Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Nov 11, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #1,516 of 7,277
Quote:

Do you guys think this will work OK?

Yeah.

...man with those 19j6s going into obscurity the "starving student" is really earning its quotations.
It's great that Nate's gone to the trouble of making some (of the last few?) available.

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #1,517 of 7,277
How sad the 19J6s are disappearing, the SS is a great first build and I use mine all day every day at work.

I have two spare 19J6 which I'll gladly pass on for the cost of postage, but I'm pretty sure than one of them is on the fritz. Is there anything you can do about a tube that adds a humming noise into the channel?

What are the possibilities for this design being updated for some other more easily findable tubes?

Nov 11, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #1,518 of 7,277
A few weeks ago I picked up a pair of NOS Sylvania 19J6s for $12 each at Fistell's here in Denver. At the time I thought it was bit of a rip-off, but grudgingly bought them anyway. Now, I'm glad I did. At the time, I think they had one or two left.

The guy at Fistell's thought it was pretty strange that I was interested in this tube.

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #1,519 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's great that Nate's gone to the trouble of making some (of the last few?) available.

Well, it remains to be seen if I just tossed a ton of money down the toilet considering the feedback I've gotten so far on the pricing.
frown.gif
I can't believe the backlash over what is essentially $8.

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #1,520 of 7,277
Quote:

Well, it remains to be seen if I just tossed a ton of money down the toilet considering the feedback I've gotten so far on the pricing. I can't believe the backlash over what is essentially $8.

Personally I use the 1/3 rule when I do someone a favor, in that 1 out of 3 times I won't regret it.
However, the people in that 1/3 category are generally great and make it worthwhile.
Also, I take names
wink.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #1,521 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it remains to be seen if I just tossed a ton of money down the toilet considering the feedback I've gotten so far on the pricing.
frown.gif
I can't believe the backlash over what is essentially $8.

I appreciate it
smily_headphones1.gif

Unfortunately I ordered my tubes this weekend
frown.gif

I'm hoping to get all my parts in this week and build it this weekend. I know once my buddy hears it, he will want one. If you still have some, I'll probably order from you to make his.

I just had a thought, if you have trouble selling the tubes, spend (invest?) a little more $$ and build a bunch of amps. I bet there are lots of folks that would want one, but lack the skills or tools to make their own.

Nov 11, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #1,522 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malanga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strange, I found these tubes with little problem. I ordered mine from this place:
Vacuum Tubes, Inc. New Tubes, 8JU8A to 50FK5
I believe I paid 3 bucks each, plus a pair of sockets and shipping came out to about 12 dollars shipped.

I plan to put mine together later this week. I am using a nice looking cigar box as the case. I hope it works out okay!
confused_face_2.gif

I just wrote in to Jim, and sadly they're now out of the 19J6s.. Still hoping to find a pair to build an SS after term.

Nov 11, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #1,524 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuroguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My comment was about how supplies of this tube (which has been around for years) seem to have dried up in a matter of weeks.

Chances are, so long as the dealers know people are after them, a pile of these will turn up from out of a warehouse where they had been forgotten. Or, what would have constituted that pile were all trashed as useless. You would be amazed just how many random warehouses with thousands of random tubes there are. In some cases, the cost of sorting and storing is more than the perceived value of the tubes, so they end up getting trashed.

Here was an old thread about someone selling 1.5 to 2 million tubes on ebay for a quarter million dollars. This wasn't even their large warehouse, which still exists. Nobody is going to sort through all that garbage to find a couple hundred 19J6's.

Nov 11, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #1,526 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They pop up on eBay quite often; 3 pairs available now.

I did enquire with them about overseas shipping, but didn't get any reply.

Nov 11, 2008 at 8:31 AM Post #1,527 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just built one of these, sounds very nice, surprisingly nice for the price actually. I made mine a little more extreme in terms of parts

Alps RK27 POT
VitaminQ coupling caps
Muse FG output caps

Any pics or more specs on your build, seems similar to what I want?

Also why are people choosing different values for C1 & C6 (like 680uF and 470uF), why not same? Am I missing something about the circuit.

Also does putting a cap parallel across the DC input "quiet" down the noisy walwart and provide some "sink", any size recommendations? I'm seeing ~470-680uF

Also what the general consensus on output caps (C3,C5) 330-470uF? Bypass w/ a film or just leave the films for the Cathode's (C2,C4)?

I was thinking my setup (maybe):

C3/C5: 470uF BG's/Muse ES/--- ... possibly bypassed .22 or .47uF VitQ's or K40Y's
C2/C5: .22uF VitQ's
C1/C6: 470uF Muse KZ
C"0"(DC In Cap): 680uF Muse KZ

Nov 11, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #1,528 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, I have another power supply question :p

It seems difficult to find specs on Cisco supplies. When I search for PSA18U-480C, that seams to be the model # for Cisco P/N 34-1977-03. I got a hold of a 34-1977-04, but the model number says EADP-18FB. It still says 48V and 0.38A, but I can't find any documentation on the differences between the 2 P/N's.

Do you guys think this will work OK?

Yeah that's fine, it's the one I have.

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #1,529 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I appreciate it
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I just had a thought, if you have trouble selling the tubes, spend (invest?) a little more $$ and build a bunch of amps. I bet there are lots of folks that would want one, but lack the skills or tools to make their own.

me != MOT, and I don't lack for projects to occupy my time.
biggrin.gif

And I'm sure that more will become available from time to time as dealers acquire more stock. There just seemed to be a glut of folks that were having trouble finding them recently.

Nov 11, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #1,530 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by blippster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wrote in to Jim, and sadly they're now out of the 19J6s.. Still hoping to find a pair to build an SS after term.

Wow, I guess I got lucky then. One place I called said he used to throw them away because there was no demand for them! Now he has none in stock. Make you wonder, are there any other good tubes out there that are sleepers waiting for the right person to come along and build an equally good amp with? I wish I had the skill to do so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back