Mid Fi - General chat for all discussions and general chat a Thread for all.
Apr 12, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #106 of 416
If you're a fan of classic rock or 80s pop and enjoy vocals and guitars I highly recommend the Cayin N3Ultra giving a vinyl like playback just intoxicating and the guitars Oh! MOMMA!
20240412_112755.jpg
Looking forward to hearing your comparison with Cayin N3 Pro.

I've the Cayin N3 Pro and found it good for the price. Yet was feeling that it could have had better resolution. If the N3 Ultra improves on it, that would be good for us consumers.

Apr 12, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #107 of 416
Mid Fi headphones for an afternoon listen.

Dan Clark Aeon Noire - Astell and Kern PA10 - FiiO M11 Plus all connected with matching GUCraftsman cables.

I’ve been considering a set of Aeon Noire for a couple of years, never quite got there though.

I’m hoping Dan develops a new model with the application of meta material in a new Noire at some point, I’m sure the E3’s are wonderful but £2k on a headphone is just daft to me, £1k is my arbitrary price limit for iem’s/headphones as above that I personally feel you are chasing the last tenths of a % in sound quality and reproduction, sure they may look nicer and have fancier packaging and accessories but if you can’t do TOTL sound at £1k then I’m not interested.

If my income wasn’t what it is living off UK disability benefits due to spms then I’m sure my values would change, 20 years ago I rode custom built mtb’s (single-speeds mostly) that were each the price of a decent 2nd car and would think nothing of spending £4k on a custom titanium single speed frame, yet you could buy a perfectly functioning bike with gears for £500 so I guess we spend what we can afford on our hobbies.

@PeacockObscura , A good idea to start this thread, most likely one I feel I could occasionally contribute to in some way. Although coming from an electronic/mechanical engineering background I’ll try a and keep my opinions about cables n’ tweaks to myself :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #108 of 416
I’ve been considering a set of Aeon Noire for a couple of years, never quite got there though.

I’m hoping Dan develops a new model with the application of meta material in a new Noire at some point, I’m sure the E3’s are wonderful but £2k on a headphone is just daft to me, £1k is my arbitrary price limit for iem’s/headphones as above that I personally feel you are chasing the last tenths of a % in sound quality and reproduction, sure they may look nicer and have fancier packaging and accessories but if you can’t do TOTL sound at £1k then I’m not interested.

If my income wasn’t what it is living off UK disability benefits due to spms then I’m sure my values would change, 20 years I rode custom built mtb’s (single-speeds mostly) that were each the price of a decent 2nd car and would think nothing of spending £4k on a custom titanium single speed frame, yet you could buy a perfectly functioning bike with gears for £500 so I guess we spend what we can afford on our hobbies.

@PeacockObscura , A good idea to start this thread, most likely one I feel I could occasionally contribute to in some way. Although coming from an electronic/mechanical engineering background I’ll try a and keep my opinions about cables n’ tweaks to myself :wink:

I feel for you, we have a friend with ms and can certainly sympathise.

The Noire are nice but I think it is an inescapable truth that the lower to mid fi IEM market represents significantly better bang for buck.

I am totally on board with your rationale. Diminishing returns kick in really fast and beyond a pretty moderate investment one is chasing really tiny subtle nuances that might be important to some but are not to me. At some point it is just a different sound not necessarily better and what is enjoyable to one person isn’t to another. Frankly some people are going to dislike even the most technically capable absolute TOTL IEM or headphones.

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #109 of 416
At some point it is just a different sound not necessarily better

Yeah, that’s it in a nutshell- it’s not as if sound quality can be quantified to such a level as to say “this is it - we have achieved the perfect sound representation possible”, there has to be a point we all set for ourselves and above that it descends into “Veblen goods” territory.

Apr 12, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #110 of 416
Yeah, that’s it in a nutshell- it’s not as if sound quality can be quantified to such a level as to say “this is it - we have achieved the perfect sound representation possible”, there has to be a point we all set for ourselves and above that it descends into “Veblen goods” territory.

I hate to admit it but I had to search Veblen Goods but I believe that is absolutely right. More expensive is thought to equal better and because it is believed to be better the perceived sound quality improves.

Frankly I know I have done that myself to a certain degree and it is probably human nature to some extent. However, I think it is good to be aware of such human foibles and be honest with ourselves in assessing why we enjoy something.

I like nice cables within a, to me, sensible price point because they look good, I get some pride of ownership and thus my user experience is improved and I enjoy the IEM or headphones and cable combination more even though it sounds the same.

Apr 13, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #111 of 416
PS: out of curiosity ... does anyone here have any IEM from back in the day (4-5 or more years ago) that are still in your top 5 or close?
Still have my Audeze LCD i4. Released in 2018. And my AK x EE Odyssey is getting up there in age too . I've really thought about selling both but I enjoy them too much with the right songs.

Apr 13, 2024 at 12:13 AM Post #112 of 416
Still have my Audeze LCD i4. Released in 2018. And my AK x EE Odyssey is getting up there in age too . I've really thought about selling both but I enjoy them too much with the right songs.
Didn't the Odyssey just release last year? 😅

Apr 13, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #113 of 416
Apr 13, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #114 of 416
Currently on my radar:

Symphonium Titan
Elysian Pilgrim OG
Elysian Pilgrim Noir
Nicehck Himalayas

I'm mostly a one-iem-man, but I am thinking to add a second set to company my anni'21.
Perhaps the Titan it is too much bass head, idk.

Apr 13, 2024 at 1:15 AM Post #116 of 416
Currently on my radar:

Symphonium Titan
Elysian Pilgrim OG
Elysian Pilgrim Noir
Nicehck Himalayas

I'm mostly a one-iem-man, but I am thinking to add a second set to company my anni'21.
Perhaps the Titan it is too much bass head, idk.

“One-IEM-man” => picking one of the most kickass IEMs of all time. Hats off to you, good sir :dt880smile:

Apr 13, 2024 at 1:19 AM Post #117 of 416
Feels like it got released in 2021? :sweat::dt880smile:

That's what I initially thought as well, but when I looked it up, I guess it was 2022?

Apr 13, 2024 at 6:44 AM Post #119 of 416
Marshall Woburn...it's not Head-Fi...but it's Mid-Fi :)

If somebody wants easy, no-hassle speakers...this is my recommendation!

I love speakers. I am a huge fan (12 hours per day, every day),
and even though I have a decent set of 2Ch speakers and an amp,
I listen to this beauty probably half a day, sometimes even the whole day, before I switch to B&W (the next day :) ).

It looks stunning. Hmm, it's Marshall, and it sounds incredible!

Cheers!

Apr 13, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #120 of 416
Marshall Woburn...it's not Head-Fi...but it's Mid-Fi :)

If somebody wants easy, no-hassle speakers...this is my recommendation!

I love speakers. I am a huge fan (12 hours per day, every day),
and even though I have a decent set of 2Ch speakers and an amp,
I listen to this beauty probably half a day, sometimes even the whole day, before I switch to B&W (the next day :) ).

It looks stunning. Hmm, it's Marshall, and it sounds incredible!

Cheers!
Indeed!
IMG_20240413_171837.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back