Mission: Replace the HiFiMAN ear pads with other brand ear pads
Oct 29, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #706 of 756
I have HE-500 for 4 years now and I have tried some earpads on it.
I had stayed long time with Focus Pad and Focus Pad A whom are very well for the HE-500.
Recently I think I have found better with the Dekoni Fostex TH900 Elite Hybrid earpads.

Here is my take on pads with the HE-500:
  1. Dekoni Fostex TH900 Elite Hybrid: Best in clarity and bass impact. Best build quality. My favorites.
fwiw Dekoni now has HE series pads. I got their elite velour for the HE 4xx and really like them (thought the Focal A they ship with were terribly itchy). Kind of wish I'd gone for the sheepskin, but $.

Nov 5, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #710 of 756
So what do you think about it ? :)

I liked the original faux leather earpads but these are better. Smoother treble maybe the tiniest loss in bass impact but it made them sound more open. The midrange sounds a little different but I can't put my finger on exactly what it ours but it's good .Maybe vocals are a little bit further away .
Overall I like it

Nov 25, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #711 of 756
Nov 25, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #712 of 756
After my original pads broke twice on my Sundara even while being super careful I decided to get a pair of Brainwavz XL Large Sheepskin Leather from amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076SLL6BK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Sound signature didn't change much. Slightly more bass slam and soundstage. A bit more pressure in the backside of the headphones (since these aren't angled) making them very slightly less comfortable than original pads but still super comfortable.

I will not go back to the original pads. Those have crap durability. The glue on the rings is absolutely trash and can't believe they sell those for 40+ bucks.

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #713 of 756
My short question is, does the ZMF Ori offer anything more bass-wise over the Alpha pads

The Alpha pads you are using are too thick - which gives more mids/highs. Try Ether C Angeled. They are the best pads I have tried on the HE-500, 4XX, HE-5LE, and I suspect that HE-6 as well.

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #714 of 756
I have HE-500 for 4 years now and I have tried some earpads on it.
I had stayed long time with Focus Pad and Focus Pad A whom are very well for the HE-500.
Recently I think I have found better with the Dekoni Fostex TH900 Elite Hybrid earpads.

Here is my take on pads with the HE-500:
  1. Dekoni Fostex TH900 Elite Hybrid: Best in clarity and bass impact. Best build quality. My favorites.
  2. Focus Pad A: Very good too, a bit more darker than the dekoni. Standard build quality.
  3. Focus Pad: Almost identical to Focus pad A but with slightly lighter bass.
  4. Brainwavz hm5: Really different than other, but kind of fun. Standard build quality but the fit is not perfect.
  5. ZMF Ori Lambskin: I didn't like them, it felt congested. Very good build quality.
  6. Mr Speakers VOCE (Estat): Change the sound very much, lost bass impact. Good build quality.
I didn't mention stocks earpads because I find them not comfy at all.

I've had the 500's for a year. I don't like the Dekoni Fenestrated for the X00 (loss of bass impact); Agree on the ZMF Ori Lambskin - muddled bass

Focus Pleather - meh; Focus A - good overall.

MrSpeakers Ether C Angled - Excellent low bass, measurably the flattest treble I've ever seen on any published test. Excellent focus, seems to clear up cruft, and allow instruments to have a quiet black background.

Feb 5, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #715 of 756
Hello guys, I recently purchased the Brainwavz Angled Pleather pads for my HE560. I haven't purchased a spare pair of those plastic mounting rings (Cost including shipping comes to $27, yikes!).
Does anyone here have any experience with these particular pads on the HE560s? Any way to reuse the plastic rings from the stock focus pads without destroying them?

Thanks

Feb 5, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #716 of 756
Hello guys, I recently purchased the Brainwavz Angled Pleather pads for my HE560. I haven't purchased a spare pair of those plastic mounting rings (Cost including shipping comes to $27, yikes!).
Does anyone here have any experience with these particular pads on the HE560s? Any way to reuse the plastic rings from the stock focus pads without destroying them?

Thanks

If they are glued in you are faced with the task of disconnecting them, and avoiding ripping the material of the pads. I'm a big tinkerer, but when faced with this twice in the last two years I bought rings (one - HFM; one for Fostex, plus spares for the future). I had to cut down the material of one pad to install the ring with enough room for it to click into the cans.

In some cases you can buy pads with the rings already installed - not sure in this case.

Hope any of that helped.

Feb 14, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #718 of 756
My probably last customization of the HE 560. Postman just dropped off MrSpeakers Ether Flow angled pads. It's its fourth pad swap. It wore stock, Dekoni and Alpha pads before. Now the thickness is just perfect praise be to Allah/God. Thanks random guy on Massdrop. Trust me when I say, that these behave the best with these MrSpeakers stuff than Dekoni or Brainwavz (which most like). At any rate I think I have spent more on pads now than the headphone itself. No regrets - I loved experimenting with these.

NWPF8bn.jpg

JYS8aS2.jpg

ePgMCXX.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back