1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp

First

Back
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Next

Last
  1. -=Germania=-
    Yeah, this sounds like a weekend project.

I have access to a machine shop and there are always people in there working on projects who could help.

Worst comes to worst, its Dremel Time!

2. Zigis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I have zero tolerance for people who want to profess that the only real DIY is ptp so if that's the message you're preaching it's falling on deaf ears my friend.

I absolutely don't think only real DIY is ptp, I think only real tube amps is ptp [​IMG]
    This design is so easy - only few parts.
    Maybe it is good idea if someone make kits - instead PCB, made predrilled 1.5 - 2 mm aluminum plate ?

Zigis

3. tomb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Zigis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I absolutely don't think only real DIY is ptp, I think only real tube amps is ptp [​IMG]
    Maybe it is good idea if someone make kits - instead PCB, made predrilled 1.5 - 2 mm aluminum plate ?

Zigis

Easy for you to say.[​IMG][​IMG] IMHO, a person couldn't sell pre-drilled plates for 1/10 the cost and time it would take to make them.

Don't get me wrong - I know this is mostly a tongue-in-cheek back and forth, but it's hard to make up the labor just in picking out and packing boards and parts, much less something as you mention. I'm not complaining about selling parts, but don't hold your breath for anyone offering something like pre-drilled plates. It's one of the reasons FPE charges what they do.

Besides, this is a Hybrid, remember.[​IMG][​IMG]

4. n_maher Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Zigis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, I have to be honest then and say that what you think is going to have no effect on how I conduct myself. If you want to be a PTP elitist that's fine by me.

Quote:

Agreed, it's pretty simple. But I'm not going to force someone to build it one way or the other. But you can bet I'll give them options. [​IMG]
    Quote:

How is that any different than a PCB? Both are designed to make things easier for the builder. [​IMG]

5. joneeboi Contributor
    n_maher, I'm wondering what kind of screws you used to drill in the heat sinks. Did you remove the supplied soldering pins? I tried twisting it out with a few different pliers, but no dice so far. Any advice?

6. luvdunhill
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    n_maher, I'm wondering what kind of screws you used to drill in the heat sinks. Did you remove the supplied soldering pins? I tried twisting it out with a few different pliers, but no dice so far. Any advice?

stick 'em in the oven for a while. The pins are steel and the heat sinks are aluminum, and as a result have different coefficients of expansion.

7. Gross
    I grabbed ahold of the pins with a channel-lock pliers, and then with the heatsink resting against the edge of the table yank em out. I didn't pull em straight out, kinda used the head of the pliers as a fulcrum.

8. Zigis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    How is that any different than a PCB? Both are designed to make things easier for the builder. [​IMG]

I am not against make things easier for builders, just my IMHO - PCBs is not for tubes, for solid states.

However, as tomb say - this is Hybrid, than OK, we can do it both ways [​IMG]

Peace [​IMG]

9. rds
    What does the pcb do exactly? What part of it is so incompatible with tubes?

10. holland

11. holland

12. n_maher Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I used pin-less heat sinks from amb's shop. I've never had any luck getting the pins out although luvdunhill's suggestion sounds interesting. I can only imagine what my wife would say. "Honey, I just need to put these heat sinks in the oven for a while..."

Zigis,
    You're welcome to your opinion, I just happen to think that your opinion is pretty unfounded. There are plenty of wonderful examples of tube projects built on pcbs so this is the last time I'll address your opinion on the subject. Either find a way to meaningfully contribute to the thread or find somewhere else to spread the gospel of PTP only. [​IMG]

13. holland

14. trains are bad
    I would like to thank the designer of this amp. I've been listening it for a while now and it sounds amazing. Truly an audio bargain. Thanks again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    vbattach4729.jpg
    vbattach4731.jpg

15. n_maher Contributor
    Very cool layout! And I'm right there with you on your bang-for-buck analysis, it's very good.

First

Back
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Next

Last