Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Apr 16, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #2,945 of 7,277
Finally got mine back to where it should be after using small caps for the output. Now it has a big pair
biggrin.gif

Woo, now it has bass and body!

Apr 16, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #2,947 of 7,277
I think you'd be alright if you just watch the heatsink temps and if possible check the junction temperature (where the FET meets the heatsink). Provided you keep both of those within spec I can't see a reason why it'd be a problem.

Apr 16, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #2,949 of 7,277
I think Nate is advising to make sure that the heat is transfering well from the FET to the heatsink. What did you use in between them? If you're sure there is good thermal transfer and you can leave your hand on the heatsink, then you are probably fine.

Apr 16, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #2,950 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, got a quick question for the gurus.

How detremental is it to run a SS at full tilt for extended periods?

I have some very inefficient phones that are barely reaching listenable even at full volume, so is this damaging to the amp running like this or is it fine
smily_headphones1.gif

Apparently you need to build a balanced SS for those headphones.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #2,952 of 7,277
Quote:

Instantaneous current draw varies, but average current draw is constant -- i.e., the amp runs in deep class A -- so signal or no signal, full tilt or no tilt, the "wear" on the amp is the same.

By the way, add a bypass cap to Rk to increase gain. If you need more, add a CCS load to the tube.

Apr 16, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #2,954 of 7,277
Quote:

I'll let you know. That's the only way old rockers like me can listen to anything.

Larry the Tube Guy says : Getter Done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back