58mm vs. 50mm). This difference in size will change the overall tonality. The smaller opening will sound darker than the larger.

Please note, that the outer dimension of the Auteur is larger than the HE4xx cups! Not by much, but it is worth mentioning. The Ori will fit nicely.

What is the best tonality for you and HE4xx? Only you can tell after listening... It might also depend on the amping and DAC you have.

I expect either of the two pads will yield more and better bass than you get with stock pads. If you just can't get enough of that punchy, thundering bass - then go for the Ori. If you would like more and better bass than you already have, but not overly much more, then I would get the Auteur.

Note however, that all this is based on a general understanding of how pads change the sound on my HE-6...

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #699 of 756
hey @LarsHP thanks so much for the thoughtful response. i ended up listening to my wallet instead of my ears and picked up a pair of the massdrop Dekoni velour. maybe i'll circle back to something in lambskin if i keep these for the long run - i've only had them a few weeks now
upload_2018-9-18_9-4-6.png

Sep 18, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #700 of 756
OK. My experience tells me that velour will tame treble and might yield a better soundstage and resolution, but at the expense of bass quantity and dynamics. If this is what you prefer, then all is well.

There are protein leather options that provide the general qualities of real leather, but much cheaper, for instance the Brainwavz HM5 pads in protein leather.

Sep 18, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #701 of 756
OK. My experience tells me that velour will tame treble and might yield a better soundstage and resolution, but at the expense of bass quantity and dynamics. If this is what you prefer, then all is well.

There are protein leather options that provide the general qualities of real leather, but much cheaper, for instance the Brainwavz HM5 pads in protein leather.

Yeah, we'll see how it ends up and I can post my impressions (though I don't hve a ton of experience to compare against), but according to their website this is a kind of magical velour, so hoping for the best

"This model features a velour material that is not quite alcantra but not the typical velour you find on other ear pads. This velour is softer and more breathable while still acting like a traditional protein leather in the way it doesn’t absorb all the low end you lose to most velour ear pads."

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #702 of 756
Yeah, we'll see how it ends up and I can post my impressions (though I don't hve a ton of experience to compare against), but according to their website this is a kind of magical velour, so hoping for the best

"This model features a velour material that is not quite alcantra but not the typical velour you find on other ear pads. This velour is softer and more breathable while still acting like a traditional protein leather in the way it doesn’t absorb all the low end you lose to most velour ear pads."
This really sounds intriguing. I have taken the trouble to modify my leather / protein leather pads in order to get "the best of two worlds". If this material is as airtight as leather while having the properties of velour, then this should be a winner! Looking forward to your impressions.

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #703 of 756
This really sounds intriguing. I have taken the trouble to modify my leather / protein leather pads in order to get "the best of two worlds". If this material is as airtight as leather while having the properties of velour, then this should be a winner! Looking forward to your impressions.

it sounds like these hybrid style ones might meet your requirements out of the box, speaking of best of both worlds. (they're more expensive than the all velour version that i ordered, but you can save a few bucks by getting them through massdrop for however long they're offered there).

Sep 18, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #704 of 756
it sounds like these hybrid style ones might meet your requirements out of the box, speaking of best of both worlds. (they're more expensive than the all velour version that i ordered, but you can save a few bucks by getting them through massdrop for however long they're offered there).
Oh-oh! Perforated (protein) leather is the worst! It both leaks bass and reflects upper frequencies... but the ones you got might be interesting.

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #705 of 756
I have HE-500 for 4 years now and I have tried some earpads on it.
I had stayed long time with Focus Pad and Focus Pad A whom are very well for the HE-500.
Recently I think I have found better with the Dekoni Fostex TH900 Elite Hybrid earpads.

Here is my take on pads with the HE-500:
  1. Dekoni Fostex TH900 Elite Hybrid: Best in clarity and bass impact. Best build quality. My favorites.
  2. Focus Pad A: Very good too, a bit more darker than the dekoni. Standard build quality.
  3. Focus Pad: Almost identical to Focus pad A but with slightly lighter bass.
  4. Brainwavz hm5: Really different than other, but kind of fun. Standard build quality but the fit is not perfect.
  5. ZMF Ori Lambskin: I didn't like them, it felt congested. Very good build quality.
  6. Mr Speakers VOCE (Estat): Change the sound very much, lost bass impact. Good build quality.
I didn't mention stocks earpads because I find them not comfy at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back