Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Jan 6, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #1,876 of 7,277
Well I just finished up my second starving student build, maybe a starving homeowner this time? I used a much smaller case this time around, a Hammond 1455L. I chose to use some 470uf 63v Nichicon KW caps and .22uf K42Y-2 PIOs. The pot is an Alps RK27 100k, I like this pot because it gives more usable volume adjustment than the 50k Alpha in my other build. I also sprang for some Cardas RCA jacks and I used the same Neutrik phono jack as in my first one. I got some 2" tall heatsinks this time, which I recommend, they stay much cooler.

Sound so far isn't much different than my first one, but its only been operational for a couple hours, so the caps aren't burned in yet, and I'm also burning in a new pair of tubes. I can tell that the Alps pot is better than the Alpha though, better channel balance, and it sounds smoother when adjusting volume.

And I see someone let the cat out of the bag about the tubes on ebid, haha, thats where I got the 7 I have, and I was going to pick up a few more this weekend because I saw he had other brands than RCA, but they were all gone!
frown.gif

Anyways, some obligatory pics, I think it turned out nicely.
Millet2cropped.jpg

038.jpg

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #1,877 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coreyk78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I just finished up my second starving student build, maybe a starving homeowner this time? I used a much smaller case this time around, a Hammond 1455L. I chose to use some 470uf 63v Nichicon KW caps and .22uf K42Y-2 PIOs. The pot is an Alps RK27 100k, I like this pot because it gives more usable volume adjustment than the 50k Alpha in my other build. I also sprang for some Cardas RCA jacks and I used the same Neutrik phono jack as in my first one. I got some 2" tall heatsinks this time, which I recommend, they stay much cooler.

Sound so far isn't much different than my first one, but its only been operational for a couple hours, so the caps aren't burned in yet, and I'm also burning in a new pair of tubes. I can tell that the Alps pot is better than the Alpha though, better channel balance, and it sounds smoother when adjusting volume.

And I see someone let the cat out of the bag about the tubes on ebid, haha, thats where I got the 7 I have, and I was going to pick up a few more this weekend because I saw he had other brands than RCA, but they were all gone!
frown.gif

Anyways, some obligatory pics, I think it turned out nicely.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...et2cropped.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...dunski/038.jpg

Looks real nice. I'm planning to build another MHSS too. I'm happy to see your larger heat sinks look nice. I'm going to use larger ones too. I want them to be taller then the tubes
wink.gif

What sockets are those? I'd like some that mount under the case. Mine sit on top.

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #1,879 of 7,277
Jan 6, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #1,880 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks real nice. I'm planning to build another MHSS too. I'm happy to see your larger heat sinks look nice. I'm going to use larger ones too. I want them to be taller then the tubes
wink.gif

What sockets are those? I'd like some that mount under the case. Mine sit on top.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

The sockets are from Audiograde on ebay, doesn't look like they have any 7 pins up for sale right now though.

Jan 6, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #1,881 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone pointed out to me that my description was accurate for a power coupling cap, but the ones your asking about are DC decoupling caps. I liked the analogy he shared with me, so I'm gonna steal it and take all the credit
very_evil_smiley.gif

(just kidding, ruZZ.il deserves the credit for pointing out my error)

Let's build on the water/sink analogy. We will call the water flow DC current. The AC (the music signal) is represented by changes in the flow or pressure. Now lets put a rubber membrane into the pipe to block the water. So now it won't let the water flow (DC) but the changes in vibration will make the membrane vibrate, so those are transferred down the pipe (ie the AC signal or music). Again, the difference between the caps is a speed issue. Films respond faster, but to smaller vibrations. 'Lytics respond to the larger changes at lower frequencies. It makes sense to me, but I'm not sure I'm explaining it well.
tongue.gif

Thanks for the PM ruZZ.il
I'm learning a lot about electronics still, so every little bit helps
smily_headphones1.gif

wow - that's a great analogy - i've heard a few trying to create an analogy between a water reservoir and a cap, but it simply cannot explain the dc blocking aspect as well - the membrane idea works a lot better...thanks for sharing

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #1,882 of 7,277
Hi!
Where Can I buy some 19J6 tubes from different brands? Like Sylvania or RCa?
I searched a lot and I didn't find any storees where I can buy them..
Or if it's possible, are any alternative tubes to the 19J6?

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #1,884 of 7,277
If anyone has a pair of top Halo Getters I would be interested.

BTW: The Raytheon and Sylvania are the same tube. The same construction, printing, print size, and print colors ( yellow brand label and white "19j6").

To anyone who is looking at other brands please consider this.

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #1,885 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone has a pair of top Halo Getters I would be interested.

BTW: The Raytheon and Sylvania are the same tube. The same construction, printing, print size, and print colors ( yellow brand label and white "19j6").

To anyone who is looking at other brands please consider this.

I have a single RCA top halo getter, but I'd like to try and find a second one for myself.

Jan 7, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #1,887 of 7,277
Jan 7, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #1,890 of 7,277
All of my tubes have getters in the top. None of them are in the side like the one in the picture. Some have vertical getters that are U shaped, some have horizontal rectangular ones, and others have horizontal round ones. In all except the round ones, the accompanying splotch of metal on the glass is on the side of the tube. With the round getters, it's the entire top of the tube. I assume the round ones are the only ones considered halos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back