Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Jun 3, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #377 of 7,277
wow, I've tried everything I can think of and can't get rid of this background hum. Do you guys have this humming with your amps? ...really annoying.

EDIT:
I had 680 uF on C1 and I removed that replaced it with 180 uF ( I was doing this to allow space on my board , not to fix the buzzing) and now it's dead silent. Really weird...

Sounds awesome
smily_headphones1.gif
I can't believe how quiet it is. I can turn the volume all the way up with kcs75s and I have to strain to hear anything.
Thanks Pete!

Jun 3, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #378 of 7,277
Does anyone know of a tube dealer in Europe (preferably not UK) that might have them?
Or any European Tube Dealer while we're at it ?
Most of the parts are here but i can't seem to find any 19J6 tubes...

Jun 3, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #379 of 7,277
Listening to this amp I've noticed that vocals seem to gain a little detail relative to ss amps. I think what it is is that the midrange is accentuated a little. The high range details seem a little attenuated too.
Is this just another example of transference, where I feel that that an amp that glows orange and generates a lot of heat has a nice warm sound?

Jun 4, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #380 of 7,277
Raytheon Tubes Suck
Just wanted to give a heads up that at least the Raytheon I got totally suck in that they hum in the background.
Sylvania tubes on the other hand are totally silent. YMMV, but based on my experience I would avoid the Raytheons.

I'm not used to using tubes and I thought my earlier buzzing problem had come back, but no, it's just those damn Raytheons.

Edit: It appears these tubes are very good at picking up electrical noise. In this case they were picking up noise from my touch on lamp. When I unplugged it, the noise went away.

Jun 4, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #381 of 7,277
I was trying to figure out how to build one of these at the lowest possible cost. I already have to pay shipping to get the power supply but I can't get the other parts from multiple sources like everyone does in the US (I am in Australia). Can all of this stuff be bought directly from mouser so it is just one order and one shipping bill??

Jun 4, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #383 of 7,277
See above post where I don't want multiple sources... Since Glassjar audio does a kit for the Millet Max, wouldn't they do something comprehensive for the Starving Student model? (ie. only one shipping bill!)

My only other option is seeing if I can get everything through local stores and order the power supply on ebay.

Jun 4, 2008 at 11:02 AM Post #384 of 7,277
Glass jar audio is a one-man operated service, who puts together kits for projects with a decent amount of demand, which means he needs to buy in bulk to keep costs minimal.
Also keep in mind that his kits don't include parts such as rca/headphone jacks, potentiometers, knobs, dc jack, etc.

Maybe you can ask someone here who plans to build one to get extra parts to ship your way?

Jun 4, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #386 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0b1liz3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was trying to figure out how to build one of these at the lowest possible cost. I already have to pay shipping to get the power supply but I can't get the other parts from multiple sources like everyone does in the US (I am in Australia). Can all of this stuff be bought directly from mouser so it is just one order and one shipping bill??

I too would like to build one, but I don't know where to begin sourcing parts as I live in Italy (so US distributors are out of the question) and I don't have much experience at audio DIY apart from the odd recable or cable build. Any help would be much appreciated.

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #387 of 7,277
I would like to have a few (2-4) of these built for a head-fi give-away. I'll fund parts cost for whoever builds it. Looking for somebody who has already completed one and has an attractive case solution, as well as a solution to easily acquiring all the parts (ac adapter / power supply too.) PM me if you want to team up and give something back to the community
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #388 of 7,277
Hi Ludoo .
I couldnt name an italian Seller for the parts but i'm sure there are plenty, there is nothing realy special about the parts required.
If you realy cant get them in Italy it's no problem to get the parts in Europe.
PM if you have problems sourcing parts in EU
tnt-audio is the only Italian DIY website that comes to my mind, maybe you can find someting on there though

I dont know where to get the tubes though

Jun 4, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #389 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to have a few (2-4) of these built for a head-fi give-away. I'll fund parts cost for whoever builds it. Looking for somebody who has already completed one and has an attractive case solution, as well as a solution to easily acquiring all the parts (ac adapter / power supply too.) PM me if you want to team up and give something back to the community
smily_headphones1.gif

While that gesture certainly sounds nice you're asking an awful lot of someone. Start to finish I'd wager that these amps take a good 8 to 10 hours to build, each amp that is. Donating a week's worth of time is a pretty serious donation.

Jun 5, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #390 of 7,277
Raytheon Tubes update:

Well it looks like the tubes are not really the problem, but they were picking up hum from my touch on lamp. I unplugged the lamp and the hum disappeared. This problem doesn't exist with the sylvanias (with metalized tops).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back