Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
May 28, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #361 of 7,277
postal,

I meant to say this before as well, heck of a nice build you did there. I love the creative case work.
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #368 of 7,277
Make it three of us, although my post is coming in a bit late. The amounf of control you get when wiring your ground vs. an unknown path on a case can make a difference.

In the car audio world (in the 90s), I built a probe which had a little Radio Shack amp+speaker in the middle of the circuit. With the car running, and the little amp on in one hand and the connected probe in the other, one could search for a quiet ground spot on the chassis. For instance, if you wanted your amps in the trunk (like a normal car audio nut) you could usually find that that easy-to-use bolt had far more noise than some weird spot six inches away. Sand away some paint, drill a hole, and an excellent quiet star ground location was yours.

Geez, to think I used to go through similar hassles...and had to mess with the weather as well. Head-Fi is so much better!

May 29, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #369 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya I was planning on using a star ground (tied to my metal chassis in one spot), but they're already going to be in contact with the case since they're not insulated or anything...is this going to cause problems?

If you look back a few pages to my case, it's pure aluminum, and I didn't star ground, because I didn't have isolating RCA jacks or headphone jacks. ground for the tubes is achieved by smashing a terminal strip under one of the tube socket mounting nuts. Mine is very quiet, but if I had used a different case I'm not so sure it would be.

May 29, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #370 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you look back a few pages to my case, it's pure aluminum, and I didn't star ground, because I didn't have isolating RCA jacks or headphone jacks.

Sweetness. This is all good information!
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #372 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am going to build one or two of these.

Excellent. If you've never built point-to-point this will be a great place to start.

BTW: manaox2: one more post to supremus for you! Congrats!

1100 for me!

Jun 2, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #375 of 7,277
Nice job, rds. I like your built-in ability to swap caps and resistors. Good idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back