Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
May 20, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #287 of 7,277
still work to be done, but here's a first draft.

stst.jpg

May 20, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #291 of 7,277
I think in the near future there will be PCBs available for this project. I'm not inclined to say more at this point since I don't want to provide false hope since nothing is guaranteed. Whether they end up being from dsavitsk's layout or someone else's is yet to be determined. But I'd also encourage folks to have a go at PTP'ing the amp, it really is pretty simple and half the challenge/fun is figuring out how you want to layout your amp.

May 20, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #293 of 7,277
well - I have all of the parts here.
Just some questions:

How to mount the Mosfets? (like which pin is which)

Which pin is which on the tube sockets?

Also, I am building mine into a hammond ABS housing and was wondering what would be better to make the holes. Hot knife or drill?
I am worried that the drill might crack the case.

May 20, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #294 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How to mount the Mosfets? (like which pin is which)

And on the 8th day (insert favorite deity here) created data sheets.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Which pin is which on the tube sockets?

Look at the bottom of the socket, many have the numbers printed there. Otherwise the tradition is that when looking at the bottom the numbers increase in a clockwise fashion and pin 1 is the first pin to the right of the notch/gap/etc. A quick google search will probably yield a better explanation.

Quote:

Also, I am building mine into a hammond ABS housing and was wondering what would be better to make the holes. Hot knife or drill?

Hot knife = fail. Drilling will take patience and care but should yield much better results. It may mean drilling small pilot holes, but that's the way I'd do it.

May 20, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #295 of 7,277
I tell you I am so very sick of data sheets right now.

I am in a microprocessor system design class and to figure out how to make your stuff, you have to read the 30 page data sheets of each chip to see how it will work and how to program the memory to get it to function. Build+program = frustration, but a great feeling when you finish and have something that works!

May 20, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #298 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think in the near future there will be PCBs available for this project.

Hei ! Please, don't distort this marvel tube design with PCB !!!

May 20, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #299 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zigis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hei ! Please, don't distort this marvel tube design with PCB !!!

Whether or not pcb's end up getting made will have absolutely no impact on how great this design is. It's a gift to the community and the more people the build it (via pcb or ptp) the greater that gift becomes in my opinion. I have zero tolerance for people who want to profess that the only real DIY is ptp so if that's the message you're preaching it's falling on deaf ears my friend.

May 21, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #300 of 7,277
In regard to the matter of drilling a plastic case--

I use a cone (pencil) shaped solder tip, that I could never use successfully to solder, to melt a dimple in the selected and twice measured location on the case that I want to drill. This will let the drill tip bite right into the plastic and you won't have problems with the drill tip walking (scratching) on the surface of your box.

Start with a small diameter drill tip and work up. Be sure to safely immobilize your box so it won't rotate with the drill.

Ordinarily I find that the 1/4 inch bit will bind in the plastic and so at that point I go to a hand held reamer that I rotate in the hole a few times then measure with the part to be placed for fit. Go slow here so you don't make the hole a little too big.

Carefully clean the attached shavings from the perimeter of your hole with a large drill tip or other conical cutting tool turned by hand.

I use hand drills. Electric drills will require a little different technique.

Good luck

F

Users who are viewing this thread

Back