Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Apr 14, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #2,926 of 7,277
hahaha congrats
smile.gif
If I may I ask, how the heck did you miss soldering them to ground?
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #2,927 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by penneydude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, it was my fault - I forgot to connect the other end of the power caps to the ground, haha.

Noob mistake, but it's working perfectly now and it sounds GREAT! Thanks for your help guys, and thanks to Pete for the design.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well done, its usually something simple,
enjoy the amp

Apr 14, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #2,929 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by zkool448 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hahaha congrats
smile.gif
If I may I ask, how the heck did you miss soldering them to ground?
wink.gif

I was working away a couple nights ago and decided to take break, so I walked away and when I came back I guess I just forgot where I left off. After that I printed the schematic off and started crossing stuff out with a pencil to keep track, but I crossed the power caps off because they were on the board already, I assumed I had connected everything to them that had to be. Not the case apparently, haha.

It was a real "...OHHHH RIGHT" moment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #2,931 of 7,277
Well, I finished tonight. But, only one tube is lit. I changed the transistor and checked all the power connections coming to the socket. Could it be a bad joint from one of the other pins? (other than power if that makes sense)

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #2,932 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleuburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I finished tonight. But, only one tube is lit. I changed the transistor and checked all the power connections coming to the socket. Could it be a bad joint from one of the other pins? (other than power if that makes sense)

Focus on the heater circuit. This is the wiring that connects Pins 3 and 4 of each tube to Pin 3 of the respective MOSFET and to C3 or C5, depending on which tube you're looking at.

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #2,934 of 7,277
I'm not quite sure if you've already tried swapping the tubes, nevertheless most likely Tomb's suggestion will help you find the problem (you want ~19V at the points tomb mentioned with respect to ground).

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #2,936 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by zkool448 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha, i've done similar boo-boos before too and yours reminded me of that "ahhhhh, dang it!" moment I had
smile.gif

Forgetting to put the heat shrink over the wires BEFORE you solder everything together is another good one, which I did quite a few times.

Apr 15, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #2,938 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleuburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well guys, the connection from the mosfet to the socket is fine. I double checked all the power connections, and still only one tube will light. Any ideas?

Well, I hate to say it, but if the problem is not the tube, then it's a connection somewhere. Look harder.
wink.gif
Have you actually put a meter to the heater pins and can you read voltage there when the amp is plugged-in/turned-on? How does it compare to the voltage for the same pins on the tube socket that lights?

EDIT: It might be a blown MOSFET, too. Can you read voltage across the pins (1 and 3 or 1 and 2) of the MOSFET? How does it compare to the operating channel?

Apr 15, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #2,939 of 7,277
I'll check the voltage when I get back from my instructor meeting. It's not the mosfet. I switched that already. I thought it could be the cheap socket I got from the tube center, since I checked all the connections, and then double checked them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back