Mid-fi closed headphones for the Etymotic lover?
May 25, 2011 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
I need that same analytical sound in a full sized closed headphone. Preferably a DJ style one as they clamp and isolate well usually. Budget is: 'mid fi' so no suggestions too extravagant please.

I can't wear IEM's anymore as my doctor advised against it because of a recurring ear infection problem leading to insane amounts of earwax (sorry if you are eating and reading) - he said it's better not to risk it!!

May 25, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 7
The new Sonys might be the go. In trying a number of IEMs and headphones in store recently, the Z1000 I felt was quite like the ER4. I haven't tried the cheaper models yet though, but I'd be surprised if they were much different.

May 26, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #6 of 7
You can try out the GMP 8.35, or the K-271MKll. The 8.35 can be mod by replacing the pads for even more flat FR. Here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed

May 31, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
You can try out the GMP 8.35, or the K-271MKll. The 8.35 can be mod by replacing the pads for even more flat FR. Here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed

+1 XD

Actually, I bought the K271MKII just for this purpose; to find the over ear equivalent of an etymotic (in this case for me the Ety8) and am quite happy with them. They have a deep clean low bass -they don't give you gobs of midbass but on your source/amp it won't be a problem- and  dryish mids just like the etys. They're treble isn't as bright though, its far more natural and these phones have great soundstage/imaging and nice depth. Texture is detail-forward and quite similar to the Ety's; but not as much so, more relaxed.

Edit: If you want something with warmth the GMP 8.35 seems right. The K271 might be closer to Ety's sound sig but that doesn't necesarily mean anything; the GMP 8.35 looks like an amazing headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back