Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Jan 1, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #1,847 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegamajor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks digger! For the next possible build I have been thinking about the MiniMAX; not sure though.

Before I get too ahead of myself though I want to determine how to hear the difference between tubes. I have 6 total (all side D getters and are RCA tubes rebranded as Hytron) for my SS amp and I have swapped them in and out and honestly have not been able to hear a difference, aside from the fact that some of the tubes are slightly more microphonic than others. With all that in mind I'm not sure then if I would be able to appreciate something like a MiniMAX over the SS, though I would enjoy building one.

I think I'm gonna sell my miniMAX Lansing case.
I don't have time or money to build it now.

Jan 1, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #1,848 of 7,277
What is that piece? I've seen it in a lot of builds.

what_is_that.jpg

I want to use it for my build but I can't find it since I don't know the name.

Jan 1, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #1,849 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by thetelevisi0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to use it for my build but I can't find it since I don't know the name.

Its a "terminal strip" or "tag board" and a few other names depending on who is describing EXACTLY what. but searching terminal strip will get you the 2 most common uses, one of which is totally not this.

Jan 1, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #1,851 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzy OneThree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ omegamajor

Where did you get that on/off button? I think I have seen a few others use it, and it looks really cool.

you can see the switch HERE

amb sells a nice set of boards to use it with since its a momentary switch...well mine is. it looks like there is a latching version as well. BTW the switch is kinda pricey...

Jan 1, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #1,852 of 7,277
Fuzzy: The pushbutton I used is Mouser part # 117-MP0045/1E2RD012. It is a maintained contact, not momentary, so you wouldn't need the boards that vixr was mentioning. I wanted to use this button after I saw it on bmw's amp so I tracked it down. The reason it's expensive is because it's vandal-resistant, meant for installations in publicly used devices. Try looking at the price of the touch-sensitive switches used in elevators sometime.
eek.gif

digger: If you are going to sell your lansing case, I may be interested. I assume it's one of the custom run that tomb did? Which color? Let me know and maybe we can work something out. Of course, it's entirely up to you if you want to sell it.

Jan 1, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #1,855 of 7,277
^yea I think I wanna sell it. It's silver, Beefy just posted a pic of one onthe miniMAX thread.
I'll do ya right on the price. I can open it up and take a pic if you want.
PM me if your interested. No hurry.

Jan 4, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #1,859 of 7,277
Finished mine tonight. This is my first diy and I am pleasantly surprised with how well it went. Case work was a pita, but it worked perfectly on first power up (minus needing to switch out a dead tube, good thing I ordered an extra).

I can only turn the volume knob ~5% to keep it in usable range with a set of SR225. I think I will add a 50K resistor to both inputs right after the rca jacks, correct me if this is the wrong way to fix this.

Jan 4, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #1,860 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by blynch1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can only turn the volume knob ~5% to keep it in usable range with a set of SR225. I think I will add a 50K resistor to both inputs right after the rca jacks, correct me if this is the wrong way to fix this.

This worked well for me. Since you need 2 resistors to do this, even a starving student could spring for high-quality resistors...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back