Mid Fi - General chat for all discussions and general chat a Thread for all.
Apr 11, 2024 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 327

PeacockObscura

1000+ Head-Fier
My attempt to find great midfi iems and sources and have good natured chat with like minded enthusiasts.
My interpretation of Midfi is a broad classification.
I see it as above ultra budget and below summitfi
Others may want to set their own interpretation

The rules are there are no rules just be kind and accepting of others opinions.

I'm an avid collector of all things midfi and having visited the heady heights of the summit fi groups want to encourage discussion on generally affordable options on the market.

Input is encouraged for all levels of audiophile users to help spread the knowledge we have all gained in this rabbit hole.
Picture for attention,
The Alpha Omega RA from a boutique brand from Malaysia
https://www.alphaomegaciem.com/ra

Alpha Omega RA-1 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 327
20240325_140028~2.jpg

The Miroak-II Kalimantan, another boutique brand this time from Japan a one man operation who hand makes all the iems. All versions are single DD iems with a choice of different materials for faceplate which effect the sound signature.
The version I have is a superb, dynamic sounding iem with very clean and forward mids and big bass giving a visceral playback that really works with my library of classic rock.
https://blog.634ears.com/en/

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 327
The Ra looks so pretty and all the shells I've seen are unique. The 634 Ears iems also look very unique and I've heard nothing but good things about them.

My recent mid-fi discovery was the $450 iFi GO bar Kensei which is just a phenomenal dongle DAC.

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 327
Following :)

I ordered the Symphonium Titan yesterday from headphones.com and they should be shipping tomorrow the 12th.

Super excited to hear these. I must admit I fell for the hype. 🫣

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 327
Howdy! I am excited for the new Crin Dusk and its new in-cable DAC/amp system. USB C cables for IEMs are very convenient, especially for folks like myself where the Air Pods Pros are uncomfortable. LCDi4 was the last IEM system that used such technology (but with Lightning), and it worked very well.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 327
Howdy! I am excited for the new Crin Dusk and it's new in cable DAC/amp system. USB C cables for IEMs are very convenient, especially for folks like myself where the Air Pods Pros are uncomfortable. LCDi4 was the last IEM system that used such technology (but with Lightning), and it worked very well.
The Moondrop May also comes with the DSP cable.

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 327
Following :)

I ordered the Symphonium Titan yesterday from headphones.com and they should be shipping tomorrow the 12th.

Super excited to hear these. I must admit I fell for the hype. 🫣

Ja, same same mon ami 🥳

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #8 of 327
I am looking forward to the Dunu Da Vinci. Hope to get early impressions soon. When are they officially out?

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:44 PM Post #9 of 327
I am looking forward to the Dunu Da Vinci. Hope to get early impressions soon. When are they officially out?
Not sure when they will be released. I'm hoping to get a review pair and be able to share impressions.

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #10 of 327
Perhaps a bit of an introduction from folks would be appropriate, I am happy to start.

I have been involved in the hobby for about four years after Covid lockdowns and working from home listening to music on some modest headphones while working rekindled an interest in audio when I was younger. Other limitations within the household mean that headphones and IEM are far more appropriate these days than speakers or car audio so here I am.

I have a small collection of IEM, Campfire Solaris Mercury, AuR Ascension and Neon Pro with AuR Aurora to be ordered soon, IE600, a set of S12 for walking out and about, as well as a few headphones being Dan Clark Aeon Noire, HD600 and DT1770. Everything has midfi level aftermarket or custom cables because they look cool and give me a bit of pride of ownership, I am not a believer in cables altering sound because my experience has been that I don't hear changes.

I run them off FiiO M11 Plus, Shanling M3 Ultra, iFi Gryphon, Diablo and Go Bar, Chord Mojo, A and K PA10 or desktop EarMen ST-Amp. I have gone through a few other amps until deciding that wasn't really where I was getting bang for buck because they didn't sound different to me.

Nothing fancy but decent enough such that I feel I get probably 90% of the quality of higher end gear for a lot less money. I have another hobby that I prefer to have my entertainment money tied up in so I keep my personal audio stuff to a relative budget, one the wife still would not be keen on knowing about in detail though.

I get a lot of pleasure from the gear I have listening at home while working since I work remotely these days having moved to a small town for lifestyle choices, another byproduct of Covid lockdowns.

Varied music preferences from Beastie Boys to quintessential audiophile stuff like Diana Krall and female vocalists doing acoustic remakes is something I am enjoying at present. I am 56 so was my formative years was the 80's and 90' so I enjoy a bit of that era more than the most very modern stuff but frankly I don't really keep up to speed with modern music so I might be missing something if others have suggestions.

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:20 AM Post #11 of 327
My attempt to find great midfi iems and sources and have good natured chat with like minded enthusiasts.
My interpretation of Midfi is a broad
$200--$1500
Of course yours may differ if so please share.

The rules are there are no rules just be kind and accepting of others opinions.

I'm an avid collector of all things midfi and having visited the heady heights of the summit fi groups want to encourage discussion on generally affordable options on the market.

Input is encouraged for all levels of audiophile users to help spread the knowledge we have all gained in this rabbit hole.
Picture for attention,
The Alpha Omega RA from a boutique brand from Malaysia
https://www.alphaomegaciem.com/ra

Alpha Omega RA-1 - Copy.jpg
Following!

Though you made me feel poor. I thought $1000 and up is highend 😂

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:22 AM Post #12 of 327
Heya! I wholeheartly recommend the Timsok Ts-316, if you have a replacement cable already available. It sounds really good.
The Dusk is on its' way right now, will see how I like it. The DSP cable and especially the app has some quirks and I am not sure I trust moondrops manufacturing tolerances that much... But if I like the sound, I'll keep it. Will post an update here for sure.
Otherwise, the Sennheiser IE 600 is still a great option in my opinion.

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:22 AM Post #14 of 327
modern music so I might be missing something if others have suggestions.
New out today debut album from band English Teacher - This Could Be Texas:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back