Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Oct 8, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #1,306 of 7,277
In retrospect, I used a 22K resistor too.

Oct 8, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #1,308 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Citizen86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure this hasn't been posted yet, but has anybody seen the Starving Student for sale? Whiplash audio is selling one with improved parts... at not such a starving student price:

Mini Millet DIY Tube Amplifier - Default Store View

It would have been about $200 for a similarly upgraded Millett SS from rds when I was looking for one.

Oct 8, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #1,309 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would have been about $200 for a similarly upgraded Millett SS from rds when I was looking for one.

Pretty expensive parts I see.

Oct 9, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #1,311 of 7,277
I sincerely hope who ever that is asked Pete's permission first. I'd also be curious to know who it is since they aren't exactly forthcoming with contact details...

Oct 9, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #1,314 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not likely to be over $60 in parts, especially when bought in bulk. 3x markup?

3x is pretty typical for professionally built gear but this "product" doesn't quite meet those criteria w/ the generic case and face plates. Looking at some of the other product lists in the DIY section and the associated prices there's a pretty clear profit motive here, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Oct 9, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #1,315 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not worth it, IMO. Way overpriced, considering the amount of parts and the price you can get it for including Muse caps and VD resistors. If they had a custom case, sure.....but, it looks like they ripped off rds's build down to the placement of everything and the parts list. How lame can you get?

That sounds very troll-like to me. So it's not a rip off if they build it like Pete envisioned, with the mouser.com parts list; but to upgrade to parts that many other people here are using then it's a rip off? How much are you charging to source the upgraded parts and build these for others? How much is your time worth?

Oct 9, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #1,316 of 7,277
Whiplash Audio is SACD-man, who is also the Qables distributor in the USA, and he is an upstanding head-fi member - I sold him some Stax a while back and bought parts from him too. I figure after $60 in parts upgrades and case for the amp, and paying someone $25/hr to build them, that maybe he makes $20-40 on the sale. I say that is reasonable.

rds sold me a DIY kit for $60, but he wanted $200 to build one for me when I PM'd him a while back (including a case and shipping from Canada). I thought both prices were fair, but I didn't have the $200 at the time (money set aside for my Woo GES build) - so I bought the kit. Why can't someone else build them and get paid for their time? I am paying someone to build mine for my son, because I can't do it myself (poor fine motor control now due to illness).

Oct 9, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #1,319 of 7,277
I have a problem with the description. His page says Mini Millett and Starving Student all over it. I know the two are not the same. Not even close. If it is a SSHH then why would he have "Mini Millett" on the page. All that does is confuse me. I wonder if that is an accident or on purpose. I also wonder how many others are confused about that but only figure it out after the amp arrives?

Not cool. Not cool at all.

Oct 9, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #1,320 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your words sound like a troll, with due respect.

I don't care who it is. The minute you copy somebody else's build *exactly* and profit off of it, it is a rip off. Period. It's a rip off when they copy someone's build down to the letter, identically. Period. There's nothing unique about this build at all, no custom case, nothing. It's an *exact* replica of rds's build. His build, parts, everything was documented on this forum. There's nothing boutique or difficult in this build, standard parts, that's what this build is about.

My time is worth alot. I don't build for others. There's no need to question me over this. I'm not selling it. I don't know what you are insinuating, but whatever it is, it's nonsensical.

Me a troll? You're kidding me.

BTW, I checked - Whiplash Audio DOES have permission from rds and Pete Millett to build these, and they make $0 on them. So there.

CHECK YOUR FACTS FIRST - TROLLBOY!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back